do you have to get a plan for wi-fi or would it work if i ... BlackBerry Curve forum

o0xlelex0o no está en línea Stack level 1

tmobile curve.

Advertisement

do you have to get a plan for wi-fi or would it work if i went to starbucks and started surfing the web?

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

Re: tmobile curve.

You mean the @home service? no you don't have to, and yes, you don't need the @home service to use the wifi... your regular minutes will be used instead.

yensid no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~data on the other hand is a different story; you need the wi-fi hotspot add-on (not the H@H add-on) to do wi-fi data in a locked hotspot. Hopefully T-Mobile will change this soon; they just lowered their total internet add for the Dash and Wing to 19.99, and it of course includes the wi-fi data. T-Mobile works in mysterious ways; I would love to see the thought process that went into that one.

PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ now, an unlocked wi-fi spot like Panera Bread would be another question; I'm not sure about this one. I know that unless you have an internet plan, the browser icon doesn't appear; you might be able to get on the 'net through t-zones: anyone know the answer to this one?

o0xlelex0o no está en línea Stack level 1

yes, the unlocked wi-fi spot was what i intended to ask for...

harm_dzines no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I have the BB data plan w/tmo for my Curve but NOT the Wi-Fi add on.while I am able to log on to my employer's free Wi-Fi connection, while at home or at school I scan for new Wi-Fi connection and find some but ask for a "Key" in order to log in, if I were to get the Wi-Fi plan thru TMobile will this give me the key needed?
    Thanks

PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ only if it it a T-Mobile hotspot, like Starbucks. Wifi data will only work there with the key. You can find a list of hotspots that the add on unlocks. Check personal coverage check on T-Mobile.com for exact locations near you.

Ju1c3 no está en línea Stack level 2

ummmm its asking for the wep key.... get it from the admin who runs the hot spot. i have the wifi for my 8320 and i do not have the data plan, nor do i have the hotspot unlimited thing. i simply brought it home, told it to scan for a network. picked up my home network and i put in the wep. bam, connected. no need for anything else. this wireless router i had ive had for over a year. you dont need anything special. i have it set up to work at my clients places too because i work in office buildings and it connects to all of them just fine as well. great call quality too.

jkai2188 no está en línea Stack level 5

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~the call quality is good because its calling through the wifi. Which is sweet. Another thing...you can download the opera mini browser and set your apn settings so you can use that browser. If that helps out any.