Based on another thread I read, I wanted to try and change my network settings ... BlackBerry Curve forum

terrapin no está en línea Stack Pro

Switching Mobile Network

Advertisement

Based on another thread I read, I wanted to try and change my network settings on my phone - Not to get out of any contract or anything, but to see what would happen. I am a TMO USA customer with an unlocked 8320. I used the manual settinmg to change my T MO network to AT&T - When I did that, I got an "Emergency Service Only" and the little "sos" where the EDGE used to be. Is my phone really unlocked or is something screwed up?

dj_polak15 no está en línea Stack level 3

Question

Quote Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
    Based on another thread I read, I wanted to try and change my network settings on my phone - Not to get out of any contract or anything, but to see what would happen. I am a TMO USA customer with an unlocked 8320. I used the manual settinmg to change my T MO network to AT&T - When I did that, I got an "Emergency Service Only" and the little "sos" where the EDGE used to be. Is my phone really unlocked or is something screwed up?
    can you get on your phone without entering your sim card password?

wassona no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2439fbe3

No thats the way that it is supposed to be. TMO phones in certain areas are provisioned to where they will ONLY use TMO until the phone is in an area where ATT and TMO are being roaming partners. Meaning that your phone will be able to switch between the carriers due to reception issues.

Make sense?

terrapin no está en línea Stack Pro
    thanks - yes

adam917 no está en línea Stack level 3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by wassona View Post
    No thats the way that it is supposed to be. TMO phones in certain areas are provisioned to where they will ONLY use TMO until the phone is in an area where ATT and TMO are being roaming partners. Meaning that your phone will be able to switch between the carriers due to reception issues.

Make sense?
    ...that would apply with any carrier your home one has a roaming agreement with. I was in upstate New York & Montreal in January and automatically roamed onto 'Cellular One DCS', 'USA Unicel', then 'Rogers Wireless' once I was far enough into Canada (I rode up there from NYC).

sevo22 no está en línea Stack level 2
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ here's my problem. I have tmo for my personal bb And I get horrible reception at work. My company provided cell phone is through att and I get 5 bars of reception on that. Is it not possible for me to switch to the att network on my tmo blackberry while I'm at the office? Thanks in advance.

magellan0547 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    242E7D27
    well you have a wi-fi enabled curve...why not just use UMA if your company has a wireless network running...then you would get full service no matter what and not have to worry about switching networks every time you arrived at or left work...just a thought but you should be able to manually set your network to AT&T because they are both edge and use their network without problems...hth

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~unfortunately, we don't have wifi for security reasons. Whenever I switch to att, it goes up to 4 bars, then immediately goes to SOS mode. Am I out of luck?

wassona no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2439fbe3
    Quote Originally Posted by sevo22 View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ here's my problem. I have tmo for my personal bb And I get horrible reception at work. My company provided cell phone is through att and I get 5 bars of reception on that. Is it not possible for me to switch to the att network on my tmo blackberry while I'm at the office? Thanks in advance.
    Yeah you can but it wont work all that great. You can take the sim out of the ATT phone and plug it into your blackberry.

Issues:
    -you wouldnt get your email on the blackberry
    -the blackberry would register itself on ATT
    -the calls meant for the blackberry wouldnt come through since they are tracked to the sim card
    -the calls that you would receive would be the ones meant for the ATT phone.

would unlocking my bberry solve the problem above???

wyy183 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24AAA616
    would unlocking my bberry solve the problem above???
    No, it wouldn't.

Unlocking the phone means that you can use either AT&T or TMO sim card in it and it will work on that network.

I have a similar situation described in the first post of this thread. I rarely have TMO service in the building where I work; however, those around me with AT&T have excellent service.

After I upgraded to OS 4.5, I am able, on occasion, to go to manual, switch to AT&T, and can get it to work.

What I've found from my personal experience, where I live/work, is that I can mess with it, and get it to connect to AT&T with EDGE service, during off-peak hours - some times! During peak hours, it is rare that I can get it to connect.

I use mine quite a bit for internet stuff, and I only have GPRS on TMO, and it gets to be a pain in the butt. I get it going on EDGE, and it's like jumping out of downtown rush hour in a city and getting on a rural interstate - you can cover some ground!!

Where I work, they do have Wi-Fi, but company security policies prevent them from allowing me to connect, which kinda sucks...

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    ........I am a TMO USA customer with an unlocked 8320.........
    Terrapin, Having an unlocked phone means that you can put any other GSM SIM in your phone and it will work with that carrier - not that you can change your network "on the fly" as you tried to do.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com