Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Best thing to do is actually never carry it in your pocket unless you have ... BlackBerry Curve forum

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Re: Suggested fix for curve trackball

Advertisement

Best thing to do is actually never carry it in your pocket unless you have a case that covers the trackball. The main reason the Trackball stops working is lint. The face oils really don't matter it's the rollers and the lint that wraps around them.

This thread explains it all: http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com..._pictures.html
    Last edited by reddog187; 11-28-2007 at 12:35 AM.

jhowle no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    3115EE05

or could be a combination of the two. this is what happens with a ball mouse.
    Looking for new buddies. Add me pin# 3115EE05

Ju1c3 no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by jhowle View Post
    or could be a combination of the two. this is what happens with a ball mouse.
    who rubs a ball mouse on their face let alone who still uses a ball mouse? when i end up cleaning them for some cheep client that we have, its always lint build up in there. nothing to do with oils.

as for this needing to be a sticky? not real sure on the ground breaking statement "to keep oils off your phone, hold it away from your face". hardly a fix, more of a workaround if you want to call it that.

sorry i am not trying to be an *** cuz i know i am coming off that way, just stating the facts.
    INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE

PIN/ID
    3115EE05

well with a ball mouse, oils from your hand rub off on your maouse pad so wahlah. There is no reason to be so brash in here.

Ju1c3 no está en línea Stack level 2

well with a ball mouse, oils from your hand rub off on your maouse pad so wahlah. There is no reason to be so brash in here.
    wasnt trying to be brash, was trying to be funny with that rubbing on your face... hence my saying i wasnt trying to be mean.

how often are you putting your full hand on your mouse pad? shouldnt your hand be on your mouse?

anyways, nice observation, but unpractical to most people to sit there and think all the time "hold it off my face". plus you dont wanna be that guy with his arm all cocked out to the side at a 90 degree angle trying to keep it off your face.
    INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE

PIN/ID
    3115EE05

well your wrist is always on the mouse pad, and I hold my phone at the bottom and my arm is straight in front of my chest and still tilting the phone away from my face

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

Either way, the ball should have been optical from the get-go. Why on my device from 2007 do I have a 1986 roller ball? What was RIM thinking? If I can get optical on a $10 mouse, you can do it on my $299 BB.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

jscottbarnes no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    No-More

Hmmm... got pretty testy in here huh

As with anything u spend this much $$$ on... take care ot it... wipe it down occasionally.... i think tilting it away from your face when not using BT is rather common sense practice, anyway...

Blowing on it and a lil QTip love or whatever the remedy of the day is, will keep us happy

------------
    ~ jscott
    iPhone 3G & BOLD

HyperM3 no está en línea Stack level 3

you would honestly think RIM would make this possible, maybe by uncrewing the the silver ring from the socket holding the ball and allowing the ball to be removed and giving replacements with the new phone.
    Actually its easy to remove the ring. Theres a couple posts on how to take apart the phone. You need a tiny eyeglass flathead screwdriver. You can either take the whole front panel off by taking phone apart, or you can slide the flathead down in front of the "t" and "y" keys to get under the sliver ring and pop it off. Once you do that you can get to the ball and rollers easily to clean. Ive done it a couple times but not to clean, only for fun. Ive found that if you keep your hands clean and arent a really discustingly oily person, theres no need to clean the trackball.

silverdreams no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    240BB776

I almost always carry my Curve in my pocket, and my face is an oil factory. I hold the phone against my face and I am constantly wiping oil off the phone afterwards. I've been doing these things ever since I got the Curve in July, and I haven't yet cleaned my trackball. I've only ever had a couple very minor sticks. If it starts sticking on a regular basis, I'll just pop off the silver ring and clean the ball and rollers with rubbing alcohol.

SanaTizer no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    249e3b2f

Hold it aginst my face???? Like DCookSta said it's 2007. I use a bluetooth headset 90% of the time I'm talking with it. The other 10% it is not touching my face, i do the earpiece to the ear and off the face and holster it when I'm done using it. And I just wash my hands through out the day (ie after lunch and restroom breaks) that pretty much keeps mine pretty clean.

CashCrandle no está en línea Stack level 2

Here is a fix i am suggesting about these trackballs. Personally i liked the wheel better on the side but anyway. It is very common to place the phone flat against your face and any oils and sweat on your cheek or ear cover the phone and of corse the track ball. Over time this builds up on the tiny rollers and interferes with the contact of the ball to them. Have you ever had a ball mouse that acted the same and from time to time you have to take the ball out and clean the rollers. My suggestion is to be concious of how you place the phone against your head. I hold the speaker to my ear and tilt the phone out away from my face so as little of the phone touchs my skin as possible.
    I would not be surprised if people looked at you funny for doing this, possibly even whispered behind your back, perhaps an alternative would be to use a bluetooth headset, or you could get these cool phone protector sleeves, its like a half hat you put on top of your head and then it hangs down over the side of your face with an opening for your ear, its called an Ear Diaper. You can get them pretty much anywhere. You can get them in different colors, green is pretty cool. I hope this information has helped, good luck.

JMO5631 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    24322BD0

Dont Pocket It, Exfoliate Often, Wash Your Hands! Thats My Ethic

nova609 no está en línea Stack level 3

Question.....by popping off the ring and removing/cleaning the trac ball, does this void the warranty...if so..is there a way that a tech can tell if the trac ball has been removed/replaced??? Or any other maintenance routines for that matter...changing scratched lens, faceplate, buttons, etc......kinda scared to do these things in case down the road I have an issue, they might be able to tell that I once took the phone apart.

PIN/ID
    3115EE05

wow, by posting this i suddenly feel like i through a dead animal out in the road and vultures are picking it over....lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12