I ran into an issue last night with my BB. I pulled out ... BlackBerry Curve forum
Trackball is unresponsive...
I ran into an issue last night with my BB. I pulled out my phone to write a text and everything was working fine, when i went to read the reply sent to me, I couldn't get the trackball to move the cursor at all. pressing the button works like it should, but I no longer have the ability to scroll around. As you can imagine, this has rendered my BB mostly useless (especially since its on vibrate and I cant change it!) Bettery pull has not helped, anyone have any other ideas??
Please check out the following:
1. Power the Blackberry off.
2. Take a Q-tip and dip the tip in rubbing alcohol. Blot on a paper towel to absorb excess moisture.
3. Swab the trackball with the Q-tip, rolling and depressing the ball in the process.
1. Power the Blackberry off.
2. Pry the retaining ring off with a fingernail, using equal pressure all around to insure that the three
prongs that hold it in place are not damaged. Drop assembly into palm.
3. Spray the assembly with Windex, then depress and roll the ball around in every direction.
4. Using a fingernail, flex the end of each roller away from the assembly a couple of times.
5. Allow to dry for 20 minutes.
6. Position hangers to left and right, then drop assembly back into aperture.
7. Align three prongs and gently depress retaining ring back into place.
1. Power off your Berry.
2. Lightly pry the retaining ring off as described above.
3. Drop old trackball into palm. Toss or retain as backup.
4. Prepare a Q-tip with rubbing alcohol as described above.
5. Swab the inside of the aperture, including the copper square in the middle.
6. Allow to dry thoroughly.
7. Drop the new assembly into the handheld, as described above.
8. Position the retaining ring with prongs at 3, 6, and 9 o'clock as described above, and gently press
It's good to keep a backup. Here are some sources:
Atomic Trackball, $9.99 Taiwan: http://cnn.cn/shop/blackberry-curve-...ll-p-3968.html
Standard, $12.99 incl ship from Albuquerque, NM: www.bbtrackball.com
I tried the cleaning and it worked for about 5 minutes, then I tried it again, and it was still unresponsive. tried cleaning again, battery pull again, still no luck. Is my trackball toast? and if so, what causes it? I didn't drop it or anything like that...
I had this happen with a trackwheel 3 years ago on a 7105t. Sounds like it's locked up. Depending on how old the phone is, you might have to take it back and get a replacement.
Don't forget to flex the rollers. Cleaning should work! Order a backup too
Ive cleaned it twice now and am still have intermittent "freezing" of the trackball. It will work for a while, stop working, then decided to start up again... All of the parts are clean and seem to be perfectly fine. Could it be a software problem as well? or strictly hardware? TIA
Sorry to hear you're still having problems. Please order a new trackball from:
new one ordered... Until then, I guess I get to fight with my Berry and reboot every few minutes
I just bought 2 new track balls and assemblys because mine was doing the same thing, would work one day then freeze the next.I used the methods as berryadict outlined, worked for awhile. What got mine working was to press the trackball down down, and then scroll it around while the ball was pressed in. I don't know if that's a good thing to do or not, but I haven't had a problem since. Least now I have 2 new trackballs coming lol~via smartphone~
Before you waste money replacing the trackball you can also try going here for a how to on the proper way of removing and cleaning the track ball with pictures. It doesn't involve applying liguid which is never good for anything electronic. Give that a try and if it doesn't work then order a new one.
Tags for this Thread