Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hi - I am an ex-Curve 8300 user, but have switched to the 8900 as ... BlackBerry Curve forum

Osprey no está en línea Stack level 2

Shocking Battery Life on 8900

Advertisement

Hi - I am an ex-Curve 8300 user, but have switched to the 8900 as of 10 days ago. I never had any problems with the 8300 - it is a great phone, but I was due for an upgrade.

I like the 8900 very much. However, the battery life has been shockingly bad. After three days' use, I had the battery changed at the supplier (Carphone Warehouse, UK) and also asked them to change the pouch. I also switched off WiFi and adjusted the backlight etc. Initially, these changes seemed to be promoting greater battery life, albeit still draining quite quickly.

However, last night I left the phone with two bars showing on the battery symbol, before switching it off and leaving it in its pouch. When I switched it on this morning, there were no bars left and the battery sign was red. Surely this is proof that there are faulty pouches circulating, at least in the UK. I have seen a great deal of correspondence from other new 8900 users about this, so it is not an isolated incident.

I would also say that the new pouch is not a great design; what is the point of leaving so much of the top of the phone exposed ?

Can someone from RIM please look into this ? Any tips on how to get to the right person at Carphone Warehouse or RIM (UK) to get it sorted out ?

Thanks in advance for any further examples of this problem.

uberspeed no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24aa4e29
    http://supportforums.blackberry.com/...&thread.id=674

Someone else put this up, hope it helps.

bajanbastard no está en línea Stack level 4
    Yes the battery life of my 8900 is nothing compared to my 8320. The OS updates have improved it somewhat but still i get roughly 6-8 hours. I'm not the average user however my 8900 is an extra body part and is always in use.
    Device history: 8100 > 8320 > 8900 & 9530. Keep crackin'

uberspeed no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24aa4e29
    Quote Originally Posted by bajanbastard View Post
    Yes the battery life of my 8900 is nothing compared to my 8320. The OS updates have improved it somewhat but still i get roughly 6-8 hours. I'm not the average user however my 8900 is an extra body part and is always in use.
    6 to 8 hours!?
    Would you mind listing your average usage patterns? Backlight settings, what radios you have on all day, etc please?

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    Seems to be the life of the new blackberrys. Rim is really doing a number on it's loyal customers who buy EVERY NEW PHONE! The Bold, The Storm and The Javelin----none of them can hold a performance and quality candle to the Curve. That really sucks. (BTW....ex-storm user.)
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?

bajanbastard no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by uberspeed View Post
    6 to 8 hours!?
    Would you mind listing your average usage patterns? Backlight settings, what radios you have on all day, etc please?
    Sure.

I usually leave the 8900 charging over night. Lets say i leave home at say 8 AM. I'm usually listening to CBs podcasts or music while chatting on BBM and Windows Live while i wait for the bus. Same during the trip BBM. MSN, maybe a few E-mails and web browsing. I'd put the 8900 up while i'm meeting anyone (important ) but otherwise i'm always on it. By the time i get back home 6 hours or so later the battery would be down to about 2 bars ready the go in the orange. My back light settings are for 90 seconds and is set to the dimmest. (10). I'll charge it to 100% before i leave home today and report back exactly what i did and how long the battery lasts.
    Device history: 8100 > 8320 > 8900 & 9530. Keep crackin'

TheBigNewt no está en línea Stack level 3
    the OEM pouch is defective many times. It's too tight and presses on keys. Just get a real leather RIM pouch. Much nicer than the cheapo pleather one that comes with it and fits better because the sides actually form and hold their shape once you break it in a little. That's my experience with Curve pouches.
    BB Pearl, Seidio rubberized case.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsNowOrNever View Post
    Seems to be the life of the new blackberrys. Rim is really doing a number on it's loyal customers who buy EVERY NEW PHONE! The Bold, The Storm and The Javelin----none of them can hold a performance and quality candle to the Curve. That really sucks. (BTW....ex-storm user.)

Oh no! :cry:

Not something I wanna hear. C'mon I've been saving my upgrade for almost 3 months now. Hearing this makes me doubt my bb love. Why must you shatter my dreams? I guess I'm gonna have to see what else is there after testing the new curve. I love my current 8310 to death but all these things are making me doubt the choices I have made. Btw, what are you using now?
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by raton View Post
    Oh no! :cry:

Not something I wanna hear. C'mon I've been saving my upgrade for almost 3 months now. Hearing this makes me doubt my bb love. Why must you shatter my dreams? I guess I'm gonna have to see what else is there after testing the new curve. I love my current 8310 to death but all these things are making me doubt the choices I have made. Btw, what are you using now?
    I high tailed it back to the curve! LOL! However, i did stick it out till I dropped my stormand cracked the screen (which again proves my point...I've dropped iphones, curves and pearls and NEVER had a screen break!)
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?

goldenhours no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Quote Originally Posted by uberspeed View Post
    http://supportforums.blackberry.com/...&thread.id=674

Someone else put this up, hope it helps.
    Mmmh.. interesting thread... Just got my 8900 in O2 Ireland yesterday, still on my first charge and almost 4 bars battery left. Haven't tried out the pouch yet (never used it on my Curve either thanks to a nice leather casemate case from Pinstack!) - guess I'll throw the pouch straight into the bin and get something decent!

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Indeed the pouch keeps the phone awake and therefore drains battery really fast.
    Monitor the pouch, put your phone in it and see if it goes to sleep and STAYS that way.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by bajanbastard View Post
    Sure.

I usually leave the 8900 charging over night. Lets say i leave home at say 8 AM. I'm usually listening to CBs podcasts or music while chatting on BBM and Windows Live while i wait for the bus. Same during the trip BBM. MSN, maybe a few E-mails and web browsing. I'd put the 8900 up while i'm meeting anyone (important ) but otherwise i'm always on it. By the time i get back home 6 hours or so later the battery would be down to about 2 bars ready the go in the orange. My back light settings are for 90 seconds and is set to the dimmest. (10). I'll charge it to 100% before i leave home today and report back exactly what i did and how long the battery lasts.

Oh my! I have my 8120 on the same settings (except for the backlight timeout) and I get 15-18 hours out of mine on the original battery (I need to replace my extended battery). I started my day yesterday at 7 AM with the following usage:

BBM: All day
    JiveTalk (aka BeeJive): All day
    E-mail: All day
    Backlight Brightness: 10
    Backlight Timeout: 10 seconds
    LED Indicator: Off
    WiFi Indicator: Off
    Auto On/Off: Off at 4 AM and On at 5 AM
    QuickPull: 4 AM

I came home last night around 10 PM and still had 2-3 battery level indicator bars left.
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 01-22-2009 at 08:25 PM.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Forgot the fact that I usually make between 1-5 calls a day averaging 2-5 minutes with WiFi and BlueTooth off. If I use one of the MP3 player apps on my phone (MiuTunes, FlipSide or the native MP3 player), I get around 14 hours. I also have Viigo running and I play 2-3 games a day. I browse the web a few hours a day and check MySpace and FaceBook from the apps.
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 01-22-2009 at 08:30 PM.

adam917 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Looks like I'm going to need to wait for that Seidio extended battery like I did for my 8320. I don't care much about a new lid that pokes out if I can get 18 hours of MP3 playback.

seidioseidio no está en línea Stack level 3

Seidio extended batteries for Blackberry 8900

Quote Originally Posted by adam917 View Post
    Looks like I'm going to need to wait for that Seidio extended battery like I did for my 8320. I don't care much about a new lid that pokes out if I can get 18 hours of MP3 playback.
    Seidio plans to released 2600 mah extended battery for BB 8900 late next week. This extended battery will nearly double the capacity of standard battery.

Seidio is currently shipping standard size extended battery for BB 8900.

Seidio

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast