As you can see in the attached image, I have an 8900 with the seal ... BlackBerry Curve forum

jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne

Rubber seal around display

Advertisement

As you can see in the attached image, I have an 8900 with the seal at the left bottom of the screen coming out. Thats actually a "reconditioned" phone that replaced the one we bought that was replaced due to the button surrounding the trackball being cracked.

Anyway, ATT says that based on my description of the phone, its a damaged item and not covered under warranty. I do not agree with them, and explained that they should exchange under warranty. What do you guys think? The seal just started working its way out one day... we didnt do anything to it, but yet we may pay out the a$$ for it.

Anyone else seen this happen, or have advice on how to talk to the ATT guys so they cover it?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jzarowitz; 12-01-2009 at 11:11 AM.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784

Smile No worries

Quote Originally Posted by jzarowitz View Post
    As you can see in the attached image, I have an 8900 with the seal at the left bottom of the screen coming out. Thats actually a "reconditioned" phone that replaced the one we bought that was replaced due to the button surrounding the trackball being cracked.

Anyway, ATT says that based on my description of the phone, its a damaged item and not covered under warranty. I do not agree with them, and explained that they should exchange under warranty. What do you guys think? The seal just started working its way out one day... we didnt do anything to do, but yet we may pay out the a$$ for it.

Anyone else seen this happen, or have advice on how to talk to the ATT guys so they cover it?

Oh wow! I saw that a few times. That happens everytime an unexperienced person taking housings apart leaves lose ends here and there. This is a perfect example of a housing taken apart and the seal starts coming off.

Another explanation as to why this might be happening is due to the constant wiping of the phone as oil gets into the ridges of the screen the rubberized or glued thin tape starts pealing works its way outta the screen as shown above.

You can fix this yourself. I could walk you through it. There's nothing to it, really. I've fixed about 8 8900's that my friends had the same issue. Just be prepared to take the phone apart that's all .
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    Quote Originally Posted by raton View Post
    Oh wow! I saw that a few times. That happens everytime an unexperienced person taking housings apart leaves lose ends here and there. This is a perfect example of a housing taken apart and the seal starts coming off.

Another explanation as to why this might be happening is due to the constant wiping of the phone as oil gets into the ridges of the screen the rubberized or glued thin tape starts pealing works its way outta the screen as shown above.

You can fix this yourself. I could walk you through it. There's nothing to it, really. I've fixed about 8 8900's that my friends had the same issue. Just be prepared to take the phone apart that's all .

Great... so the guys who are reconditioning these things dont know what they are doing... love it. I am going to try pushing ATT again before I attempt to open it myself. I'll probably break the damn thing if I try to do it on my own anyway. The phone is my wife's and she does have a habit of getting makeup on it, which then needs to be wiped off... perhaps thats the culprit... either way, the normal use that we expose the device to should hang on better than this (its been with us for just 1 month).

Perhaps its good to know that others have had this issue too. I havent seen this in the 4-5 years I've been perusing these forums, but I am glad to know that others are lurking out there with similar issues.
    I'm a born again Androider

PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Quote Originally Posted by jzarowitz View Post
    Great... so the guys who are reconditioning these things dont know what they are doing... love it. I am going to try pushing ATT again before I attempt to open it myself. I'll probably break the damn thing if I try to do it on my own anyway. The phone is my wife's and she does have a habit of getting makeup on it, which then needs to be wiped off... perhaps thats the culprit... either way, the normal use that we expose the device to should hang on better than this (its been with us for just 1 month).

Perhaps its good to know that others have had this issue too. I havent seen this in the 4-5 years I've been perusing these forums, but I am glad to know that others are lurking out there with similar issues.

You're not the first . Ask AT&T to provide you with the listings to the local (not stores) centers where you can bring your device for repair; remember your device is under warranty for a year so don't take any lip from them and request for a listing for a center near you. I have a couple of center locations but in New Jersey which are about 15 minutes away from my house. Anyway, they must provide you with this information. It's an easy fix. Just take it to one of these locations and they'll sort it out

PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    If they try to tell you still that this is not covered tell them listen buddy, the do not open sticker on the back's still there and also the battery prons are not tampered with nor is the white square above the battery damaged so transfer me to the blackberry department. Tell them you have no other device you can use and you need to use this device now and need to have this fixed asap or do as I do and threaten to leave till they give you a new unit or device lol. Those reps can't pull anything on me.

PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    Replacement phone arrived, and old one sent back... thanks for your help amigos.
    I'm a born again Androider