Thats how the story begins. The story ends with lots of dust between the lcd ... BlackBerry Curve forum

kolosus no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    315677A8

So I dissembled my curve...

Advertisement

Thats how the story begins. The story ends with lots of dust between the lcd and the outer screen. How can I get them out? Someone point me in the right direction.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    You're going to have to take it apart again and clean it out. That's the only way you're going to be able to clean it.

doughboy4life no está en línea Stack level 4
    Youtube has a video that will take you threw the steps.

PIN/ID
    315677A8
    I guess I didn't specify the problem. I already took it apart 2-3 times more... "cleaning" it. But seems that the only thing that happens is things get worse progressively... Now not only is there dust theres smudges. I'm running out of ideas. I guess, barring another different suggestion, I'm going to have to do the best I can and just live with the rest...

map1978 no está en línea Stack level 2
    you don't have one of those eye glass micro cloths? how can there be dust if you "clean" it off?

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    Ok, sorry about the vagueness kolosus.

I haven't done this with my Curve, but I did do this with my old Pearl. This is what you need.

1. A dust free environment...barring a that you actually have a "clean room" one that is dust free like IBM. The best thing you can do is, go into your bathroom and turn on the shower. Let it get steamy in there. The steam will basically pull most of the dust out of the air.

2. Get a can of air duster. Any place like Target, Best Buy, Wal-Mart usually has them for pretty cheap.

3. Get a microfiber cloth. Usually in the electronics dept or actually in the Automotive department has them too. I just use the one I use for washing my Car

4. Glass cleaner or a muti-purpose surface cleaner (windex, or multi-surface pledge)

5. Latex gloves without powder (optional, but helps not to leave smudges)

So here's what you can do...
    1. Steam up the bathroom. You can take apart the BB before hand if you would like. It would probably be better since you wouldn't want to do this in a hot steamy room. That wouldn't be comfortable.

2. Dust the Device off with the can of air duster. Try to get in all the little spots the lints works it way into. Near the buttons and speaker holes etc.

3. Spray the FACEPLATE/LENS with windex and wipe down with microfiber cloth. Please don't spray the LCD or the device itself.

4. Once you have it cleaned. Make sure to dust it again with the canned air. If there's more dust repeat steps 2 and 3.

5. Once you're satisfied with how it is you can put it back together.

Pretty simple, you just need to prep and have the right tools. Hope this helps. Good luck!

p.s. Also just as a precaution you don't want to have the device in the moist environment for too long. If it gets too steamy in there it may trigger the water indicator on the device. It shouldn't trigger the indicator if you do this procedure since it should only take you about a few minutes to do this. Like if you leave it in there for like an hour with the shower going then you may have an issue
    Last edited by reddog187; 10-14-2008 at 01:44 AM.

PIN/ID
    315677A8
    Thanks for the detailed information and thoughts. I'll do as you mentioned and hopefully it'll solve my issue. Worst case it cant make things any worse. At this point I dont want the crystal clear, fresh from the factory, feel I just want a relatively clean one.

phatmanxxl no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    3M TA3
    i did the same thing with both my curve and pearl (got the screen all dusty inside), i pretty much did what reddog posted above, didnt think to use gloves though. The cloth i used was the one i got with my glasses.
    phatman the phat stacker!