Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Running 4.6.1.133 beta. Battery life dramatically improved.... BlackBerry Curve forum

bajanbastard no está en línea Stack level 4

Advertisement

Running 4.6.1.133 beta. Battery life dramatically improved.
    Device history: 8100 > 8320 > 8900 & 9530. Keep crackin'

BBP
    BBP no está en línea Stack level 3
    114 battery life is real nice!!!

PIN/ID
    AskMe

adam917 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Maybe battery life is why T-Mobile USA decided to release this unit later. Weren't there problems with the 9000 that AT&T decided to wait till they were fixed too?

BBP
    BBP no está en línea Stack level 3
    TMO is out already with 114 I got mine last week

Osprey no está en línea Stack level 2

Update on battery life

Hi - thought this update might interest some of you, especially UK users who I think are getting the 8900 with the standard sleeve/pouch and OS .101.

Having assumed that the pouch was the cause of my battery draining, I went back to Carphone Warehouse to get my 3rd replacement pouch in 12 days. They assured me that this pouch had come from a fresh batch of 8900s.

I later charged the phone fully and left it overnight in its new pouch (switched off). Next morning, 100% battery charge ! I checked a couple of emails/calls and then turned it off again, back in its pouch. Later that evening, still 100% battery charge. I thought the issue was now solved.

However, I left it overnight again in its pouch with 100% charge, switched off as always, but this time on my computer desk, within half a metre of a small computer speaker. When I switched it on this morning - 65% charge. I used the phone to read 3 emails and take one brief call - it had gone down to 60% charge. It has done nothing in the hour since apart from ring twice, now it's down to 55% charge.

I really dont know what to think any more, other than this is totally unsatisfactory. Any ideas ?!?

Sirthinks no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2831A313
    Quote Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post
    Indeed the pouch keeps the phone awake and therefore drains battery really fast.
    Monitor the pouch, put your phone in it and see if it goes to sleep and STAYS that way.
    The pouch on my first 8900 did indeed keep the phone awake. When I replaced the phone they replaced the pouch as well. The second pouch does indeed put the phone to sleep.

I don't use the pouch anymore. I am using a regular curve pouch that I lined with a piece of cloth to make up for the difference in thickness of the phone. This pouch also puts the phone to sleep.
    If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

Sirthinks no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2831A313
    Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post

However, I left it overnight again in its pouch with 100% charge, switched off as always,
    Please educate me. What difference does the pouch make if the phone is OFF?
    If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

Splitz no está en línea Stack level 3
    Isn't it true that with new batteries there is a certain amount of time that you must leave the phone charging to have a complete charge?

Kind of like breaking in a motor on a car. When you buy a brand new car, they advise not to drive it about 60MPH or 100Kph for the first 3,000 to break it in.

I noticed that I had to do that on my brand new laptop from Dell, batter was extremely weak at first, then as I kept it plugged in longer, the battery would last longer if not plugged in.

Also, everbody must realize that their battery life in comparison to others is subjective. Everybody uses their phones for different purposes and have different applications running at ALL times.

To save my battery life on my 8320 which was extremely good, was:

1. WiFi OFF
    2. Only T-Mobile radio
    3. GMail and other messengers off

The ONLY app that I have running in the background is local weather and e-mails.

For people that are consnatly using data (texting, phone calls,) then your battery life will be significantly less!

Another note on batteries.....let your battery go nearly dead BEFORE recharging it. This will force the phone to do a complete charge. If it doesn't need to be charge...don't charge it.

SeRViiCiiO no está en línea Stack level 5
    so far im getting good battery life on my 8900--- as soon as i got it out of the box i charged it for about 8 hours giving it a good charge is important to me-- i hate being with a low battery phone.
    im not running much programs on the phone, i have viigo, myspace and beejive running in the BG. I charge my phone to 100% and during the day I probably receive around 50 emails, both personal and corporate, and by the time i get home- 6, 630pm- i still have about 80% battery---

like splitz said, everyone uses their phone diffferent, some send 100 txt and 100 emails everyday and browse for 3 hours.

depending on how you use the phone will reflect the percentage of battery left on your phone at the end of the day
    Phone: T-Mo S4- Stock-Rooted

[Former]
    Device: T-Mobile S3
    Device: HTC Amaze 4G
    Device: HTC Vision (T-Mobile G2)
    Device: BlackBerry (9700, 8900,8320,8120,8100)

slemmer no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    206E69D8
    I noticed my new 8900 was 'on' somehow. The unit was warm as if the phone or browser feature was not turned off. I don't think it's battey related, but firmware instead.

silviajdm no está en línea Stack level 3
    I just got mines this morning and brought it to the office with me and I didn't notice any issues with the battery. I guess I have to play with it more to see if I notice anything. It's a shame I can't use my battery from m 8320 though; by far the best mobile battery life I've experience ever.

JCG3 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    GPS.... it just suck the hell of your battery when it warms up! but after that its not that bad. however, i would recommend that you set your phone to close all apps and clean up the memory after you put it in the case.... 90 secs is a long time for it to stay on after your not touching it. if you dont use the wifi, leave it off. i have UMA at my house but as soon as i leave for school i turn it off and i can go a long time on the battery. also have the phone turn itself off for like 30mins at night when you are most likely not using it. this allows it to shutdown all apps that are running and sucking that battery life. i would also think about what programs are running in the back ground. music will suck some life out of it for sure. hope that helps.

JCG3

JeffNNJ no está en línea Stack level 3
    Agreed, the 8900's battery life isn't even close to the 8300. I am sure that putting it in standby would help but I probably get about 200 emails a day plus call and texts so it would never stay asleep for very long. I am currently using the leather sleeve with the chrome BB logo, as opposed to the one that it came with, and noticed that the screen does completely shut off when it's inside. With my 8399 I usually burned through about 1/2 of my battery life during the course of a day. With the 8900 it's more like 90% which still means for now, while the battery is new, I don't have to recharge during the day.

catwoman66 no está en línea Stack level 2
    I am also experiencing poor battery on the 8900, I left mine in bedside mode only to wake up to a red battery, I was testing again after upgrading to .133 so no luck this morning. It was charged to 100% and was then recharged again 3 hours later as it was down to 30% I know I have quite a few apps in the background but compared to my Pearls and Flip it's terrible. Are RIM doing anything about this I ask?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast