I have in my 2 story condo a Linksys WRT54G upstairs which is the one ... BlackBerry Curve forum

robmir no está en línea Stack level 1

Strange wifi problem

Advertisement

I have in my 2 story condo a Linksys WRT54G upstairs which is the one who manage all the wired and wifi access services and has the authorized list of users and access policies, and in the first level a Buffalo WHR-125 hooked to it on one of it´s four wired ports and set as access point to cover the first level.

Since we carry legacy devices which can´t work with strong encription I use WEP with a 10 digit passphrase and a wifi MAC address filter with a list of devices authorized to access the network stored in the upstairs main router.

Both my son and I have the same 8320 Curves and all our other devices can log in the nework through both wifi router and access point which by the way have different names. My 8320 can log in any of our wifi sources.

But my Son´s 8320 can log only in the Linksys router and it logs in the Buffalo but shows wifi error 010 and is unable to use the wifi service but it´s connected to the Buffalo access point and unfortunately that´s it.

We have the same wireless provider, the same software, etc but only mine can use both wifi sources.

I had erased and reprogrammed my son´s 8320 stored access points, resent the service book and nothing change. An he told me he can access any wifi accces point in his college, etc. and only in our home we notice this.

Does anybody has a logical explanation to his 8320 behavior ?

I can´t blame the Buffalo access point since my 8320 log to it right away as all the other wifi devices in my household.
    Last edited by robmir; 10-14-2008 at 10:51 PM.

jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    Someone correct me if I am wrong, but when the 8320 first came out, they were being built at two different facilities. One was in Mexico, and the other, I believe, in Canada. From what I remember, there were some WiFi issues with the devices coming out of Mexico.

So, with that, its possible, if everything else is exactly identical, there could be an issue with the device for the home routers. You may have a look at the sticker under the battery to see where they were manufactured. Even with the same OS, devices from different plants were having problems with WiFi, a pitfall I believe I remember seeing on this forum last September when Tmobile launched the 8320.
    Last edited by jzarowitz; 10-14-2008 at 05:35 PM.

robmir no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by jzarowitz View Post
    Someone correct me if I am wrong, but when the 8320 first came out, they were being built at two different facilities. One was in Mexico, and the other, I believe, in Canada. From what I remember, there were some WiFi issues with the devices coming out of Mexico.

So, with that, its possible, if everything else is exactly identical, there could be an issue with the device for the home routers. You may have a look at the sticker under the battery to see where they were manufactured. Even with the same OS, devices from different plants were having problems with WiFi, a pitfall I believe I remember seeing on this forum last September when Tmobile launched the 8320.
    Well, I just removed my battery and mine is made in Mexico, and my son is too lazy to open his because he just just bought a clear case and printed a design which he installed between the clear case and the phone body and told me it's pain in *** to remove it now, great, I try to help him and that's his answer, well is his loss.

Anyhow thanks for the tip, I will wait until he makes his mind and check were it was assembled. I bought mine a couple of months ago and my sons 's was bought in april 2008.

By the way the laptop from which I am just writing my post, is a new Sony VAIO and today was the first time I tried to use my downstair access point and was unable to login in the Buffalo thorough it's standard Vista automatic connecting set up and I had to set the login configuration manually until I finally got logged, so it seems the Buffalo has it's own temper. I am now looged to the Buffalo,

My old Toshiba Satellite which came with a Atheros miniPCI a/b/g wifi board (which somebody told me it has one of the best radios available) didn't have any problem at all to login the first time I tried, it only asked for the 10 digits passphrase and bingo.
    Last edited by robmir; 10-14-2008 at 10:59 PM.

jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    well, youve already dismissed my idea because yours, the one that works, was made in mexico.

i do agree that its strange that yours works and his doesnt...

i hate to suggest that it could be your error, but have you double checked the mac addresses that you allow on the buffalo router against the actual mac addresses for the laptop and your sons 8320? sometimes its the simplest things that prevent technology from technologizing... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by robmir View Post
    Well, I just removed my battery and mine is made in Mexico, and my son is too lazy to open his because he just just bought a clear case and printed a design which he installed between the clear case and the phone body and told me it's pain in *** to remove it now, great, I try to help him and that's his answer, well is his loss.

Anyhow thanks for the tip, I will wait until he makes his mind and check were it was assembled. I bought mine a couple of months ago and my sons 's was bought in april 2008.

By the way the laptop from which I am just writing my post, is a new Sony VAIO and today was the first time I tried to use my downstair access point and was unable to login in the Buffalo thorough it's standard Vista automatic connecting set up and I had to set the login configuration manually until I finally got logged, so it seems the Buffalo has it's own temper. I am now looged to the Buffalo,

My old Toshiba Satellite which came with a Atheros miniPCI a/b/g wifi board (which somebody told me it has one of the best radios available) didn't have any problem at all to login the first time I tried, it only asked for the 10 digits passphrase and bingo.