Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I just returned my 14 day old 8900 back to t-mobile for a new 8900. ... BlackBerry Curve forum

icaro2000 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask me!

Sent back my 8900. NO BB for a few days!! Help!

Advertisement

I just returned my 14 day old 8900 back to t-mobile for a new 8900.

I only returned it because of a loose (from top to bottom) and wobbly (from side to side) battery cover, and because the keyboard keys would slide around as a whole.

The top to bottom looseness on the battery cover was really not that bad and it was something I could live with via the electrical tape fix, but the cover also slightly flexed upwards on the sides. On the front of the phone, the shiny black surface between the keys seemed to flex and feel like it would eventually peel up or detach itself after some extended use. On top of all these issues, the keys would also slightly shift in place. They would all shift in unison if you laid your thumb across the keys to slide them back and fourth or from side to side.

All of these loose parts combined made my 8900 feel as if I was squeezing a plastic sandwich when using it. When typing the keys would make inconsistent click and clack noises while the battery cover flexed in and out acting like a see-saw on the edges where I would grip the phone with my hands. Every key stroke made it feel like I was 'squeezing it together making it flex with subtle random creaking sounds here and there.

When I first got my 8900 I was amazed by how tight the battery cover felt compared to the two pearl 8120s and the old curve I have used. After the first five days though, the battery cover loosened up and then I noticed the upwards rise or flex of the cover after that. I was contemplating returning it for a new one before the end of my 14 day period because of the loose door, but then once I noticed the keys shifting (possibly being the cause of the random click noises) I definitely decided to exchange it for a new unit. Everything else about my 8900 was flawless and amazing to use. I love it and can't wait for my new replacement to be in my hands.

Luckily I was able to get it shipped out today which is the last day I was able to do it for the full refund or a new phone.

In anycase, the CSR that I talked to last night felt bad about me having to go without the BB until the new one arrives, so he added MYFave5's Unilimited to my account for FREE!!! He also gave me free express shipping($20), $10 account credit for shipping the old phone back to t-mobile, unlimited t-mobile to t-mobile, one month of full unlimited BIS data for free, plu 1200 Bonus minutes (acts likeroll-over minutes, kind of) added to my account for a year !!!! T-mobile hooked it up out of the blue once again. I wasn't even looking for any deals or anything! I just wanted to return my 8900 for a new one!

Now I am going to be without a phone until the new one is here. I even sold all my half working and broken old cell phones the day I recieved my 8900 , so I will be completely without a communication device until Friday and hopefully not over the weekend!! HELP!! withdrawls suck.

I almost forgot..They will be replacing my phone for the 199.99 price, so I will not have to mail in my rebate. Now here is my question: I happened to notice that I seemed to have forgotten to add the mail-in rebate form with the 8900 that I shipped back today. Do you think I should still be able to use it on the new phone bringing the price down to 100?

How am I going to deal without a Blackberry let alone a phone until possibly next week! Hopefully if shipped out tomorrow, express shipping will get it here before the weekend.
    Last edited by icaro2000; 02-10-2009 at 10:02 PM.

m0bilechic no está en línea Stack level 1

Lower Build Quality

I feel like the quality of BlackBerry phones has gone down. If you check out my video comparing the 8120 and the 8220 (at youtube.com/watch?v=KDz4PZPc5bo), I mention about the battery cover that jiggles back and forth. Sounds like pretty much the same problem. What is RIM doing?

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    my 8900 was perfect. Sorry to hear this.

PIN/ID
    Ask me!
    Quote Originally Posted by hayden View Post

I thought the same thing, but then all the parts I mentioned loosened up within the first five days of gentle use (I babied this thing like it was an actual real baby). I am confident that there is a 'perfect' 8900 out there for me even if it means sending them back until I get a new one. Besides being without, I am happy to get the free add-ons. I love that CS hooked me up with the free special mini promotions to keep me happy and for compensating having to go with out a phone.

T-Mobile's customer service is some of the best I have dealt with when it comes to keeping their customers happy.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by hayden View Post
    I know this might sound stupid but it was the case for Bolds as well, yours hayden is a Rogers unit. 99% of them are flawless.

Texas512 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Why did you have to send it to them.. when I first got my bb 8820 and it wasnt working properly they sent me one then I put mine in the box and put the return sticker on it.. I was never without one.. And I think Myfaves is Free right now.. Either way I'm jealous you got hooked up!!

PIN/ID
    Ask me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas512 View Post
    Why did you have to send it to them.. when I first got my bb 8820 and it wasnt working properly they sent me one then I put mine in the box and put the return sticker on it.. I was never without one.. And I think Myfaves is Free right now.. Either way I'm jealous you got hooked up!!
    I guess because they put a 'lock' on all pre-release sales since they found out about all the 8900s that went out before the 11th. Also, today was the fourteenth day of ownership

The CSR told me in order to get a full refund and a new 8900 shipped (at the full upgrade price with free shipping), I would need to return the broken one today(the 14th day) and to call back with the tracking number to confirm I returned it with in the 14 day return period. I think that by getting unlimited MY Fave 5's for free, the downtime is somewhat worth the wait. Plus they gave me free express shipping and 1200 bonus minutes counted towards any monthly overtime minutes.

Texas512 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by icaro2000 View Post
    I guess because they put a 'lock' on all pre-release sales since they found out about all the 8900s that went out before the 11th. Also, today was the fourteenth day of ownership

The CSR told me in order to get a full refund and a new 8900 shipped (at the full upgrade price with free shipping), I would need to return the broken one today(the 14th day) and to call back with the tracking number to confirm I returned it with in the 14 day return period. I think that by getting unlimited MY Fave 5's for free, the downtime is somewhat worth the wait. Plus they gave me free express shipping and 1200 bonus minutes counted towards any monthly overtime minutes.
    Ahh got it.. Thats cool of them to hook it up like that.

SeRViiCiiO no está en línea Stack level 5
    my keyboard keys move as a whole too-- maybe i should have mentioned this before ad my 14 days gone by already... i dont find is defective tho.. just a little annoying from time to time
    Phone: T-Mo S4- Stock-Rooted

[Former]
    Device: T-Mobile S3
    Device: HTC Amaze 4G
    Device: HTC Vision (T-Mobile G2)
    Device: BlackBerry (9700, 8900,8320,8120,8100)

s4berry no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by SeRViiCiiO View Post
    my keyboard keys move as a whole too-- maybe i should have mentioned this before ad my 14 days gone by already... i dont find is defective tho.. just a little annoying from time to time
    Wow, mine moves too. Didn't notice it until I used two thumbs to move it. But I agree, doesn't seem like a defect (I hope).

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Its NOT a defect, its because all the keys are linked under the front cover of the phone therefore they follow you as your hovering your fingers when youre typing.
    Catch my drift ?

s4berry no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post
    Its NOT a defect, its because all the keys are linked under the front cover of the phone therefore they follow you as your hovering your fingers when youre typing.
    Catch my drift ?
    I understand. I know the keys buttons are just one big cover piece. But you'd figure the intergration would be a tighter fit. Or maybe it's designed that way for a reason. Just wanted to confirm mine moves too. I really didn't think it's a defect.

lacroixn no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    27FFB707
    I have noticed the same problems with my curve. Shifting keypad and loose battery cover all new to me as I replaced a Bold made in Canada. This curve is made in Mexico, will walk into a Tmo store and try their demo, if there are better builds will have my unit replaced.
    Dont sweat the small stuff, hell dont sweat anything!

PIN/ID
    Ask me!
    Basically, the same thing happened to me with the pearl 8120, I had to go through two units until I found one that was just about perfect. It was the tightest of the three but still had a loose battery cover.

I can live with loose battery covers, as long as the tape fix works well for it(which it has for me). But the see-saw effect from the side edges flexing upwards made typing and holding the 8900 feel like it was flexing in and out (kind of like an accordion). I did not mind the keyboard shifting, but after a couple of days it seemed to shift even more...I figured I might as well send it in for another while I can in case it gets worse after the first 14 days. Plus the shiny black surface between the keys appeared to be flexing in and out as well when using the keys. Every time I used my 8900 it would make random clicking or creaking noises throughout the whole casing, and when I pushed down on any given key it would make inconsistent clicking noises. All these different variables made me feel like it was not as tight as it should be. The 8900 just started to feel much cheaper than it initially did to me.

Hopefully the next one will be a better fit!

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    You do not have to send your other one back until you get the new one. I never send it back until the new unit is in my hands. They ship you the new unit the day you talk to them and you have 7-10 to send the old unit back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast