What is the deal with getting an internet calling service for my 8320. I have ... BlackBerry Curve forum

kipplewipple no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Skype for 8320

Advertisement

What is the deal with getting an internet calling service for my 8320. I have used skype in the past and I know it works well, so I might as well stick with it unless there is a better option. I tried to download skype for smartphones right off there website but it only works with all that Microsoft yada yada. I have absolutely no service plan with my BB and I want to make calls when I have a wifi connection. I travel out of the country too often to make any service plan worthless, but I would love to use a phone for international calls for next to nothing, if even just when I find a wifi connect. Now this seems all very plausible, but I just can't find out how to get it done. Any help would be wonderful from Y'all., IM+ seems allright, but kinda silly that you have to pay 25 bucks right. Is there a free option, or someplace to rip IM+?
    Kipple wipple
    Last edited by kipplewipple; 11-27-2007 at 01:27 AM.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Re: Skype for 8320

there is a skype for BBs

http://www.shapeservices.com/en/prod...pe&platform=bb

http://www.iskoot.com/

That was with a quick google search...not really sure if they work though...just do some research.

Also I think you need a data plan for wifi to even work. Might want to keep that in mind.

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

Wow, you travel international all of the time and the $25 is too expensive that you want to find a way to pirate it?? Just pony up the $25 ir charge it to one of your internatinal clients as the price is acceptable and well worth it if you are into IM'ing.

kipplewipple no está en línea Stack level 1

thanks peeps,
    in my defense I travel internationally on my own terms, in fact I picked apples for two months to go to thailand, hardly a buisness trip, just trying to cheese the system for cheap calling/camera/mp3/ wifi browsing. By the way, I have no data plan at all and the wifi works just great so far.

ohmiss no está en línea Stack level 1

Am I to understand that if I download Skype to my 8320 and then go to Paris, I can go to a wi-fi spot (I have the unlimited bb plan on TMO) and call home without incurring international charges?

Ericbl no está en línea Stack level 2

the 8320 has a wifi radio built in, unlike skype the person on the other end does not have to be using skype, if your hotel room has wifi, the phone will lock onto the network your calls are made voip in lieu of the cell system tower, i have purchased a small router to plug into the ethernet cable (most hotels during my travels do not have wifi). I will be in Bahrain next week, I will be checking it out.

Ericble,

I'm afraid I don't understand. I talked to TMO and they told me that I can go to a wi-fi spot in any country and make unlimited calls within THAT area (local calls) for free, but if I call back to the US I will be charged whatever the rate is from that country (it varies per minute depending on the country). I thought that downloading Skype would essentially turn my BB into a computer and allow me to make calls without the per minute cost that you would usually incur. What am I missing here?

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

SKYPE to SKYPE calls are free, not SKYPE to a phone number.

Ericbl no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Ohmiss, just as dubdub stated skype is computer to computer. the 8320 allows voip(voice over internet protocol)from your phone to any other phone. If you are acessing wifi (indicated by UMA in leiu of gprs/edge)you can call a U.S. Number from outside the U.S.at no additional charge. If you call any international number uma or edge you will be charged international rates irregardless where you call from.

Ericbl,

Thanks for letting me know. I guess the guy at TMO store was wrong. He told me just the opposite. Another related question. If my phone shows both UMA and Edge how do I know which one I'm accessing for the phone call?

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~the device can't show both unless you have some strange theme going on. It either shows gsm,edge,EDGE, sos, UMA or uma. It might show the wifi indicator along with the words edge in which case it is using the providers wireless connection for the voice. In order for you to be on UMA, the device must specifically say UMA (not just show the wifi connection indicator) otherwise you are not using wifi instead using the normal cell channels.

hprevatt no está en línea Stack level 1

I have not been able to find a true skype option for the blackberry that makes skype out calls over voip. All those applications like IM+ still use your cell plan...it is a server of some type that calls you back on your cell phone...pretty pointless to me....I gave up on searching for a true voip skype option for the blackberry. My guess is that until skype comes out with it there won't be one.

btmg no está en línea Stack Pro

Quote Originally Posted by hprevatt View Post
    I have not been able to find a true skype option for the blackberry that makes skype out calls over voip. All those applications like IM+ still use your cell plan...it is a server of some type that calls you back on your cell phone...pretty pointless to me....I gave up on searching for a true voip skype option for the blackberry. My guess is that until skype comes out with it there won't be one.
    I have been looking as well for a Skype or replacement for my 8320 but none exist so far. The ImSkoot needs a data plan which makes it redundant if you are travelling. If anyone knows of a sip client or voip service that is direct, I would appreciate it. For now you can you Jajah.com but pay.

Thanks

caryahl no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by kipplewipple View Post
    What is the deal with getting an internet calling service for my 8320. I have used skype in the past and I know it works well, so I might as well stick with it unless there is a better option. I tried to download skype for smartphones right off there website but it only works with all that Microsoft yada yada. I have absolutely no service plan with my BB and I want to make calls when I have a wifi connection. I travel out of the country too often to make any service plan worthless, but I would love to use a phone for international calls for next to nothing, if even just when I find a wifi connect. Now this seems all very plausible, but I just can't find out how to get it done. Any help would be wonderful from Y'all., IM+ seems allright, but kinda silly that you have to pay 25 bucks right. Is there a free option, or someplace to rip IM+?
    Kipple wipple
    hi. your situation is the same as mine. i want to use skype on a bb to make calls overseas and from overseas when i am in a hotspot. have you found out how to do this?

rlil no está en línea Stack level 1

Wow.. thanks for the info