Has anyone with a Curve 8900 tried using Slingplayer for Blackberry yet over a EDGE ... BlackBerry Curve forum

ultraspaz no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Slingplayer on Curve 8900 using EDGE?

Advertisement

Has anyone with a Curve 8900 tried using Slingplayer for Blackberry yet over a EDGE network? I may have to leave T-Mobile to watch a Slingbox/Tivo on my Blackberry if it can't be done. However, I'm not sure if I want a Storm because of bad Verizon experience in the past and I'm not a fan of AT&T either.

As a side note my T-Mobile rep thinks a 3G version of the Curve 8900 could (emphasis on could) be coming to TMobile in a year or so. T-Mobile has 3G here in Minneapolis.

jaesternbach no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24b04967
    ~via smartphone~ I wouldn't be surprised if tmo got the 8900 with 3G. I was speaking to a CC rep and she alluded to another bberry at the end of this year, but that's all she would say.

I wonder...

jstodda no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241E85A8
    Don't hold your breath. TMO won't launch a 8900 3g. They could have included the 3g antenna but left it out for cost and better battery life. We are getting a version of the storm in q3 per my rim rep. As soon as I have details you'll know. I had a 8900 in hand 2 months ago... But. I value my job ~via smartphone~

obione no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24aa759c
    with slingbox can you set your DVR to record while your away.

gatechfireblade no está en línea Stack level 3
    I've used edge on my bold to stream from my slingbox.... it sucks... quality is horrid and lots of interrupts.
    Mechanical Engineering
    Georgia Institute of Technology
    2004 Honda CBR 1000RR "Fireblade"
    2006 Yamaha R6

BBSlinger no está en línea Stack level 1

My EDGE Experience

I'm finding the playback much better on the 8900 versus the 8320. Because the EDGE signal has not changed, I attributed the improved performance to either the faster processor or more memory.

infinitekris no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24AD9B13
    The 9300 Gemini is the 3G Curve. Not due out anytime soon. Looking to be out in 2010. Blackberry reserved the 9000 series for the 3G phones. The 8900 will not becoming out with any 3G version.
    Blackberry is taking its time with it to ensure the battery issues are taken care of. The Curve is their highest selling phone so when the 3G finally comes out they want it to work up to expectations. They have hopefully learned their lesson when rushing a phone(Storm).

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by infinitekris View Post
    The 9300 Gemini is the 3G Curve. Not due out anytime soon. Looking to be out in 2010. Blackberry reserved the 9000 series for the 3G phones. The 8900 will not becoming out with any 3G version.
    Blackberry is taking its time with it to ensure the battery issues are taken care of. The Curve is their highest selling phone so when the 3G finally comes out they want it to work up to expectations. They have hopefully learned their lesson when rushing a phone(Storm).
    "Okay, we’ve got to have a little chat here about the BlackBerry 9300 which we referred to as the “Gemini.” Indeed there was some confusion on our part (yes, we made a boo-boo and we mistakenly referred to the BlackBerry 9300 as the “Gemini”. It is not the Gemini. The Gemini is apparently the codename for the BlackBerry 8325, a T-Mobile GSM/EDGE device with OS 5.0, a 320×240 display, 2 megapixel camera, and Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n (they’re going to put 802.11n on a crap device?). It was slated to come out in September of this year but with 8900 Curve about to hit up T-Mobile we’d think it pretty stupid of RIM to release it, especially since it’s got some less than desirable specs. With all of this said, we can assure you that the device we were talking about is indeed real."

Via BGR

Quote Originally Posted by BBSlinger View Post
    I'm finding the playback much better on the 8900 versus the 8320. Because the EDGE signal has not changed, I attributed the improved performance to either the faster processor or more memory.

Thanks for the info. After much thought I decided to stick with TMO and bought the 8900. I dont have to watch TV on my phone but it would be nice to have it for down time away from home. I did pay extra for a one year contract just in case a 3G TMO BB phone shows up next year!

supersauce no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    i use it with EDGE as well... its bad but not horrible... if you have good reception you just need to let it stream for a but until you get a good stream going and you will be able to watch it without interruptions.
    Super Sauce

kkrueger84 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Ask :)
    I use the Slacker radio app on my 8900. I have my phone unlocked for use on AT&T, and I've never had any buffering issues or anything with the songs. The only annoying issues are the ads, and those can be cleared up with a Slack Radio + subscription.

While I don't think the 8900 will be 3G on any carrier, I have no issues using edge, especially for mobile radio or things of that sort.

claykin no está en línea Stack level 2
    A 3G Blackberry will be coming to TMobile later this year. Probably for the Fall and by the latest for the holiday season. The only reason they don't have it now is due to at&t's 1 year exclusive on the Bold/3G on GSM networks.

I doubt it will be the same Bold with a AWS band radio, it will probably be a new generation product (sort of 2nd gen Bold).

I did get a one year contract with my 8900 just in case a 3g comes out 2010. Till then, I'm actually suprised how well the Slingbox works on EDGE with a good signal. My significant other is also using the slingbox on her T-Mo 8120. Yes there is buffering with EDGE but not as much as I thought. On WIFI its seamless. I also use it during tethering with my Dell Mini 9on the road, it works best to pause the Slingplayer on the Netbook for a couple of minutes to build up the buffer. (No I'm not watching while driving, my passenger is)