As a new representative at T-Mobile's customer service, I'm in the learning process about these ... BlackBerry Curve forum

ironcurtain no está en línea Stack level 1

Someone please help me understand what this mobile technology is all about!

Advertisement

As a new representative at T-Mobile's customer service, I'm in the learning process about these blackberry phones and I am going to get one myself. To better serve my upcoming customers, are there any veterans out there who can bring me up to speed on these next few questions?

What is GPRS, and how does it compare to EDGE and how did they both get started?

What is GSM, and how does it relate to 3G or 2G networks?

What specifically classifies a network as 3G versus 2G?

I just started, and I'm trying to catch up with the mobile side of technology, unfortunately the only expertise I have at this current moment is with laptops and personal computers, which is why I chose to work where I did. With your help, it would allow me to assist our customers in the future better. Heck, even with your help I might even get to the point where i'll be as knowledgable as you!

Thanks for reading this post, and I truly can't wait to get my 8320 curve. I played with it nearly all day while it was rope-tethered to the kiosk, my thumbs hurt at the end of the day I used it so much!

BB 8300 8700r no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Someone please help me understand what this mobile technology is all about!

Hi,

Best place to start is Wikipedia...

Do a search on wireless or GSM, EDGE etc...

peteriscool787 no está en línea Stack level 2

gprs is a slower internet connection
    edge is the fastes on the balckberry. Your phone should always be connected to edge most of the time.
    Gsm refers to the type of cell technology we are on, the world standard for cell phones is GSM. (Basically allows sim cards)

3G is once again data network for example it goes gprs, edge(2g), 3g
    I think I speak for most people when I say we want a 3g blackberry hope this helps.

Peter
    ATT sales rep.

sgtdisturbed47 no está en línea Stack level 3

There is much to know and always new technology around the corner. New Bluetooth protocols, faster networks, the [now] sudden onslaught of touch-screen technology (Palms have had this for years but now there are phones that are less expensive with this technology), and better internet usage.

Mobile power devices like Blackberries (smart phones) are designed for media, a wider range of communication (push email [email goes straight to the phone instead of having to check email], bluetooth data transfer between devices, etc), and are great for business users.

The best way to do research is to start out small. Get a spec sheet by Googling the device you are interested in, and if you come across a term that you don't know or understand, then go to Wikipedia.org and search there.

Most spec sheets will be full of odd words that you may have not seen before, but just take it in stride and investigate the individual specifications. Take a couple hours a night and go online and do some research. You might not memorize everything in only a couple of days but after a week or so you will better understand what these and other phones are all about and what they are capable of. It's exciting to know what there is available on today's mobile devices.

monica.simons no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    ASKME

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I have to agree. Glad they came here so they will be able to help customers, yet sad to see they are obviously not given proper training! *sigh* would be nice to actually talk to someone who knows something when I have to call in. *but that doesn't usually happen cause I just go here*