Hi, I have a problem. I just moved. Where I moved to doesn't have internet ... BlackBerry Curve forum

wyy183 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24AAA616

Selecting a network?

Advertisement

Hi,

I have a problem. I just moved. Where I moved to doesn't have internet (unless I want to do a satellite thing.)

I tethered my 8320 when using EDGE one day (not at home) and it worked acceptably. At home, I only have GPRS. I tethered and found I was only getting about 14.4K connection, which is unacceptable.

I'm on T-Mobile, and AT&T users (I work 2 miles from home) that I know all have EDGE connectivity.

Is there any way that I can FORCE my phone to use AT&T towers?

Thanks, in advance,
    David

nodnarb1974 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by wyy183 View Post
    Hi,

I have a problem. I just moved. Where I moved to doesn't have internet (unless I want to do a satellite thing.)

I tethered my 8320 when using EDGE one day (not at home) and it worked acceptably. At home, I only have GPRS. I tethered and found I was only getting about 14.4K connection, which is unacceptable.

I'm on T-Mobile, and AT&T users (I work 2 miles from home) that I know all have EDGE connectivity.

Is there any way that I can FORCE my phone to use AT&T towers?

Thanks, in advance,
    David
    From my past experience with Tmobile they won't allow you to roam while in your home network. You can manually search for other networks but when you try to connect it will only allow SOS calls. This is one reason I just switched to AT&T.

If you have had your Curve for a few months you can call Tmobile and ask them to unlock it. Just tell them that you are traveling out of the country and want to use a foreign sim while away. I did that and had mine unlocked the next day.

Good Luck

PIN/ID
    24AAA616
    Quote Originally Posted by nodnarb1974 View Post
    From my past experience with Tmobile they won't allow you to roam while in your home network. You can manually search for other networks but when you try to connect it will only allow SOS calls. This is one reason I just switched to AT&T.

If you have had your Curve for a few months you can call Tmobile and ask them to unlock it. Just tell them that you are traveling out of the country and want to use a foreign sim while away. I did that and had mine unlocked the next day.

Good Luck
    Thanks. I've had mine for nearly a year now and I'm good standing so I should be able to get it unlocked without any issue. After it is unlocked, will I be able to "select" which tower(s) I'm operating on?

Also, once it is unlocked, aside from being able to use other sim cards, what other benefits would I have?

Thanks!
    David

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    For clarification:
    Once a phone is unlocked, it simply means that you are then free to use that phone on another network such as AT&T _only if you are an AT&T customer_.

Thus if you have a BlackBerry that you bought from T-Mobile, & you get it unlocked, you may then sign up for AT&T service & use the BlackBerry.

You _do not_ have the ability to choose the tower you're on. Now with this said, it's been my experience that overall AT&T has the largest coverage area. I have accts with both T-Mo & AT&T, and I prefer AT&T, however that's just my experience while traveling all over the USA & the UK.

At the end of the day I cannot say enough good things about BlackBerry's.

sent via What? a BlackBerry! ....

(wap.pinstack.com)~

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Gee wyy,

It sounds like you moved to a place more remote than Arkansas where I am. We have similar situations in that my main account is with T-Mobile and I have GPRS service through them also. The only EDGE service I get is when I'm out of T-Mobile's area and roam on AT&T also...and that happens in quite a few places without me ever having to leave Little Rock.

All the info before this is correct in my experience and, as Archer said, you can NOT pick your towers. I also have an AT&T pre-paid account that I'm using to compare the coverages between the two and so far, AT&T wins on all counts. (Be aware that Archer and I are very far apart geographically and he evidently travels a LOT more than I do - AT&T still wins the coverage battle.)
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Sphynx no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24869D20
    That sounds like how it is when I visit my grandmother's house. She lives outside Oklahoma City, in a place where there is very little coverage with any network. Sprint got a little, T-Mobile gets better, AT&T probably gets the best, but you absolutley can not move if you dare to make a call. It will drop it in an instant.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by Sphynx View Post
    AT&T probably gets the best, but you absolutley can not move if you dare to make a call. It will drop it in an instant.
    I'm not defending AT&T, just commenting. This issue you describe in the "nature" of all cellular communications. It's possible at any given location to be in a small "zone" dead spot. I know a lot about this only because a good friend is a top executive at the leading company that actually engineers cell phone towers for the various carriers. It's a very fascinating phenom, which once again reminds me that a cell phone is only a radio and subject to the same RF issues that any other radio based device is.

Sphynx no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24869D20
    Oh, I wasn't saying it was just a AT&T thing I was just mentioning that's how crappy the service is out there; that goes for T-Mobile, Sprint etc. . . She has one little zone in her house; it's horrible when trying to get service!

Cell coverage IS a regional thing for sure...and for many companies. It just seems, and I'm sure that it's true, that some companies have better coverage in American than others. As I've said, what keeps my with T-Mobile is the better than average CS and the most competitive prices combined with almost no restrictions on what you can do with their phones.

At some point, the lack of coverage starts to "get in the way of" so many of the other good features.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

PIN/ID
    24AAA616
    Coverage is an issue here. I'm on the border of KY and TN, right off of I-65. T-Mobile and AT&T's towers are both in KY. I live and work in TN.

I upgraded to 4.5 the other day and having done so, I can now "select" which network that I want to use (changed from automatic to manual) and now I can use AT&T.... at times. It seems to work fine in the evening/night (non-peak hours.) During peak hours, if I select AT&T it goes to SOS on me.

This is all just too weird. Is there a way that I can find out if T-Mobile has plans to install EDGE on the local tower? Guess I need to just call them, huh?

David

Quote Originally Posted by wyy183 View Post
    ......................Is there a way that I can find out if T-Mobile has plans to install EDGE on the local tower? Guess I need to just call them, huh?

David
    Yeah, If they know...and if they'll tell you.

PIN/ID
    24AAA616
    This is all just too weird...I'm sending this from an AT&T tower using EDGE right now. Too bad it doesn't work all the time for me!
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~