I was looking at the website but it doesn't mention the 8300 specifically as a ... BlackBerry Curve forum

iridemybike no está en línea Stack Professional

Success with Opera Mini on an 8300?

Advertisement

I was looking at the website but it doesn't mention the 8300 specifically as a supported device. Is anybody using the Opera Mini browser on an 8300? How well does it work? Thanks.

Tucker

rrrebo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240466CA

Re: Success with Opera Mini on an 8300?

Download the Generic High Memory MIDP2 version. Works great. I'm running 3.1 and the 4.0 Beta.

cnordb01 no está en línea Stack level 1

I'm running 3.1 on my 8300 with no problems. The interface is questionable but then again Opera has yet to win me over 100% on previous platforms.

Flashman no está en línea Stack level 3

High Memory works great, using 4.0 Beta.

Anybody know just how much memory the high memory takes up. I'm trying to decide if I want to install now or wait a few days until my memory card comes in.

Tucker

jscottbarnes no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    No-More

Don't think it matters... I'm pretty sure you can't install it to run from the memory card anyway...

------------
    ~ jscott
    iPhone 3G & BOLD

tyroen8323 no está en línea Stack level 1

the browser uses the internal memory for install and running the application. the memory card is only for storage purposes - musice, pictures, ringtones. high-def version is the best and i would highly recommend using operamini 3.1 if you don't want to submit bugs for 4.0 beta because there are many. i have both versions on my Curve and 3.1 is more stable. good luck.

Best to try to install OTA or through desktop sync?

Tucker

Schirripal no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    2096c6ec

I really like the beta 4.0 a few glitches here and there but its fun to check out both.

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157
    Quote Originally Posted by iridemybike
    Best to try to install OTA or through desktop sync?

Tucker
    Try the OTA first

VZDubtk no está en línea Stack level 5

I actually have not experienced any glitches with the beta version. All is good.
    I Unlock All Mobile Devices, questions just ask

mmargol no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs up Re: Success with Opera Mini on an 8300?

Quote Originally Posted by iridemybike
    I was looking at the website but it doesn't mention the 8300 specifically as a supported device. Is anybody using the Opera Mini browser on an 8300? How well does it work? Thanks.

Tucker
    I am running it on a 8300 and it works. I chose the advanced version that uses more memory. It works well although the setup and testing it goes through took a while. You also have to click on many "allow this connection" notices... Also make sure your Cingular service is provisioning as in the note on their web site with the correct GPRS username and password. m2

jetsetter no está en línea Stack level 3

I'm using the advanced (high memory) version, 3.1.8295, on my Curve. I actually don't like it more than the BB browser. Comparing the two there are some things I like:
    1. The progress of page loads looks nicer.
    2. The app itself looks nicer, red lines look good.
    3. The history on the home screen is convenient.
    But mostly there are things I don't like about Opera Mini:
    1. There is a "home" screen you always seem to get sent back to.
    2. The home screen prominently offers Yahoo as the search engine. You can not change this (see article). Why on God's green earth would you want to search yahoo over google today?
    3. The interface sucks. For example when you choose Enter Address and type in a URL, if you hit OK (trackball click) it brings up another menu with the default action being Previous Address. wtf. Why? I want to say OK immediatly (which is two items down from the top) Or really, I'd like to just hit return and have it take me there. Instead Opera mini thinks I want a new line. Why would I want a new line on an internet address entry page?
    4. Form data entry requires first clicking OK (trackball click) which blanks the entire screen. Why not just trust the page author to create a form field big enough for my data? Why would I need multi-line input for a single line text field?
    5. Opera still requires calls to the BB browser. If you try to do certain things Opera asks if it can launch the BB browser to do it. So, I'd say the Opera browser is not fully independent of the BB browser.
    6. The shortcut keys don't work for me. i.e. #,3. Is this in sequence? I'm confused.
    Last edited by jetsetter; 06-29-2007 at 04:56 PM.