My GPS doesn't seem to be working quite right on my 8900. It took almost ... BlackBerry Curve forum

GlitchEXE no está en línea Stack level 1

Slow GPS on Rogers 8900?

Advertisement

My GPS doesn't seem to be working quite right on my 8900.
    It took almost an hour for it to find me as I was taking the train home one day, and maybe 30 seconds another day. It's not something I have on all the time, but I'd like to be able to turn it on and have it find me relatively quickly.

Anyone else having this problem, or know if this is normal?

malejko no está en línea Stack level 2
    Heck, I can't even get the GPS on my 8900 to work at all! Rogers had a 'block' on my data usage because of the messaging plan I'm on, but after I got that off, they said it should start working.. no luck yet. Still stilling at N0°0.00, W 0°0.00.

darryl71 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    retired
    Quote Originally Posted by malejko View Post
    Heck, I can't even get the GPS on my 8900 to work at all! Rogers had a 'block' on my data usage because of the messaging plan I'm on, but after I got that off, they said it should start working.. no luck yet. Still stilling at N0°0.00, W 0°0.00.
    Are you Santa ? lol

LOL. No, I'm not Santa, but he didn't get me what I wanted for Christmas, so I had to buy the phone I wanted that thinks it's still at the north pole.

I had the same problem with the N 0°0.00, W 0°0.00 coordinates. Only way I got around it was to go to the BlackBerry Maps app and say start GPS. It eventually found me, and then in the Options->Advanced->GPS section I did an update my location and it found me then.

Haven't been able to do it since though.

When I go into BB maps it says "Your device is not configured for BIS or BES access. Consult your wireless service provider or system administrator".... Then I can start GPS navigation, and it doesn't find any satellites. Go to GPS option; hit refresh, nothing.. still at the north pole. I'm on BIS, and the tech said that removing the block may or may not make BB maps work... hasn't worked. *shrug*

Tried Google maps too; it doesn't even load. Gets stuck loading and won't go away without a soft reset. Time to call Rogers again!

javatyger no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    U5W15H
    Quote Originally Posted by malejko View Post
    When I go into BB maps it says "Your device is not configured for BIS or BES access. Consult your wireless service provider or system administrator".... Then I can start GPS navigation, and it doesn't find any satellites. Go to GPS option; hit refresh, nothing.. still at the north pole. I'm on BIS, and the tech said that removing the block may or may not make BB maps work... hasn't worked. *shrug*

Tried Google maps too; it doesn't even load. Gets stuck loading and won't go away without a soft reset. Time to call Rogers again!

It's not "Time to Call Rogers" again because you don't have a data plan. You said you were on the email or messenging plan. No Data Plan, GPS is usually automatically disabled. You'll need to add a regular blackberry data plan, then it will allow you to connect to GPS. Same goes with Google Maps - it's based on data usage, so naturally no data plan would equal to Google Maps freezing on you because you can't download maps.

... but I got them to disable the block on data, so that I can get data if I want to (at a crazy rate per KB), and the guy said that GPS may or may not work after this.

Realistically, I just want the option to use GPS, and if I'm within Wi-Fi coverage, then why couldn't I use it? I can use the browser (hotspot) within Wi-Fi, and get the weather app updates, so why not Google maps or the like?

PIN/ID
    U5W15H
    hmm...good point - wifi should download the maps so you at least know where you are. The problem with Google Maps is it's based of the cellphone towers and trianglation, so Wifi might throw it off...at least that's my guess and the reason it's freezing. I work for a Rogers dealer and the same thing happens with an 8320 I sold with unlimited emails only, no data. I downloaded google maps for her and it froze. I think the GPS functionality is disabled with out the presence of a data plan for GPS devices, and google maps won't work on wifi because of the trianglation requirement.

That's my guess anyways.

Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmee...

But mostly understandable.

Okay, so while I've got you here then, what is the advantage of UMA for the customer? From the technology standpoint, it saves Rogers towers, and extends coverage (okay, the latter is good for customers), but it still uses my monthly minutes, right?

PIN/ID
    U5W15H
    UMA advantage: subscribe to Talkspot (home calling zone) and you get unlimited local calling($15), or Long Distance within Canada ($20).

Bah; My5 and extended coverage is enough. I don't need unlimited local for $15 a month. Thanks for answering though! Slow day? LOL

PIN/ID
    U5W15H
    LOL Yeah really slow. First we get hammered by a ton of snow, and now it's raining like crazy. Gotta love Vancouver weather. :-D I noticed that most people don't even know about the talkspot service anyways. Only a few people I've ever sold it too actually keep it.

I believe it. I had to search for more info on the Rogers site when I wanted to know more about it a month ago. For $15/mo you can get a voip landline, so it's hard to justify another $15 on your plan. Besides.. isn't everyone just texting and emailing now? lol

So I guess no more thoughts on why the GPS is slow / unresponsive with the Rogers version of the 8900?
    I'm BIS with the $30 6GB data plan, so it definately wouldn't be that.

Just curious is all.