Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The right thing to do would be to do whatever you can to contact the ... BlackBerry Curve forum

pr24 no está en línea Stack level 2

Advertisement

The right thing to do would be to do whatever you can to contact the original owner (email, go to prior service provider, etc.), If you have the Craig's List posting and are honest enough to go back to the person they most likely won't accuse you of anything and you could possibly get them to fight for you to get the phone reactivated. The worst thing that happens is they accuse you of stealing it, you show them the Craig's List listing and you are out the $ you spent on the phone, but you are already out that anyway.

Doing the right thing can definitely pay dividends, think what you would do if you were the one it were stolen from.

Good Luck and hopefully it works out well for you!

BiggieMack25 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by pr24 View Post
    The right thing to do would be to do whatever you can to contact the original owner (email, go to prior service provider, etc.), If you have the Craig's List posting and are honest enough to go back to the person they most likely won't accuse you of anything and you could possibly get them to fight for you to get the phone reactivated. The worst thing that happens is they accuse you of stealing it, you show them the Craig's List listing and you are out the $ you spent on the phone, but you are already out that anyway.

Doing the right thing can definitely pay dividends, think what you would do if you were the one it were stolen from.

Good Luck and hopefully it works out well for you!
    I agree. Who knows. By now they might have a blackberry and be willing to part with it. You never know....
    Biggie Mack 25
    ....I can see my house from here.....

Spot on Biggie.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Katmew no está en línea Stack level 1
    I contacted the original owner. There was an email on the BB message thing and I told him about the phone and told him the condition the phone was in. While emailing him I told him my situation and how I don't have a phone (hence me buying it off Craigslist) and he told me to keep the phone. *sparkle. I want to make it up to him somehow >< He said he was going to reactivate the phone. I hope this works. I'm so happy ><..

Congrats, I hope that he is successful in reactivating it for you. You were both victims of the thiefs actions and hopefully it will all work out for the best.

wikes82 no está en línea Stack level 1
    This is a lesson for us all when buying bb from craigslist.
    If you really have to do it, make sure before making the payment to check the ESN or IMEI of the phone.
    A simple 10 minutes call to verizon can verify if the ESN were reported stolen

RickNY no está en línea Stack level 1
    Thing is, if the original owner had the phone replaced under insurance from his carrier, he likely wont be able to reactivate it either.

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Katmew View Post
    I contacted the original owner. There was an email on the BB message thing and I told him about the phone and told him the condition the phone was in. While emailing him I told him my situation and how I don't have a phone (hence me buying it off Craigslist) and he told me to keep the phone. *sparkle. I want to make it up to him somehow >< He said he was going to reactivate the phone. I hope this works. I'm so happy ><..
    Awesome like we talked about in the begining honesty always pays off very happy it worked out for you. Enjoy your new phone and hopefully you will stick around the stack and learn all the cool things you can do.....

rjs87 no está en línea Stack level 3

Everyone has different opinions about craiglist, I've bought all my phone off craigslist and had nothing but sucess I gues when you meeting the person your buying the phone from you should profile them, if its a person in a business attire the go for it, but if he looks shady stay away

BiggieMack25 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by rjs87 View Post

Everyone has different opinions about craiglist, I've bought all my phone off craigslist and had nothing but sucess I gues when you meeting the person your buying the phone from you should profile them, if its a person in a business attire the go for it, but if he looks shady stay away
    Thiefs cant wear suits? Just look at Enron, political leaders, etc...

Truth is, you take a chance no matter where you go. Money should never be exchanged unless you make sure the ESN or IMEI is still good and confirm the phone is in good working condition. Trusting something to work on another person's words is never a good thing. Trusting everyone to be honest? Very hard to do these days.

However, I will step off my soapbox and say that I hope he is able to get it activated for you!
    Biggie Mack 25
    ....I can see my house from here.....

zyiro no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    302A0AFF
    anytime anyone buys a used phone it doesnt matter where it comes from.... call the carrier they can check the esn on the spot to tell you if its been reported stolen.

ive even seen instances where stolen phones were bought from reputable dealers online as a refurbished phone.

adamsinger77 no está en línea Stack level 2
    I found a treo and tried to connect it with sprint and same deal. Then I asked if I can send it to them so they can return it. Sprint told me they can't b ut that they can give the original owner my info so they can contact me if they want it back. The next day the police where involved and I was harrassed by the original owner as well. This upset me that I was trying to do the right thing and I ended up the bad guy somehow. If I where you contact verizon and tell them what has happend and give them any info about the criegslister that you may have and hopefully you won't have the same crap I got. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

martytorres666 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31A2F8DE
    In all honesty, I don't believe there is anyway to retrieve that type of information... Privacy laws..insurance company the cellular provider works with wouldn't disclose such information to you only because their main purpose is to file that particular claim.. And chances for gettin the company to disclose that would be impossible, even to a good samaritan, sorry babe. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Lowercase no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30D51B0D

Thumbs up Ack!

What I found out that works very well when purchasing a phone from Craigslist is to actually meet them at the cellular providers store. I have actually had 2 people I tried to get phones from that refused to meet me there, which inturn means I won't be doing business with them.

I also have been victim of a stolen phone, and actually had the guy who bought it from whoever stole it from me contact me, and he gave it back without any want of a reward, since he has Sprint and I sell Sprint, he gets treated like gold, a rare thing these days... I was 1000% suprised when my buddy got a call on his phone, saying "I think I have your boy's phone" and met him at a local gas station in MPLS and man, he was one of the coolest guys I've met in a long time. Honest and even PAID the theif for it, and didn't ask for anything in return.

What are the chances of that? I was so freakin' happy though.

My 2 cents worth.
    "My Crackberry is faster than the Rev's Blackberry®."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12