Hey Fellow Stackers, I'm getting ready for 7 days of fishing in Belize. I'm wondering ... BlackBerry Curve forum

ckroaderick no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    325A8ECE

Traveling with an 8330 (Belize)

Advertisement

Hey Fellow Stackers,
    I'm getting ready for 7 days of fishing in Belize. I'm wondering what steps I need to take to ensure I have service in Belize.
    Should I have berry "unlocked"? What about "sim" chip?
    Kinda new at this so please be specific.
    Running 8330 with 4.5 (upgraded by Sprint) on the Sprint network.

Thanks
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

sooner no está en línea Stack Professional
    I belive the UNLOCKED is if you were gonna use a different carrier over seas, you should be fine, Id be more concerened with the useage of data over seas, Ive heard of people with unlimited data but when they leave USA that changes. I would def ask the carrier bout that one.
    Last edited by sooner; 04-20-2009 at 09:24 PM.

iLord is DEAD!

Mortgage_Man no está en línea Stack level 3
    I would also ask Sprint if you are locked in to using their preferred provider sim card while in Belize or if you can pick any local carrier in Belize. If they mandate a specific carrier sim that charges outrageous, I would unlock your phone. An unlocked phone will work with any local carrier sim in Belize assuming that carrier uses the same frequency as your phone.

Definately call your carrier so you can get these details and ask about your data costs.

Mortgage_Man no está en línea Stack level 3
    Nevermind my previous post. I was thinking you had the 8830 world edition. If you have the 8330, then you will be required to use Sprint and their roaming partners in Belize(no option for a sim card on the 8330). It may be cheaper for you to get a pay as you go sim card phone once you get to Belize. That way you are just paying what the locals there would pay to cll the U.S. I'm sure Sprint's international per minute chage would be high. You could still use the data services on the berry.

paullamm no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    319b4998
    When I went to Mexico, I called Sprint and they had to turn on an International calling plan. There is not a monthly charge. But, you pay a higher per minute. My data and sms worked fine. Hey, its only 5 days control how miuch you use it. Have a great vacation.

rxmaker1 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Request
    I have had the experience of travelling to Canada Mexico and South America. I have an 8330 and had no problems. Make sure that you call and talk to a supervisor at Sprint they will be able to tell you what additional charges will apply and if the international calling plan will be the Way to go. In each case I was able to avoid international call fees by having them enable the area I was going for a 6.00 monthly charge (which you need to cancel upon your return). Happy Fishing!! :-)