Hi Everyone - I have had my 8300 for 4 months and I am thrilled ... BlackBerry Curve forum

Osprey no está en línea Stack level 2

Trackball

Advertisement

Hi Everyone -

I have had my 8300 for 4 months and I am thrilled with it, bar the minor problems in locating Audio files from time to time.

However, this week end I had my first Trackball issues, whereby I couldn't move around with the trackball. It was displaying similar symptoms to the track ball on a computer mouse when the mouse is dirty. I have kept my BB worryingly clean and have put a vacuum cleaner on low suction over the trackball every time I suspected dirt might have got into the system.

It is now back to normal, but can anyone tell me: what is the solution to a dirty trackball on a BBy and is there any known longer term issue with the useful life of the trackball on these machines ?

Many thanks in advance for your replies.

MR. H no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    301a4489

Re: Trackball

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ive been searching for the answer to that question sine I bought my first berry (8100 pearl) I haven't made an attemp yet but ill probly take a black marker to it once it gets brown right now its ok

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

i wouldn't recommentd taking a marker to it, maybe a damp cloth or a air cleaner. but im not too sure either about that.

untjoker no está en línea Stack level 3

Ahhh this is my most pressing Blackberry hardware question to date! I too have been searching for this answer since I got the first Pearl when it came out. I remember when I got my Pearl thinking "there's no way that will work long term" but it does. In short, just keeping your hands semi-clean before using it will do wonders, but not everyone is as OCD as I am about my Blackberry. I've been known to wash my hands before I do a marathon browsing session on my Blackberry, I know, sick right! My wife has a pearl and just throws it in her purse all the time. It's looking pretty dirty, and it's not as responsive as it used to be but it still works fine for her. Unless you are confident in your Hardware skills or have an anti-static lab room in your house I wouldn't recommend taking anything apart. Usually a good lent-free cloth that's a little damp will do the trick. I am in IT and have extensive computer hardware and software experience and I wouldn't dream of trying to crack open my housing unless it was a dire emergency. I'd be in hog heaven if they came out with a 9000 series with a trackwheel! We can hope! Also, you might try and increase the sensitivity settings in options/screen and keyboard. Default is 70 for hori and vert but increasing it may help you later as it gets a little dirtier.
    Yes, I've been diagnosed with Phantom Vibration Disorder.....

Anela808 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    4M32KN0W

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Anela808 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    4M32KN0W

Don't know wat happened up there *my previous comment* anyway, I must b very bad at keeping my trackball clean bcuz I had to exchange my phone 6x in the year I've had it due to the trackball not working. I would b so grateful to anyone who knows a way to clean it rather than do an exchange! ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by raynesmom919
    Don't know wat happened up there *my previous comment* anyway, I must b very bad at keeping my trackball clean bcuz I had to exchange my phone 6x in the year I've had it due to the trackball not working. I would b so grateful to anyone who knows a way to clean it rather than do an exchange! ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com..._pictures.html
    but be careful. if you break the assembly it will void your warranty. (although you can but another assembly for like $60)