As the title says, physically my trackball is fine. It moves around just fine and ... BlackBerry Curve forum

campos_jeremy no está en línea Stack level 1

TRACKBALL doesn't work at all. When i reboot, phone doesn't turn off.

Advertisement

As the title says, physically my trackball is fine. It moves around just fine and it's not stuck or anything but when i'm rolling it, it doesn't register on my berry. I cleaned out the trackball with the help of one of the threads and still NOTHING. I try rebooting by holding the end button. I'm running on the rogers network, so when i reboot the screen shows the white background with the rogers logo instead of just shutting off completely. WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON???

HELP!

please & thanks

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    First off try a battery pull. Just shutting down using the end button does little more than put your BB to sleep. Also if you don't want to do a pull press the left Alt key and the right shift and delete keys at the same time and that will do a hard reset.
    BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.160 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/106

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Pull the battery out and reboot it that way
    Looking for Wallpapers or Icons for making themes? I can help!

Truth + Clarity = Power

If you are going to take the time to respond... take the time to actually understand that to which you are responding.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Listen to modern he knows his stuff with bb's. If you need help with the hardware...ask away I'm McGuiver's twin when it comes to paperclips/staples/needles/etc for bb's
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

ok, i've done battery pull before(pull batt, wait 30 secs, pop batt back in and boot up) and that didn't work. I've done the alt+aA+del soft/hard reset and that hasn't seemed to work. thanks for the help!

edit: so i have the modern bold fns theme and i just did the alt+aA^+del and now the home screen is scrolling through the whole menu. this is ridiculous!

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Is that a theme you downloaded or is it a default? I am not that up on the Bold.

Quote Originally Posted by moderncowboy View Post
    Is that a theme you downloaded or is it a default? I am not that up on the Bold.
    "Modern bold fns" is a theme I downloaded for my 8310. Ok so I did the alt + aA + del like 3x in a row. It worked, but like a half hour later my trackball would just randomly scroll on its own. My warranty is up so I can't even get it replaced!
    BlackBerry8310/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107 UP.Link/6.5.1.0.0

mbyer no está en línea Stack level 2
    Call me master of the obvious, but it is either software or hardware. I would try the following (all of which can be done without a trackball that works - hoping you can get to options by pressing "o" from the homescreen - if not, will have to think on that):

Backup entire Blackberry using DM.
    Remove any memory card (so you don't lose that data).
    Options - Security Options - General Settings - click the meny button - one of the choices should be to wipe device - deep breath and select.

If Trackball works, you had something interfering from a software/theme/application side. Restore your databases - do NOT restore your applications - and slowly add in your apps to see what offended.

If the trackball STILL isn't working after the wipe, you have a hardware issue. If you have cleaned and buffed the rollers as you describe, I am thinking either the ball unit is faulty or you have a bit of H2O (water) in the body.

Try swapping the ball unit (something liek $10 each on the net) first. If that doesn't work, depending on your torx mojo, you might consider taking it as apart as you can without using a soldering iron and blowing a hairdryer set to cool across the boards to evaporate any moisture. The circuits are TINY and a little drip will go a long way to wreck havoc. There are pictorial explanations of disassembly all over Pinstack - do a quick search if this is your first time.

Regardless - always do a FULL backup before your do any of these things - twice.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    I would get a new trackball. They're easily removable. Trust me a bizillion times easier than on any of the new devices.
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I hate to disagree with anyone but why wipe your device unless you are totally sure it is the OS causing the problem. A lot of pointless work, IMO. I would agree with rat and before you go wiping and having to reload everything first try a new ball then if that doesn't work do a full wipe and not just a security one and start from scratch.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Just a quick question, but could it be the Theme that is causing the problem? It may be worth removing it before doing anything else. There was mention earlier in the thread that you have a bold but the theme is for an 8310 which has a different screen resolution.

Please forgive me if I missunderstood, but this may be an easier first step than replacing the track ball or doing a complete wipe
    BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    Just a quick question, but could it be the Theme that is causing the problem? It may be worth removing it before doing anything else. There was mention earlier in the thread that you have a bold but the theme is for an 8310 which has a different screen resolution.

Please forgive me if I missunderstood, but this may be an easier first step than replacing the track ball or doing a complete wipe
    BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102
    Very good point. I don't know why I was thinking this had already been done.

MotoUp no está en línea BES Pro
    Yep, the theme sounds like the culprit to me as well, especially since it will work for awhile, then stop. Check how much memory you have free also.

FINALLY,
    After about doing "alt + Aa + del" 3x's in a row my trackball is finally working!

Thanks for all the solid advice! Very much appreciated!