Hey everyone. My gf is currently in scotland and her phone just take a poop ... BlackBerry Curve forum

jaymzb0nd no está en línea Stack level 3

SOS Mode and SIM Card error with At&t curve

Advertisement

Hey everyone. My gf is currently in scotland and her phone just take a poop on her

"Well the first one is that my cell phone is broken or messed up. It says its in SOS mode and that there has been a "SIM card error." Its done this before and I normally just shut it off and restart it.

That didn't work so I took the battery and the Sim card out several different times and it still hasn't worked. I goggled it and it said it may be do to the fact that I'm in another country"

all help is appreciated

ma077146 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3019F3E6
    Jay, have you had a carrier store check the phone? At worst, you wouldn't be able to use the network if it's the same (GSM/CDMA) as your phone, or shouldn't be able to find any coverage.

The "SOS" mode sounds like our equivalent of "Emergency Calls Only". Every carrier is required to allow any cellphone to make emergency (911) calls, probably the same across the big pond. Sim card error could be due to the fact that her SIM card doesn't have correct information to work on the system(s) in Scotland.

I recommend dropping it off for someone to look at, and then heading to the local pub for a "wee pint" until it's finished.

jaymzb0nd no está en línea Stack level 3
    the pint sounds like a great idea. thanks for the advice. she's supposed to be coming back this weekend to the states. my 8320 sometimes shows a SOS when i don't have service

peterthill no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    281860C8
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

It could be a broken/damaged SIM. If the failure persists in the US do an x-check with you're phone. Put your GF SIM into your phone and via versa. If the failure goes with the SIM the the SIm is crappy.

Also your GF could check if the phone works with a lokal SIM e.g. Vodafone or o2 or TMO UK.

The good thing is that she saves a lot of roaming costs

HTH
    Peter

Blakefreak no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242A9091
    My 8320 does this everytime I go out of then back into signal.
    Seems I remember that RIM came out with an update a while back to address this same problem with the 8300.
    It's possible that the 8320 is affected because that update was never issued for the 8320, since after all no one switches carrier and takes their phone with them.