But expensive. I spent hours last night here and elsewhere trying to figure out why ... BlackBerry Curve forum

galavanter no está en línea Stack level 3

SD Card Won't Format? Easy Fix...

Advertisement

But expensive.
    I spent hours last night here and elsewhere trying to figure out why my new Curve wouldn't format my just purchased Sandisk 4gb micro sdhc card.

This morning I went around the corner to the new T-Mobile corporate store and the rep seemed familiar with the problem. He said BB's were the only phone that did this in his experience. He also said that if I purchased a card from the store it would work because all their cards come preformatted. He said all phones and accessories are sent to a call center and tested.

I was skeptical but shelled out $90 for a Kingston 4gb (my Sandisk was $36 from Amazon). I put it in and it did not ask to be formatted, it just showed the available memory. Problem solved. When I got home and mounted it on my Mac a the disc image showed up named "No Name" and a Blackberry folder was inside with subfolders for Pictures, Music, etc.

I should add that the Kingston is an SD 4gb, not SDHC. Also, when the Sandisk failed to format in the Curve, I tried to put it in an SDHC reader and mount it on my Mac. It wouldn't show up. I surmise that when the BB fails to format the card, it also corrupts it in some way that makes it unreadable on the computer. Just a guess, I'm no expert.

I realize the card could have been bad to begin with, but I read many posts last night dealing with the same problem, unresolved by trying different cards, cards that worked in other devices.

I post because in all the threads I read last night, none suggested going to a T-Mobile Store and getting a preformatted card. I don't know if other providers preformat their cards. Hope this helps.

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Re: SD Card Won't Format? Easy Fix...

when you connect the SDHC to your Mac I understand it does not mount, since it is not formatted, but it does not show up in Disk Utility either? I just have a hard time believing that Tmobile has working ones but no one else can pull that same stunt.
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

galavanter no está en línea Stack level 3

Nope. I tried disk utility. It doesn't appear.

Like I said, I'm no expert, but a lot of people are experiencing the same problem. I don't have another device to check the Sandisk in, but it didn't appear in disk utility. I tried after I read it on a thread last night. I have always been able to format memory cards in the device itself.
    Not looking for converts, just sharing my experience after a very frustrating evening. Do you know how many times I seated and reseated the card and pulled the battery? You probably have an idea.
    Then this morning I walked over to T-Mobile, explained my problem, a young kid listened and confidently provided me with a solution. My kind of stuntman.

cyberspastic no está en línea Stack level 5

I had no trouble with a regular sandisk 4 gb on my curve. I just formatted it on my phone before using it. maybe you had a bum card? I'm glad you got one that worked.

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

That's what I was thinking, just a bad card. I would contact Amazon and work out an exchange just for the heck of it since you already paid for it. Then you might have 2 working 4gb cards.
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

b00st3d no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242557E5

i downloaded the panasonic sd formatter, and that fixed my micro sd after my curve whacked out my card!

just search for panasonic sd formatter in google.

TheRiddler no está en línea Stack level 5

I don't believe that your BB corrupted the card that way. What I think you experienced is exactly what happened to me...you got a bum card. I also purchased mine via Amazon. It may just be that the reason we got such a cheap price was that it was purchased out of a lower quality level batch of cards....just a guess though.

Anyhooo, I contacted Sandisk correctly and they walked me testing it via both the phone and the pc reader. I had already done this and told them but I am sure they wanted to have confirmation as to what I was or was not seeing. The end result is that they agreed the card was bad and gave me a prepaid shipping label to send it back to them. They are sending me a new one and I will let you know how it goes when it is received.