View Poll Results: Did you gain memory after modifiying a file cod or alx?

Voters
62. Register free to vote on this poll
  • Yes, and my memory is draining as I vote

13 20.97%
  • No, but it still leaks

11 17.74%
  • You just have too much stuff on your phone

14 22.58%
  • I modified but a memory leaks never occur.

24 38.71%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Originally Posted by pixar Newbie Q: How do you find the memory [and/or whether its ... BlackBerry Curve forum

dasupaman23 no está en línea Stack level 6

Re: Theory: Modified Blackberry alx file and memory leak

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by pixar View Post
    Newbie Q: How do you find the memory [and/or whether its leaking] on the 8300?
    From the device homescreen, press alt+cap+h. It will bring up a little menu with that info. You want to look for the file free to see how much memory you have and keep checking it to see how much it drops.

BTW I removed all of my 3rd party apps and have 17440928. Before I was running 14 something. Not bad

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

i had a memory leak problem beforei modified my alx file i think this is a problem with all new new BBs i hope they come out wiyh a fix for this in the OS releases

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

the weird part is after a hard reset the memory comes back i never had these problems with my trusty 7130e

Macbeth417 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    241E4EA8

I am experiencing the same leak. A alt+shift+del reset clears it back down to normal. Tell tale of a program not releasing memory. Are people experiencing this with BONE stock bb's before installing anything else? IF not Id be interested to see what applications those with leaks have in common. Have RIM commented on the issue? Ive found some things saying there are issue with the application switching handling... come to think of it... I do experience the leak on days that I am doing alot of switching. Anyone want to test that one?
    Last edited by Macbeth417; 11-03-2007 at 01:19 AM.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    Quote Originally Posted by Macbeth417 View Post
    I am experiencing the same leak. A alt+enter+del reset clears it back down to normal. Tell tale of a program not releasing memory. Are people experiencing this with BONE stock bb's before installing anything else? IF not Id be interested to see what applications those with leaks have in common. Have RIM commented on the issue? Ive found some things saying there are issue with the application switching handling... come to think of it... I do experience the leak on days that I am doing alot of switching. Anyone want to test that one?
    The memory leaks I experienced were on the pearl and 8300 -- out of the box. Once I upgraded to the latest OS (not the stock/default) then the memory leaks stopped.

Macbeth417 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    241E4EA8

I think ill try to make it leak with the switching and then update to latest OS then try again and see if it stops. Cant hurt anything, but be interesting to find out the results From RIM: "This is a previously reported issue that has been escalated internally to our development team. No resolution time frame is currently available."
    Last edited by Macbeth417; 11-03-2007 at 01:15 AM.

lenton500 no está en línea Stack level 1

I am experiencing the same memory leak, i have to do a battery pull every few hours coz my memory goes to 0bytes & starts deleting my emails, sms' etc. Can anyone recommend a fix for this?

vinmontRD no está en línea Stack level 3

No memory leaks on my 8300, and I'm on my 4th or 5th OS version...last 3 with modded ALX files.

Modding the ALX really shouldn't have anything to do with a memory leak - the ALX essentially does nothing more than tell the loader which files to load into the phone. The files are generally organized into stand-alone modules, and the fact that one theme or another -- or even an application like BB Messenger -- is loaded or not loaded, should have no effect on memory leaks that some are experiencing.

Also: something to be aware of: what some are calling memory leaks are probably NOT: a Java-based system will often allow memory to be allocated, used -- and not "reclaimed" until it is needed. So, if you're using a program that runs in the background (like Viigo or BBWeather), you may see memory getting allocated and used by the programs, so the "free memory" appears to continue dropping. Then, when it gets low enough so that the next program call to allocate memory would need more than appears available, the Java "garbage collector" might kick in, reclaiming all the memory no longer being used by those applications, at which point you might see free memory climb back up.

But in general, seeing free memory fluctuate is not necessarily a sign of a memory leak - and may just indicate that there is a conservative memory management scheme at work. As Cheri points out - if you start seeing problems with dropped messages and performance, then you might have a real memory management problem.

jscottbarnes no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    No-More

No leaks here... plenty of varying OS installations... my memory is low (like 7mb) but that's cuz i have tons of stuff installed...

Ha!

------------
    ~ jscott
    iPhone 3G & BOLD

tdawg no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    241F06A2

Quote Originally Posted by vinmontRD View Post
    No memory leaks on my 8300, and I'm on my 4th or 5th OS version...last 3 with modded ALX files.

Modding the ALX really shouldn't have anything to do with a memory leak - the ALX essentially does nothing more than tell the loader which files to load into the phone. The files are generally organized into stand-alone modules, and the fact that one theme or another -- or even an application like BB Messenger -- is loaded or not loaded, should have no effect on memory leaks that some are experiencing.

Also: something to be aware of: what some are calling memory leaks are probably NOT: a Java-based system will often allow memory to be allocated, used -- and not "reclaimed" until it is needed. So, if you're using a program that runs in the background (like Viigo or BBWeather), you may see memory getting allocated and used by the programs, so the "free memory" appears to continue dropping. Then, when it gets low enough so that the next program call to allocate memory would need more than appears available, the Java "garbage collector" might kick in, reclaiming all the memory no longer being used by those applications, at which point you might see free memory climb back up.

But in general, seeing free memory fluctuate is not necessarily a sign of a memory leak - and may just indicate that there is a conservative memory management scheme at work. As Cheri points out - if you start seeing problems with dropped messages and performance, then you might have a real memory management problem.

That the thing.... Alot of people suffer from this. I seen my memory drop one meg every hour down to five megs. BB OS is based off java and that doesn't mean that their version might not have random memory management problems. Free memory going down 12 megs with absolutely no activity is a memory leak. And if the java environment memory management is not programmed or is corrupted it will have memory leaks until its updated or corrected.

Programs running in the background dont allocate over 10 to 15 megs of memory till it get to 0 whatsoever. Some of those programs are not even active, they are just on and there is no reason why it would need to allocate memory. BB have 16 mb of ram and 64 mb of flash memory. So I dont know where the allocated memory shouldbt be allocated to the ram and the flash... again pointing a leak...........
    I really dont like when people think that people with a problem are just imagining it, just because it doesnt happen to them.
    Last edited by tdawg; 11-06-2007 at 10:39 AM.
    BB8900 is mine!

tdawg no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    241F06A2

Quote Originally Posted by jscottbarnes View Post
    No leaks here... plenty of varying OS installations... my memory is low (like 7mb) but that's cuz i have tons of stuff installed...

Ha!
    My memory is at 9.9 before a battery pull... After the pull its at 17.3mb.....

I have berry411,Viigo, Opera mini,infospace,gmaps, gmail app, facebook app and espn launcher. And memory starts off at 17 sometimes at the end of the day is down to 4 mb. And thats with me just receiving emails on BES. I average about 50-60 a day. I dont even delete them, I do a power cycle and the memory is back to 16mb......

I dont know... Imma just wait for 4.3....
    BB8900 is mine!

XBGM3R no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241EDEFC

If you were complaining about the memory issue. Then while holding the ALT key type L G L G then let go of the ALt key. youll go to to the Event Log. Clear all logs then toggle all your logging to OFF. No memory leaks to ZERO in 2 weeks.

Good Luck

jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne

Quote Originally Posted by XBGM3R View Post
    If you were complaining about the memory issue. Then while holding the ALT key type L G L G then let go of the ALt key. youll go to to the Event Log. Clear all logs then toggle all your logging to OFF. No memory leaks to ZERO in 2 weeks.

Good Luck
    i just did this and only gained about 30 bytes... we;ll see after a restart.

ps. any other combination key codes you can share to get into other settings of the device?
    I'm a born again Androider

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

modified .alx, AT&T Pearl, Austria Telecom (.101) OS, no issues with memory leaks. I've done all the standard stuff, deleting unused files, rolling back reserved memory, etc. No issues. Occasionally I lose logs because I fill it up from not paying attention, but it doesn't happen often. Maybe twice since I upgraded my OS in July?
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

michaelsmall123 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

I make lots of themes and put them on my phone ,some use to much memory it realy slows the phone down so i have to delete a few !!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12