Hi I am new to Blackberry and I am having problems transferring music to my ... BlackBerry Curve forum

bishee no está en línea Stack level 1

Transferring music to SD card

Advertisement

Hi

I am new to Blackberry and I am having problems transferring music to my 8Gb SD card. When I connect the Curve to the USB attached to the computer, I get the question "Do you want to turn on Mass Storage Mode.." - to which I answer No.

I check this in the Options - Media Card and find that Total Space is 7.6GB. Great, so far. However, when I connect to the Media Manager .. somehow the Total Space 7.6Gb now says: "The Media Card is not available because Mass storage is currently in use".

I do not know why Media Manager is turning it on if the net effect is to prevent me from writing files to the 8Gb media card. In the bottom pane of Media Manager, the My Devices - Blackberry 3100 [Device Memory] is highlighted, while the [Media Card] cannot be higlighted, no matter what I do. The net result is that if I attempt to transfer files from the upper pane to the lower pane of Media Manager, I used to get a "cannot transfer XXX file" ... but now I get a runtime error and Media Manager Freezes.

Please will someone tell me what I am doing wrong and hopefully guide me to an idiot-proof guide where I can learn what to do?

Thanks
    Last edited by bishee; 05-16-2008 at 08:56 PM. Reason: spelling error

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    I always say yes to mass storage mode when I want to use the media manager to load songs onto my card......try saying yes....
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

... but when I say yes, I get "The Media Card is not available because Mass storage is currently in use". And I cannot transfer music files because I cannot select the card in the lower pane

Bish

Quote Originally Posted by bishee View Post
    Hi

I get the question "Do you want to turn on Mass Storage Mode.." - to which I answer No.

I check this in the Options - Media Card and find that Total Space is 7.6GB. Great, so far. However, when I connect to the Media Manager .. somehow the Total Space 7.6Gb now says: "The Media Card is not available because Mass storage is currently in use".

Thanks
    Sorry, in your original post you said you get that message when you say no, that's why I suggested trying yes...or does it say that no matter whether you say yes or no?
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

bikedogrun no está en línea Stack level 2
    I am new to Blackberry and I am having problems transferring music to my 8Gb SD card. When I connect the Curve to the USB attached to the computer, I get the question "Do you want to turn on Mass Storage Mode.." - to which I answer No.
    Uhm... you're trying to use a 8gb card on a curve? Unless you also have the Sprint/Verizon 8330 or OS 4.5 beta installed, it just ain't gonna work! The released OS for the Curve (whether 8300/8310/8320) is OS4.2.2.xxx and only supports up to a 4GB card.

The other likely problem is trying to use Roxio Media Manager... don't. Its flaky.

Like Azstar suggested, just answer "Yes" to Mass Storage Mode (make sure in Options that media card support is set on, no encryption mode, mass storage support is set on and Auto Enable mass storage is set to yes.

Then just drag/drop via windows explorer or better yet, get a USB Card Reader that supports microSDHC cards up to 8gb.

/BD

Quote Originally Posted by bikedogrun View Post
    Uhm... you're trying to use a 8gb card on a curve? Unless you also have the Sprint/Verizon 8330 or OS 4.5 beta installed, it just ain't gonna work! The released OS for the Curve (whether 8300/8310/8320) is OS4.2.2.xxx and only supports up to a 4GB card.

The other likely problem is trying to use Roxio Media Manager... don't. Its flaky.

Like Azstar suggested, just answer "Yes" to Mass Storage Mode (make sure in Options that media card support is set on, no encryption mode, mass storage support is set on and Auto Enable mass storage is set to yes.

Then just drag/drop via windows explorer or better yet, get a USB Card Reader that supports microSDHC cards up to 8gb.

/BD
    Thanks - yes, I am using an 8Gb card.

Thanks to your suggestion, I have successfully transferred the music via the memory adaptor that I plugged into the USB port of my computer. I was using Roxio Media Manager and it made no difference wether I allowed Mass Storage Mode or not. I still could not transfer the music.

One final thing - will this device play .wma files as well as .mp3 ones?

Thanks to your suggestion, I have successfully transferred the music via the memory adaptor that I plugged into the USB port of my computer.

One final thing - will this device play .wma files as well as .mp3 ones?
    You're welcome, glad you're now up & running... and no - .wma will not play today (but "might" in the future on the Blackberry Bold).

/BD

Thanks for this...

now that I have my music on the 8Gb card, I cannot access it for further additions/modification unless I remove it from under the battery and put it into the memory adaptor.

With the BB Mass Storage Mode ON, and the BB connected to the computer by USB, the BB is not recognised as a usable Mass Storage Device since selecting the 'removable device' tells me to "please insert a disk into removable disk H". This is going t be a pain to do each time unless I can access the SD card with it nestling under the battery ..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bikedogrun View Post
    You're welcome, glad you're now up & running... and no - .wma will not play today (but "might" in the future on the Blackberry Bold).

/BD
    I am able to play .wma files on my 8130.....so that must mean other 4.3 or higher OS users can also.

Edit: Actually .wma is supported on many devices with device software 4.2.1 and higher, here's a link to RIM's site that lists supported file types:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/searc...200%2061037554
    Last edited by azstar; 05-18-2008 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    I am able to play .wma files on my 8130.....so that must mean other 4.3 or higher OS users can also.

Edit: Actually .wma is supported on many devices with device software 4.2.1 and higher, here's a link to RIM's site that lists supported file types:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/searc...200%2061037554
    Mea Culpa ... Yes, .wma files will play on the Curve, sorry about that!

/BD

Thanks for this...

now that I have my music on the 8Gb card, I cannot access it for further additions/modification unless I remove it from under the battery and put it into the memory adaptor.

With the BB Mass Storage Mode ON, and the BB connected to the computer by USB, the BB is not recognised as a usable Mass Storage Device since selecting the 'removable device' tells me to "please insert a disk into removable disk H". This is going t be a pain to do each time unless I can access the SD card with it nestling under the battery ..

Thanks
    Strange - could you mention which Curve you have and which OS you are running???

Also - You're using a PC, not a MAC? Is it WinXP or Vista?

/BD

Yes - I am running v4.2.2.181 on an 8310 Curve and connecting to Windoze Vista.

I have the 4.3.0.17 Desktop Manager and Build 940B07S ENU Roxio Media Manager

Yes - I am running v4.2.2.181 on an 8310 Curve and connecting to Windoze Vista.

I have the 4.3.0.17 Desktop Manager and Build 940B07S ENU Roxio Media Manager
    Well - although many folks here are having problems with both DM 4.3 and Roxio, as DM is not involved when using MSS the problem is likely Vista (which many are also having issues with).

As I am not a Vista user, perhaps others can comment? Is there a Vista update that might fix this???

... and if anyone can help on the Vista issue, perhaps they could also show me a non-technical way to encode videos? I had a look at Seabyrd's BB Video Converter but all I got was 'unsupported format'

Thanks