So I bought my first BlackBerry, a Pearl 8130, back in January. Verizon hadn't released ... BlackBerry Curve forum

MonkeyBizIU no está en línea Themes Pro

Thinking about switching to an 8330 from an 8130 - Thoughts?

Advertisement

So I bought my first BlackBerry, a Pearl 8130, back in January. Verizon hadn't released the 8330 yet, otherwise I would have gone with that. Now that it's out, I'm strongly considering getting one, but I need to figure out the best way to do so. My Pearl is still in very good shape, and would need only a new battery cover to look brand new. Verizon is advertising the Curve for $199.99 online with a 2 year contract and a $50 MiR.

I don't plan on switching from Verizon any time soon, so here's my thought: I'll buy the Curve and send in the MiR. Then, I'll wipe my Pearl and put it on eBay. I figure, considering I literally paid nothing for it, I can get at least the $150 to cover the Curve, and if I'm lucky maybe a little more.

I'm open to suggestions if anyone sees a flaw in my plan. Thanks!

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28
    that may work however, (and i'm not sure about verizon's upgrade policy)the price for the bb may be if you are a new customer signing up.

also if you are doing or planning on doing a lot of emails or want someting a little bigger or just want a new device go for it, but i would check with verizon first to see how much it would be
    The BlackBerry Guru

[x] My Minds Eye - Life Behind The Lens Of A BlackBerry
    [x] Pinstack Blog
    [x] Twitter

PIN/ID
    LESS
    I have to agree with Jonny on this one. Every carrier has very similar upgrade policies, but sometimes they make exceptions if you have been with them for quite sometime.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Your best bet would probably be to try retentions to see if you can get it for the new customer pricing or somewhere close. How far into your current contract are you?

I kinda got screwed when I bought my 8120 this month. I was told a few different prices ($182 when I called a local store and via email from CS, but had to end up forking out $235 when I actually got to the store I bought it from). I still sent in the $50 MIR so that kinda takes some of the sting out of what I had to pay.
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 05-27-2008 at 12:54 AM.

thecoolfool no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBizIU View Post
    So I bought my first BlackBerry, a Pearl 8130, back in January. Verizon hadn't released the 8330 yet, otherwise I would have gone with that. Now that it's out, I'm strongly considering getting one, but I need to figure out the best way to do so. My Pearl is still in very good shape, and would need only a new battery cover to look brand new. Verizon is advertising the Curve for $199.99 online with a 2 year contract and a $50 MiR.

I don't plan on switching from Verizon any time soon, so here's my thought: I'll buy the Curve and send in the MiR. Then, I'll wipe my Pearl and put it on eBay. I figure, considering I literally paid nothing for it, I can get at least the $150 to cover the Curve, and if I'm lucky maybe a little more.

I'm open to suggestions if anyone sees a flaw in my plan. Thanks!
    Sounds like you're in the same exact situation I was. I even got my 8130 the same month you did. I hate to say it but the $199 price is for brand new contracts. You're probably gonna have to pay the almost $500 that I did. But it's really worth it in my opinion. Sell your 8130 on eBay to help out a little bit.
    Holler at me if you need some fresh ringtones.

Well, here's my thinking. One of the local Verizon stores has been pretty good to me in terms of service and selling price. As an example, they gave me the online price for my Pearl, plus my New Every Two Discount (Final retail price: $53, minus $50 MiR).

If I go in and say "I'll re-up my contract for another two years if you give me the Curve at the online price", I think they'd be amenable to it. I mean, I'm not planning on leaving Verizon. I love the service. Unlocked GPS would be nice, but that's not really that big a deal to me. As a note, I've been with Verizon for five years now. I've had an LG VX6000, a Moto RAZR V3C, and now my Pearl.

A used Pearl in good condition is roughly $150-$250 on eBay. Not only would selling the phone be pure profit, but if it goes near the top of the range (something I could probably guarantee with an offer for a free set of custom themes), I could actually make money on the deal.

I guess, basically, I just need to see if I can get the online new contract price at retail. I'm going to ask around some stores here and see what they say.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Well, here's my thinking. One of the local Verizon stores has been pretty good to me in terms of service and selling price.
    Remember that if you cannot get what you want from a store, you can call cust serv. They have more latitude than the store when it comes to pricing. The advantage of calling in is that you can have the call escalated to a mgr that has much more room to deal on price. I do this everytime I get a new BB & I always end up getting the new phone for _less_ than the online price. And that's without being eligible for an up grade. There is a lot of room in the price, so negoiate a deal that works for you.

via: Red BB 8310
    (soon via: Bold)

Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    Remember that if you cannot get what you want from a store, you can call cust serv. They have more latitude than the store when it comes to pricing. The advantage of calling in is that you can have the call escalated to a mgr that has much more room to deal on price. I do this everytime I get a new BB & I always end up getting the new phone for _less_ than the online price. And that's without being eligible for an up grade. There is a lot of room in the price, so negoiate a deal that works for you.

via: Red BB 8310
    (soon via: Bold)
    I actually avoid the "official" Verizon stores. The smaller independent ones usually are more amenable to dealing, because they're driven by sales, rather than corporate directives. Also, the people working there tend to be easier to deal with. Not quite as dyed in the wool.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    I actually avoid the "official" Verizon stores. The smaller independent ones usually are more amenable to dealing, because they're driven by sales, rather than corporate directives. Also, the people working there tend to be easier to deal with. Not quite as dyed in the wool.
    Sounds like a good plan.

I popped into the local independent Verizon store, and here's what the guy told me: you can't upgrade at less than full retail price after 30 days or before 12 months, even if you re-up your contract for another two years. However, this is one guy, and I may have other luck elsewhere. I'm going to give Verizon customer service a call tomorrow and see what they say.

strtrcr no está en línea Stack level 1
    You could always add a 2nd line to your plan to get the curve @ lowest price then do an esn swap while there to put curve on your current line. Sell the pearl on e-bay and use profits to shut down 2nd line

Medic no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Stack
    ok from my personal experience and knowing a general manager at a store near my house, i know a few loop holes when it comes to this company. i have been with verizon since 2001 and i will tell you how i got a curve for free.

back in november 2007 when the 8130 was released with verizon, i was practically the first one in the door to get one now i am the type of person that uses my phone a lot and with that i tend to find glitches and flaws in the os very easily. so basically everytime i found something i would call blackberry tech support and express my concerns how verizon should get on the ball and fix these issues. make sure everytime you call that its noted on the account. so from nov 2007-may 2008 when the curve was released, i prolly called verizon with bb issues 3 or 4 times.

now this is where that retention dept comes into play. i basically got in touch with the gm i know and she said bc i have had such issues with the pearl, verizon has a trade in program to try and appease the customer. so in a nut shell i went into verizon that day and they took my pearl in the condition it was in and as a retention program gave me a brand new curve with all the accessories and all, even though all i gave them in return was just the pearl.

so with that in mind, i am stayin on top of calling about curve issues bc i am sure we all know about the possibility of verizon having the bold or the thunder in the near future and i wouldnt mind getting my hands on one of those free too
    Sorrow is tranquility remembered in emotion.

Well, I did have an issue when I first bought the Pearl where the phone would restart while charging. They replaced the phone though.

My contract is up in January 2010, with the New Every Two kicking in in September 2009.

I think I'm going to wait a few weeks for the retailers to build up a supply, and then go in to a local store back home where I've got a pretty good relationship with the staff and see what they can do. At the same time, the phone is only $419 at retail, so minus a $50 MiR and the $150 I could probably get for my Pearl and it's not too bad.

mikells43 no está en línea Stack level 1
    i did the same thing, i bought a pearl in feb with vzw and i just got the curve yesterday. they gave me the 1 year price. you got a deal on the pearl cause u switched to a data plan too theres a discount for it by doing that and you only get that discount once. i paid 369 with a 50 mail in rebate. im selling my pearl on ebay and hopefully will get 250 so the new phone will cost 100 or so with the $ from the pearl. i sell all my phones on ebay and usually get top dollar for them. i keep them in great shape and am anal about them. i have a clear protector full body skin on my pearl which is that 3m paint protectant **** and helicoptor blade stuff. thats how i pull it off

Medic no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Stack
    no but what i was saying is they didnt give me the 1 yr contract price. i got it 100% for free
    Sorrow is tranquility remembered in emotion.