Several months ago, while still using my Curve 8530, I updated the OS from 5.0.0.886 ... BlackBerry Curve forum

JavaBratt no está en línea Stack Professional

Lightbulb [TIP] Downgrade OS w/o wiping device

Advertisement

Several months ago, while still using my Curve 8530, I updated the OS from 5.0.0.886 to 5.0.0.973 and experienced a number of problems from options disappearing, to random shutting down of my device and the complete loss of bedside mode. The later of which was enough to make me want my old OS back, but I didn't know the first thing about an OS downgrade ("rollback").

So after hitting a number of forums, speaking to different people and even contacting Verizon CS I was basically told the same thing... because all of my updates were installed OTA, I would have to completely wipe my device, reinstall the old OS manually (the steps for which I found extremely confusing), all my apps etc. At that point I figured if that was my only option, I was more or less going to play around and see if I could figure out something easier and less confusing. If I messed up, it didn't matter since I was having to look forward to wiping my device. So here is how I successfully rolled back my OS without having to wipe my device and it only takes about 30-45 minutes.

First thing I tried was via BB Desktop Software. I attempted to check for updates (knowing there were none as I had the most recent version) and got the dialog box saying it checked and there were none as I expected. In the bottom left corner of that box was a button that said "View Other Versions". Click that and all the previous versions of the OS showed up with 5.0.0.973 having a check mark in the box next to it. I unchecked it, checked the box below it for 5.0.0.886 and clicked update. It then opened the dialog box showing the progress which was quickly replaced with another dialog box saying "An updated Blackberry Desktop Software component must be installed before you can continue". I then clicked install, the progress bar appeared, quickly filled as if it were complete, but it kept saying "Please wait...". I went through this multiple times and each time it would get to that point and quit responding.

Finally I deleted the Desktop Software altogether thinking I would install it over and try again. I put my Blackberry User Tools CD in, went through everything to install the Blackberry Desktop Software etc. When it was done I was shocked as it didn't download the same software as I had before, this wasn't called Desktop Software (even though that's what it said it was installing) it was called Blackberry Desktop Manager which looked completely different although it seems to serve the same purpose. I later found out this was simply an updated version of the desktop software, which in my opinion is much better than the previous version.

I then opened BB Desktop Manager, immediately created a backup of my device, clicked on "Application Loader" and then "Update Software". A list of OS updates was listed. I removed the check from OS 5.0.0.973 and placed a check next to 5.0.0.886 and clicked next. From there it was a matter of selecting what other apps I wanted, clicking next and the 12 step process began. After approximately 30-45 minutes OS 5.0.0.886 was completely restored and I didn't lose any settings in the process. All I had to do was change the setting to be prompted when deleting my email (to choose if I want to delete from device or device and mailbox) and I was good to go. I then backed up my device again, just in case, and my phone worked flawlessly

So I don't know what the difference is between how I was told to do this and how I actually did this, but this method to me had no confusion whatsoever and seemed so easy a caveman could do it LOL!

Hope this helps someone else!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4
    iPad 3 - 32GB | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Thanks JB I'm sur this will help out some newbies searching for a solution

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Well geez, JB, we coulda toldja that!

Nice to have it in a neat little package here, though, so thanks for posting.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    And there's no need to "hit a number of forums." You're in the best possible place.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaMag View Post
    Thanks JB I'm sur this will help out some newbies searching for a solution
    I hope so! I had a heck of a time finding help with it myself

Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    Well geez, JB, we coulda toldja that!

Nice to have it in a neat little package here, though, so thanks for posting.
    I wish I had only know about PS when I had the problem. At the time, Verizon, told me it wasn't possible at all, while others said that IF I wanted to try it, I could try wiping the device, manually installing the OS and a bunch of other crap I didn't have a clue about. But that seems to happen a lot... ask a question and every know-nothing know-it-all in the world pops outta the woodwork LOL!

And there's no need to "hit a number of forums." You're in the best possible place.
    I know that now

I've had nothing but bad experiences on other forums. In fact, there was one and I believe it was because of the very question of rolling back my OS. This guy gave me one answer on how to do it and when I called him on it because he was wrong, he gave me another. Wrong move with me This of course led to a long back-and-forth argument. THEN come to find out, he was a forum mod there. He managed to get my personal email and started sending me rude messages. I contacted the site admin about it and the site admin told me to "pull my panties up". I was livid! Of course this guy, because I use the same username pretty much everywhere, followed me to several other forums and started stuff with me there as well. Thankfully the know-nothing know-it-all disappeared back into the woodwork where he belonged LOL!

But I have noticed that seems to be the pattern on the larger forums... a lot of them are know-it-alls and of those, the majority are completely rude. Not a good combination in my opinion.
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

Havoc65 no está en línea Stack Professional
    nice how-to i've actually had to do that once but from OS 6 to OS 5

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc65 View Post
    nice how-to i've actually had to do that once but from OS 6 to OS 5
    Thanks! And why on earth would you want to go from OS6 to OS5? lol
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

Quote Originally Posted by JavaBratt View Post
    Thanks! And why on earth would you want to go from OS6 to OS5? lol
    cause i had to check a premium theme i made for OS 5 since i didn't have any testers for that OS i had to check out the problem myself lol

cause i had to check a premium theme i made for OS 5 since i didn't have any testers for that OS i had to check out the problem myself lol
    Wow! I'm impressed

I've ran into the same problem myself, however, I've not been ambitious enough to roll back my OS to test my themes LOL! And seriously, why on earth is it so difficult to get testers? Sheesh
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

Well normally i don't either but it sold quiet a few then the complaints started rolling in so i thought i had better

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Agreed, this is an awesome place to be!
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Yeah what he said

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

Well normally i don't either but it sold quiet a few then the complaints started rolling in so i thought i had better
    I've gotten pretty lucky so far and the only complaints I've had come in were concerning a navigation issue (knock on wood lol). But we had better not talk about that at the risk of jinxing ourselves

Quote Originally Posted by thbassman View Post
    Agreed, this is an awesome place to be!
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaMag View Post
    Yeah what he said
    I second... no wait, I third that LOL!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info