I am having a variety of problems associated with syncing my 8300 to a Mac. Some of this is Mac specific, but I think that many of the problems relate to the 8300 itself. If I am posting this to the wrong place, feel free to move the thread. Many of these issues have appeared elsewhere before (but not all together in one place).
First the background: I am using an 8300 synced to a Mac using MissingSync and iCal/Address book on the Mac side.
I tried PocketMac, but found it useless.
Here are the issuess:
I cleaned out the 8300 after some weird problems with the calendar (options show 0 entries; then multiple copies of all entries following Pocket Mac problems; then I was unable to replace the contents of the calendar on the 8300 with the clean copy of the iCal calendar using MissingSync.) I did a clean format of the 8300 to start fresh.
Everything loaded OK. However, as was previously the case, I got no alarms from my calendar. Following advice (that had worked previously), I deleted the CICAL service books and regained my alarms. This created a new problem. I was back to 0 entries under Calendar>options. Moreover, when I synced again, it copied over everything as if it was fresh. This continued everytime I ran a sync.
Thinking it might be a good idea to fix the missing service book, I reloaded the service books on the 8300. As a result, there was no visible calendar events, even through it is syncing correctly (I think).
Finally, I pulled the battery. On restart, there are now double copies of everything in the calendar! I am back where I started! I am about to overwrite the contents with the iCal data on my mac to see if I can fix it, but I am not optimistic.
I am at my wit's end. It would seem that I need to choose between alarms on the calendar and a functioning BB.
EDIT: There are still two copies of everything. I notice that when I open one copy of any given event and click on the menu, it puts up a menu item that says "Invite Attendee". The other copy of the item does not have that menu item. From this I infer that there are essentially two databases of records. I guess one copy is for Enterprise and the other is for regular email? I don't understand why this should be, as I have not set up the Enterprise email service.
Any advice would be welcome.
Last edited by dpfels; 06-26-2007 at 04:29 PM.
dan - have you seen this thread, at all?
you aren't the only one experiencing these issues with your curve but the mac part seems to be unique, as we thought it had to do with a bug in Desktop Manager - the one that came on the disk provided by RIM ... which clearly you are not using
These are both problems that are recognized by RIM. The O cal entries/dups is covered by KB13330. The no reminders is KB13420. You can read article by following the link below and entering the article number in the search field.
BlackBerry Technical Service Center.
Hope this helps.
~via My BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~
From what I understand the fix is in the works. The work around doesn't work for everyone. You can't clear the calendar when "Calendar Entries: 0" is listed even though you have calendar entries. Following the work around just led me in frustrating circles... now I'm dizzy. I finally took my Curve back and am waiting for the fix to buy another.
Thanks for the pointers and the reference to the long thread. I did read it, but much of it was lost on me at the time. I just picked up the BB8300 at the beginning of June, and I have been on a crash course to understand how it works. I replaced a Treo, and obviously they are very different creatures.
Since my first post, I got on the phone with a smart tech at AT&T. What he told me was identical to the information in the BB technical documents mentioned above. Most significantly, IT WORKED!!!
For those of you coming in late in the story, here is the short version (I am writing this assuming that the reader knows as little as I did when I started):
1. Save your calendar information. On a PC, that is fairly straightforward, using the desktop software. On a Mac, I would recommend MissingSync. I was unable to use PocketMac (which according to their tech support has some problems). In fact, I think some of my original problems were due to Pocket Mac.
2. Erase your calendar file entirely. On the mac, that unfortunately means erasing the entire device (from Options>Security>General Settings-under the menu). If you do a complete wipe, be sure you have backed everything up first! If you have access to a PC, it is a bit easier, since you can wipe the calendar selectively.
3. If you are not an enterprise user, erase ALL BUT ONE of the service books ending in CICAL. (I believe enterprise users erase all CICAL books). This is done in Options>Advanced>Service Books.
4. Reboot the device by removing and replacing the battery (this is very important).
5. Restore your data.
This did the trick for me. I have now solved all the major problems: 1. I have calendar alarms. 2. I have a correct list of items under the Calendar options menu. 3. Syncing works correctly-no more duplicate entries.
Everything mentioned here is described in the Blackberry service notices.
Thanks again for the help.
Feel free to comment on my instructions, and I will edit as needed.