Hi folks. Okay here's the deal- I'm an experienced Blackberry user and am well acquainted ... BlackBerry Curve forum

kendrick87 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    216413F3

Question Trouble upgrading OS. HELP!

Advertisement

Hi folks. Okay here's the deal- I'm an experienced Blackberry user and am well acquainted with the process of upgrading the software on my device. But I haven't been able to lately. Here is what I'm doing-

I have a T-Mobile 8900 currently running software version 4.6.1.231.
    I am running Desktop Software 5.0 on Windows XP sp3
    I want to install the 5.0.0.238 software.
    I've installed it on my computer.
    I've deleted the Vendor file
    Yet for some reason when I run the Desktop Software it won't install it on my phone. What's the deal? This is so frustrating. I've tried doing this on 3 different computers and none of them work. I've tried using different versions of the Desktop Manager too. Can anyone help?

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Need more details of exactly what results you're getting.

What happens when you connect to DM? Does it recognize the device? If not, you might try this thread for some help.

Did you remove the previous OS from your p-c before installing - that might help. You might try to simply execute the loader pgm - program files,common files, Research in Motion, AppLoader - execute Loader.exe. See if any of those help and report back with exact details of your progress. Good luck.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Also if you have tried all the jb has suggested with no luck try disconnecting from the net. I think the loader will do it for you.
    BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.148 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

kendrick87 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    216413F3
    Thanks moderncowboy. Disconnecting the internet made it work for some reason. Very odd!

smith.brandon.n no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21950D36
    I had the same problem with upgrading to .231. I eventually just gave up... I'll try disconnecting from the net and see if it works for me.
    Pin: 21950D36

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I am not sure why it works other than maybe when it checks for current updates it re-installs the vendor file, Maybe?

What cowboy said and the Loader.exe works well for me when I have problems updating/adding applications from Desktop Manager and it's faster too.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

PIN/ID
    21950D36
    But if it was the OS released from your carrier, would you even need to delete the vendor file? From what I understand, the vendor file is just carrier information.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    You shouldn't need to if it is from your carrier.

PIN/ID
    21950D36
    Disconnecting from the internet worked. I also had to delete the vendor file for it to work. This may be because my 8900 was originally made for Germany. So maybe German T-Mobile has a different vendor file than US T-Mobile.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by smith.brandon.n View Post
    Disconnecting from the internet worked. I also had to delete the vendor file for it to work. This may be because my 8900 was originally made for Germany. So maybe German T-Mobile has a different vendor file than US T-Mobile.
    That would be my guess!!

Quote Originally Posted by smith.brandon.n View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by moderncowboy View Post
    That would be my guess!!
    Me too. It's never a bad idea to delete the vendor file IMO whether it's from your carrier or not. I always do just as a habit.