Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ahh.... the benefit of waiting. Soon the 3G Curve 8920 (or whatever the final designation ... BlackBerry Curve forum

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

The Curve Worth Waiting For...

Advertisement

Ahh.... the benefit of waiting.

Soon the 3G Curve 8920 (or whatever the final designation is) will be here.

Think 8300 vs 8310, or 8320. In other words, just like last year we are seeing history repeat itself as RIM first rolls out the 8900, then just a few short months later releases an even more refined, better operating, improved OS equipped 8920 with 3G. Now in my opinion THIS is the BlackBerry to have. It will incorporate everything RIM has learned from the Bold and 8900 all wrapped up in the hottest looking BlackBerry I've ever seen. And just like the 8300 to 8310/8320 transition, it will be so much better than the 8900.

Thus I ask why not wait?

Why spend the time and money to buy an 8900, set it up to your liking and then just months later find it's obsolete and the newer model is far better?

I know, I can already hear the comments now.... "but 3G on a BlackBerry is not very fast". "There is hardly any difference between it and 3G".

That my friends is no longer true. At one time it was, due to the very poor Bold OS that was installed on the AT&T model. However I have since tested each and everyone of the currently available OS updates for the Bold. I've done so using two Bolds for accurate side by side testing. With .210 being the best, I've done side by side testing with my well optimized 8310 on EDGE. I can honestly say that as fast as EDGE is on my 8310, 3G is far and away faster on my Bold. This indicates to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that I MUST have 3G on my next Curve. In my case I spend a lot of my PinStack time via BlackBerry therefore 3G is of utmost value to me.

Those of you that argue you don't need 3G because you don't surf much are missing a very valuable feature of 3G which has nothing to do with web surfing. 3G delivers both data and voice over the same phone line at once. Therefore you get your emails as they come in. And the 3G technology as implemented by AT&T as well as others, provides much better voice quality. Let's face it 3G is no longer the future, it's the present. So why buy and OLD style 8900 just because it is updated vs the 83xx series? Why not wait and buy a 3G BlackBerry Curve that will last, and you can enjoy for some time?

Just my two cents as many like to say....

MrLight460 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31CCF15F
    That felt like a sermon... amen. Very well written!
    Tim

bajanbastard no está en línea Stack level 4
    Good points Archer but for people like me who don't have 3G coverage the 8900 is perfect

Otherwise i would have waited as well..
    Device history: 8100 > 8320 > 8900 & 9530. Keep crackin'

Quote Originally Posted by bajanbastard View Post
    Good points Archer but for people like me who don't have 3G coverage the 8900 is perfect

Otherwise i would have waited as well..
    Don't get me wrong. I completely respect your opinions, needs and preferences.

One of the points I was making goes far beyond 3G. It's really about how much better the 8310/ 8320 models are than the 8300 that preceded them. I know as I too am a very early adopter. This is why I did not quit after getting five defective Bolds. I knew what my risk factor was going in, I was willing to take that risk and spend the time and money.

However that said I also put myself in the position of those who simply want to buy a new BlackBerry model once, use it and enjoy it. Not everyone has the time , desire and money to buy BlackBerry's like I do. And they should not have to. I am very pro-consumer and want the best for everyone. Hence my desire to create that post, put forth my thoughts, and perhaps enlighten those who have no or little BB experience. The goal is to simply benefit this community by sharing my experience, mistakes and what I've learned. I simply wanted to make people aware of an upcoming model. That's it.

Thus it is nothing more than my personal opinion that waiting would be valuable inasmuch as one would get a much better Curve as opposed to the 8900. Setting aside 3G for a moment. The features that will appear on the 89xx will be very nice. There is in my opinion, more value in the 89xx than the 8900. And yet I do appreciate and find nothing wrong with the 8900 as is it currently configured.

At the end of the day, I find that the RIM platform as it is implemented in the various models is stellar and cannot be beat. It's simply a matter of each users personal preferences.

Thanks for you viewpoint and opinions, I always enjoy your valuable contributions.

Cheers...

uberspeed no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24aa4e29
    I would love to wait for the Magnum (9220 from what I gather). That said I have phones on their last legs that need replacement and the 8900 will be great for my family once it lands. I can't make it to the second half of this year on my current hardware, nor will my wifes' or mothers' phones.
    I would love to have 3G, but I can do without for now. I also figure I can jump to TMo now for the 8900's get a first time costumer deal and jump back to ATT for the 9220 if the 9220 doesn't have TMo's 3G freq's and get another intro special on the handsets.
    Who knows, maybe by then 4G will be around and that's a real standard!

MrLight460 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31CCF15F
    What about early termination fees?
    Tim

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    Stimulating. Excellent perspective Arch
    Last edited by Berryadict; 01-15-2009 at 05:14 PM.

walds11 no está en línea Stack level 4
    So, Archer, when will AT&T be rolling it out?

Quote Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
    So, Archer, when will AT&T be rolling it out?
    Top Secret and I'm .... well.... just a lowly cleanup boy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Berryadict View Post
    Stimulating. Excellent perspective Arch
    Thank you !

Quote Originally Posted by MrLight460 View Post
    What about early termination fees?
    Early termination fees are just that. If you want to break your contract with another carrier to switch to a new carrier you must pay them. They are completely independent of any other consideration.

luciferseamus no está en línea Device Pro
    Man Archer!!
    you sure know your phones!
    I'm currently working on a way to modify the current version of plazmic so that I can export to the 8900.
    If you like I'll try my hand first at remaking that completely clear theme for you (if your willing test it for me that is...)

let me know!
    "If you ever lose your keys in a river of molten lava, let 'em go, cus' man, they're gone!!"-Jack Handey

walds11 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Damn it Archer, I am going to have a nervous break-down if I don't find out when AT&T is releasing the 8920

Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    Top Secret and I'm .... well.... just a lowly cleanup boy.....

ssnxp no está en línea Device Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    Ahh.... the benefit of waiting.
    Thus I ask why not wait?

Why spend the time and money to buy an 8900, set it up to your liking and then just months later find it's obsolete and the newer model is far better?
    Because I have 4 upgrades available on my lines!

Looking forward to Tmobile getting a 3G ready Blackberry.. it's only a matter of time. That, or I open an AT&T line again..

Good stuff, Arch.

pouit no está en línea Stack level 1
    Good business but when is that 8920 comin out cause I'm ready...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast