Have any 8320 owners switched from an 8300 and if so is the track ball ... BlackBerry Curve forum

mrnrandazzo no está en línea Stack level 2

track ball Q: for 8320 owners

Advertisement

Have any 8320 owners switched from an 8300 and if so is the track ball improved? I am noticing now more than when I first purchased my 8300 that the track ball is loosening and becoming unresponsive. I came from a pearl which had a much more sturdy track ball. I did read the post a while back about dirty track balls causing issue and how to clean them, but my attempts have proven unsuccessful. I was hoping that RIM has made an improvement on this (at least the loose ball part of the problem).

nsirois586 no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: track ball Q: for 8320 owners

Dunno if this helps but I held an 8320 at the store today and the trackball felt very rough compared to my 8800 smooth roll.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Mareshalu no está en línea Stack level 2

Lightbulb Re: track ball Q: for 8320 owners

Yes the curve is lousier than the pearls and 8800 I own all of`em !

XBGM3R no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241EDEFC

Quote Originally Posted by nsirois586
    Dunno if this helps but I held an 8320 at the store today and the trackball felt very rough compared to my 8800 smooth roll.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    nsirois, I correct you that 8320's trackball feel very rough. I can't lie to you everyone.. Don't get me wrong that i hate 8320.. I admire my 8320..

abad no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30D26FDC

Yup I switch to an 8320 from a pearl and that was one of the first things that noticed.it is defently not as smooth as a pearl. But I like it so much more. awsome phone

jthomas001 no está en línea Stack level 1

I agree. I just left verizon, and my 8800 world phone for tmobile and the 8320. I really miss the smooth trackball of the 8800! I wonder if Its possible to remove the trackball and replace it with one from the 8800

sevo22 no está en línea Stack level 2

I recently switched from the 8100 to the 8320. The 8320's trackball was annoying at first, but now that it's broken in I hardly notice a difference.

eduardog21 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    215C7A2A

Quote Originally Posted by jthomas001 View Post
    I agree. I just left verizon, and my 8800 world phone for tmobile and the 8320. I really miss the smooth trackball of the 8800! I wonder if Its possible to remove the trackball and replace it with one from the 8800
    It's quite easy to switch. I did it with my wife's Pearl and my 8320 since she didn't care and I am picky as hell. All you need to do, very carefully and at your own risk, is pop off the silver ring around the trackball. It's held on by three legs that pop into place. Once that is off, you might need to remove a metal holder from your 8800 as I had to with the Pearl, but I'm not sure since I don't own an 8800, then just swap the whole trackball setup along with the rollers. Don't worry, the rollers and trackball are all one piece unless you yourself dismantle it. Then just snap back the pieces and viola. My 8320 feels a lot more comfortable with the Pearl's original trackball.

amcl no está en línea Stack level 1

Lightbulb Re: track ball Q: for 8320 owners

Quote Originally Posted by eduardog21 View Post
    It's quite easy to switch. I did it with my wife's Pearl and my 8320 since she didn't care and I am picky as hell. All you need to do, very carefully and at your own risk, is pop off the silver ring around the trackball. It's held on by three legs that pop into place. Once that is off, you might need to remove a metal holder from your 8800 as I had to with the Pearl, but I'm not sure since I don't own an 8800, then just swap the whole trackball setup along with the rollers. Don't worry, the rollers and trackball are all one piece unless you yourself dismantle it. Then just snap back the pieces and viola. My 8320 feels a lot more comfortable with the Pearl's original trackball.
    Wow! You made my day. Just completed the Pearl<->Curve trackball swap! I went a few steps further and cleaned everything. Since the trackball in my pearl was discolored, i decided to put the curve's ball into the pearls assembly. (This required me to use a pin to prop the trackball assembly open and take the ball out from underneath - i didn't want to dent the ball or the enclosure by forcing the ball through the top.)

From my inspection, it seems like the only one difference between the pearl and curve trackball assembly is the four magnetic rollers. In the pearl it's smooth whereas the curve has "teeth" which is where all that NOISE comes from. Thanks eduardog21.

Hgainiac no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by mrnrandazzo View Post
    Have any 8320 owners switched from an 8300 and if so is the track ball improved? I am noticing now more than when I first purchased my 8300 that the track ball is loosening and becoming unresponsive. I came from a pearl which had a much more sturdy track ball. I did read the post a while back about dirty track balls causing issue and how to clean them, but my attempts have proven unsuccessful. I was hoping that RIM has made an improvement on this (at least the loose ball part of the problem).

Yeah, not to be an a$$, but I went thru 3 Curves in a week and a half till I had one that was perfect... to beat a dead horse here, first one wouldnt hook up with the btooth, the local techs couldnt make it happen, so they changed it out, 2nd one dropped calls in areas that the Pearl never did (had good coverage via the network) and shut itself off once in a '5 times' while, in TWO days....and for what its worth, BOTH of them had trakballs that were kinda BURIED, stiff an hard to move by contrast to my Pearl. the 3rd ones the charm, and its why I previously posted my quiet concerns over the quality control on phones that make it out for public consumption and how making a pain in the a$$ of yourself, (something I'm generally not comfortable with) can get you a proper working device... I hope it's just me, as I've said, that got hammered with 2 funky phones, cause I LOVE this thing, I really do, and I'd NEVER want to be slaggin RIM, cause I'm MORE THAN HAPPY WITH this Curve..... NOW......

jaesternbach no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24b04967

I have noticed that my curve's trackball is a lot harder and more tactile than that of my 8800. The 8800 had a really smooth trackball, but had hardly any feedback when clicked upoon. I think overall, the curve has the best overall trackball experience over the 8800 and 8100.