Is there any plans for T-Mobile to upgrade their network to 3G? Would be nice ... BlackBerry Curve forum

sgtdisturbed47 no está en línea Stack level 3

T-Mobile 3g?

Advertisement

Is there any plans for T-Mobile to upgrade their network to 3G? Would be nice to have as an option.

waylon1355 no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: T-Mobile 3g?

There has been talks about T-Mobile going to spend billions of dollars deploying 3G this year and next.

Lol knowing the rate T-mobile handles things, I'll make a bold prediction that their 3G won't be fully deployed until 2011.

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no

the gov't is still hanging on the band that t-mobile purchased and supposedly that is the only hold up. they've even tried offering large amounts of money to hurry the transition.

MACV\SOG no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by blackninja View Post
    the gov't is still hanging on the band that t-mobile purchased and supposedly that is the only hold up. they've even tried offering large amounts of money to hurry the transition.

What a crock, your stating their bribing the government...your mouth will get you in trouble.

Sci-Tek no está en línea Stack level 4

3G is starting to be fully covered over here in Norway, but people dont use it.

Video Calls are overrated.. it cost more than regular calls.. and you have to make your call public (since you have to use speaker) .. no good for me.

My old Nokia phone had 3g, it was faster to load web pages, but really there is no need for it.. untill unlimited plans get WAY cheaper.

If I where to choose between 3g and high prices, or no 3g and lower prices, I would take no 3g anyday

JayR no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    SK LX

Not to go off topic but isnt EVDO faster than 3G?

yoyoboy no está en línea Stack level 2

3g is an abstract term, evedo has similar speeds to 3g. The advantage of 3g is that's what they use in the rest of the world. Economies of scale still play a large part in mobile tech. If T mobile can get 2100 utms running they will have the best handsets in the usa. They are not trying to bribe the gov they have already got the frequency. The milutary doesn't want to let go that's the problem. Three of the four major providers in Australia use that band and I believe most of asia (inculding japan) AND australia use that 2100 band.

To put that in perspective around 3/4 of the developed word uses it.

Ps I am not trying to be condisening but its a bigger deal than the 700 google android band.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

JayR no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    SK LX

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoboy View Post
    3g is an abstract term, evedo has similar speeds to 3g. The advantage of 3g is that's what they use in the rest of the world. Economies of scale still play a large part in mobile tech. If T mobile can get 2100 utms running they will have the best handsets in the usa. They are not trying to bribe the gov they have already got the frequency. The milutary doesn't want to let go that's the problem. Three of the four major providers in Australia use that band and I believe most of asia (inculding japan) AND australia use that 2100 band.

To put that in perspective around 3/4 of the developed word uses it.

Ps I am not trying to be condisening but its a bigger deal than the 700 google android band.
    Hopefully the military and Government wont hold T-Mo back for too long.. Why are they so stubborn to UPGRADE?!

yoyoboy no está en línea Stack level 2

Good point. As someone who is not american I would love rim to use more non-american standards.

I am sure the subbornis is for a good reason. But it annoying. The 8920 sounds like a good step however ( I can't believe I ended a sentence with however)

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Quote Originally Posted by MACV\SOG View Post
    What a crock, your stating their bribing the government...your mouth will get you in trouble.
    They aren't "bribing" the government. What they are trying to do is provide incentive for the various police forces around the US that are currently using the frequency they legally purchased from the FCC at the last spectrum auction to increase the speed of getting off of that frequency. They have offered money, equipment, and personnel to assist with moving to the new frequency that has been alloted for police survelience (sp?). T-Mobile already owns the spectrum, has phones that will use it, and has towers being errected to make the system live. The only thing they are supposedly waiting for is the go ahead from the US Government to turn on the network.

All my information is from various sources including T-Mobile reps and meetings.

Zo

geezie no está en línea Stack level 3

i believe with 3g, u can talk and browse simultaneously too.
    hello, im fabulous !!

skaii no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242DEE39

Quote Originally Posted by geezie View Post
    i believe with 3g, u can talk and browse simultaneously too.
    Yes! That answers that prayer. Now all I need to do is hope and pray that their network gets off the ground quickly. 28 million customers and growing!

In the U.S. only of course.
    Hi. :D

jstodda no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241E85A8

The answer is yes.. We currently are considerin several different options. There actually are 3g mini networks setup in several cities, but they are locked to engineers and testers only. The technology and bandwidth are there, the only issue is licensing and such to allow a broad global launch to the public. UTMS or HSPDA are a few opions. For an idea on how GMS goes faster look at european markets and such as they have had GSM MUCH longer than the usa.. Keep in mind T Mobile is the original GSM provider in the US, branched from other companies of course, Voicestream for one...

Its comming.. it just takes time.. Wanna hurry the launch, goto school, get a job with T Mobile in R and D and do your thing.. lol
    T-Mobile Sales Manager
    Blackberry Addict
    Open to answering questions
    PIN: 241E85A8

shmengie no está en línea Stack level 4

i called tmo support on thursday with a general question. me and the tech got to talking. he said the voice part of 3g is rolling in q1 '08 with the data side rolling approx 6 months after that. he also said that after the data side rolls, to look out for the 8120.

1) i didn't know 3g separated out to 3g for voice and 3g for data.
    2) if what he said is true, i don't know why the 8120 wouldn't roll as soon as the voice part is live.
    3) talk to 10 different techs, get 10 different answers.
    2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2.
    - Grabel's Law