Can anyone tell me how long a trackball will last[I have a Curve 8330] had ... BlackBerry Curve forum

rickbakes no está en línea Stack level 2

Trackball Longevity

Advertisement

Can anyone tell me how long a trackball will last[I have a Curve 8330] had a Pearl 8130 great device, trackball not so much.Love the Curve,but the trackball seem's to be the weak link.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    Don't keep it in your pocket, it will attract lint and cause issues. Best thing is to get a holster or use the pouch that came with it if you keep it in your pocket. I've had my curve for about a year now, still no issues using the pouch.

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    i wish they made a blackberry without a trackball

Quote Originally Posted by reddog187 View Post
    Don't keep it in your pocket, it will attract lint and cause issues. Best thing is to get a holster or use the pouch that came with it if you keep it in your pocket. I've had my curve for about a year now, still no issues using the pouch.
    i always use the oem holster,left the pouch in the box.the other day i was looking at the pouch and tried it.....i didn't realize it had the magnetic function also.very cool!
    Last edited by reddog187; 09-28-2008 at 04:32 PM.
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

eazid no está en línea Stack level 4
    I also have an 8330 Curve. And I used to use the blackberry pocket, but the sheath isn't best. I don't like using holsters now. So I do put it in my pocket. Dust and lint fibers do get into the trackball.

I have had to clean it once so far (in 5 months). This was last week. Disassembly and reassemble of the trackball is very easy. The fix makes it like new. So in essence the life of the trackball is indefinite. The only thing is that since I can easily remove and disassemble the track ball I eventually might just replace it so I can get a shiny new ball/pearl.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

fast84stangwife no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    318CC130
    I have an 8130 pearl and my track ball is very strange. Sometimes it works well and then other times u hav to really work with it to get it to scroll, or sometimes it won't scroll at all. Any suggestions.
    Last edited by Lavagirl; 09-29-2008 at 01:13 AM. Reason: format edit

mattdoucet no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    301CB12F
    Well you could buy the old bricks like an 8703e with the trackwheel on the side.

Quote Originally Posted by catstide View Post
    i wish they made a blackberry without a trackball

i always use the oem holster,left the pouch in the box.the other day i was looking at the pouch and tried it.....i didn't realize it had the magnetic function also.very cool!

pegb856 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    A Colata
    Quote Originally Posted by fast84stangwife View Post
    I have an 8130 pearl and my track ball is very strange. Sometimes it works well and then other times u hav to really work with it to get it to scroll, or sometimes it won't scroll at all. Any suggestions.

Clean it.

Intructions here: http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ad.php?t=38395
    As Always...

Happy Berrying!!

davidbecker303 no está en línea Stack level 2
    I keep it in my pocket too & had problems with keys or trackball being pressed. So I got a leather slipcase and keep it in that. My case has a plastic strip & groove on the front side that protects the trackball, and the case is stiff enough that you can't press keys through it. Case is cut out on the sides so you can hook up charger or headset without taking it out of case. Cost $45 for real leather but I like its look and fuctionality. Got it from cases.com, they have lots of other options.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    In order to avoid having to take it apart to clean it. What I've had great success with, is using a fresh new microfiber cloth moistened in rubbing alcohol. I use this to scrub the ball while rolling it around in it's socket. I do this once a month and my 8310 is now one year old, with a tremendous amount of usage. I do carry it in my pocket but have it in a RexRegina top loading leather slip case that covers the entire device. Therefore I can use it without a screen protector or anything else. My BB looks and works like new. An excellent solution.

Cheers

tavella81 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I had an 8830 that I never had a problem with the pearl, but my 8330 had to be cleaned within two months of using the phone. It was easy to pop the chrome ring off with a finger (from the top), take a slightly wet q-tip to the white pad below the pearl assembly to remove some crud, and it works fine again. You can also put the phone in standby by holding down the mute button. At that time, press the pearl in and start to roll it in every direction. This can sometimes break up whatever is causing the sensors to not recognize the scrolling direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Z.SmithPearl View Post
    I had a Pearl for about a year and a half before replacing the trackball.
    Thanks for your feedback on the trackball experience you had and the link, very useful.

Cheers

ShellyTunes no está en línea Stack level 1
    Is there a website to replace the trackball?

Quote Originally Posted by ShellyTunes View Post
    Is there a website to replace the trackball?
    I bought a new one, and they are fantastic it made my BB like new. Only $12.95 for the entire assembly and chrome ring. Super easy to install, took less than 5 minutes. Easier than cleaning it.

BB TrackBall

mouseman225 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Ebay is a really good place to find replacement trackballs. I've found new ones, chrome ring included, for 6 bucks, sometimes shipping is even included.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

mouseman225 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Ebay is a really good place to find replacement trackballs. I've found new ones, chrome ring included, for 6 bucks, sometimes shipping is even included.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~