Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Well, dont ask how, suffice to say the other day I dropped my Curve in ... BlackBerry Curve forum

Varekai no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

The Curve is Waterproof!!! (almost)

Advertisement

Well, dont ask how, suffice to say the other day I dropped my Curve in the toilet bowl. Yes, that thing we all use everyday filled with all our favorite electronic device's worse enemy: H2o (or water simply preferred) Well the least I could say is I was horrified. At first I didnt notice it, I picked up my shirt and heard a plunck sound. I didnt think much of it, but then I remembered my 8320 was nuzzled in my shirt. To my horror I looked into the toilet and there was my curve, embezzled in the beast. I picked it up, watched as water ran from every opening of it, and after 10 seconds its life faded before my eyes, nothing would come from it. I have only has it just over 15 days, so I went the the T-mo store, and they wouldnt do anything for me, or customer service. They wouldnt even add insurance since I was 1 day after the 14 days. So I picked up a T6 screwdriver since that what I read fit the curve, got home so I could pull it apart, and it was too big, but I had to be too work, so I just let it sit. The next day, I stuck the battery in too amuse myself, and its working. Flawlessly. Conclusion: BB's ARE the best phone out there (and more to the point, possible waterproof to a degree) so If anyone else ever drops their beloved into a toilet, then maybe this can help (unless it is a goldfish, hamster, or chopped up ex b/f, or g/f)

bobhammer no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2171D09A

Re: The Curve is Waterproof!!! (almost)

I will share with all of you my story, I was using a pearl before switching to the curve(a lot better than pearl btw). I was having a sushi dinner, my pearl was on the table, when we were having some sake, some wine dropped onto the pearl of the pearl, but I didn't notice it at first cos actually I am kinda drunk! But once I found out my pearl is somehow wet, I pulled the battery out hoping it won't be too late! After an hour or 2, I put the battery in(I think that is what I shouldn't do), it worked at first. But the next day, the menu button starts to have some technical glitch.... to be specific, I pressed it once, it automatically presses one more time for me! So I took the pearl to my carrier, but they see the water spot on the board, and refused to give me a replacement, and that's it...a new curve!!!
    Gtalk:bobhammer
    Yahoo:bobhammer3
    Msn:bobhammer3

Varekai no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

Good story. Unfortunately I dont have money to blow $500 on a new curve, so I am very happy that it is working fine now. I am quite shocked that there is nothing wrong with it.

cjeezy no está en línea Stack level 3

Also, the wired OEM headset is waterproof. Just last week I found it in my pants pocket after taking them out of the dryer. I plugged it in and it still works like a charm!

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

Quote Originally Posted by bobhammer View Post
    After an hour or 2, I put the battery in(I think that is what I shouldn't do)

Correct, that was way to soon to try and test. I recommend at least a day for it to really dry out.

DaX05 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask

~via DaXBerry (wap.pinstack.com)~

Haha! My cousin dropped his pearl in the toilet bowl once. It was so hilarious on how he explained what had happened. Unfortunatley, it didn't survive the swim after a day of trying to dry it out. He would later upgrade to the Curve. Anyhow, there's no way I'm experimenting with my curve.
    But I applaude you guys on your bravery.

zjfarmer no está en línea Stack level 3

Glad to hear that your Curve is working well again.
    -- ZJ

"If men define situations as real, they are real in their consequences." - W.I. Thomas

smot13 no está en línea Stack level 1

My first serious phone was an old Sony Ericson that I loved to death.

Dropped it right in my beer at a bar while I was text messaging right above the beer. Never worked again.

Then I got the 8700c and actually said out loud "at least this one is too big to fall into a pint glass."

So a few weeks later we were out drinking where they have the big huge 32oz mugs of beer. Low and behold, 8700 slipped right out of my hands into said beer. Yes, truly a stupid moment.

But alas! I got home and ripped the battery and the sim to dry over night. I put it back together in the morning and it worked fine for a couple more years till I sat on it and put a huge crack in the screen.

Got a 8320 now. Not sure if Im ready to dunk it beer yet though.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by smot13 View Post
    My first serious phone was an old Sony Ericson that I loved to death.

Dropped it right in my beer at a bar while I was text messaging right above the beer. Never worked again.

Then I got the 8700c and actually said out loud "at least this one is too big to fall into a pint glass."

So a few weeks later we were out drinking where they have the big huge 32oz mugs of beer. Low and behold, 8700 slipped right out of my hands into said beer. Yes, truly a stupid moment.

But alas! I got home and ripped the battery and the sim to dry over night. I put it back together in the morning and it worked fine for a couple more years till I sat on it and put a huge crack in the screen.

Got a 8320 now. Not sure if Im ready to dunk it beer yet though.
    Licking the beer off the device would be WAY more pleasant than toilet water!

DaX05 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask

~via DaXBerry (wap.pinstack.com)~

Lmao! Most definitely. I'm positive that if anything happens to our curve, we'd lose any sense of reasoning lol.

peguero no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID

Dropped my 8700g on the street, kicked down the block (aka hockey puck style) and it survived. I haven't dropped my curve yet (knocking on wood) but my GF hosed down her curve in the kitchen while doing the dishes (yes i know, freak accident) and it was not working at all. I read up on the "RICE" trick- we removed back cover, removed battery and placed the phone face down in a tupperware container of brown rice and sealed it. 15 hrs later......IT WAS BACK!!

BERRY RULES!!
    5RAWMINUTES!

"Things that you want to change in the world have to start inside yourself. You have to be thinking. You have to be resisting. You have to be talking."
    – George Carlin

Kyo0tdemon no está en línea Stack level 5

If that every happens again, try putting your curve with the battery out of it in a container filled with rice. Rice is supposed to absorb all the excess water.
    Last edited by Kyo0tdemon; 02-27-2008 at 05:02 PM.

saeder no está en línea Stack level 2

My Curve went for a swim in what could best be aptly described as swamp water. I didn't notice at first as I had fallen, but when I fished it out I quickly ripped the back off and pulled the battery, it wasn't pretty. I let it dry out for a day to no avail it would NOT spring to life soooo I purchased a new 8310, can't live without my bb what can I say! Anyways for some reason I decided I'd dismantle the old curve see what the innards looked like, cleaned the board with some hot water and a tooth brush let everything dry again for a few days, re-assembled it... and viola! one fully functional curve! I felt like Dr. Frankenstein! especially since I didn't have it fully assembled just the minimum parts required for the screen/keyboard and battery to be in place!

jhall1986 no está en línea Stack level 3

Man you guys are brave. Blackberrys are tougher than most people think

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada

You guys are EXREMELY lucky, my electrical devices dont fair too well when they've submerged in any kind of liquid.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast