Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I've had and read reports about problems with the apple extreme n router. I went ... BlackBerry Curve forum

dochobbs no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Router Recomendation

Advertisement

I've had and read reports about problems with the apple extreme n router. I went and got the free linksys from tmo today ($50-$50).

baerenator no está en línea Stack level 2

I had a Belkin N router and did everything to fix the W010 connection error (I had already covered everything the level 3 tech could think of including opening ports) bought the free linksys router and it set up the secured connection right off the bat, don't use the disk if you have a wireless configuration built in on the MoBo it will tell you that there isn't a wired connection, do it manually. The setup disk is a brainless POS. I used the MAC filter and had to do the secure setup 2X but it all works. This is why I paid off ATT so I can have a decent connection at home, I hope they choke on the iPhone.

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

Quote Originally Posted by aergern
    The only reason they said that is because most cordless phones run on 3, 5, or 6.

I still would make sure you've got no hoops such as firewalls in front of your phone and if you can specify how much upstream bandwidth the phone gets ..that's good as well.
    Ok cool, Thanks aergern!

PIN/ID
    3319688f

How is the tmobile linkysys router coverage and speed tho?

baerenator no está en línea Stack level 2

Actually the router is functioning better on my home system than the N router I had, I use Vonage too and no problems. Reception is the same as the N router was from what I can tell, I have an iPaq and I checked the signal with it too around the house and it was pretty much the same. I have the linksys version which I have heard is better than the D-Link. As far as the wired connections they are actually appear quicker throughput wise. So no complaints on this end, it was worth doing the work to get it free.

PIN/ID
    3319688f

I got the tmo linksys and everything is woking fine now

sergiofm no está en línea Stack level 1

hi folks,

I have a 2wire 2701HG router. Like one of the users above posted, I got my UMA to work only after disabling the firewall settings for the blackberry curve.

My question is, how safe is my device if I leave it this way? Do I have any alternatives? I could create a new application setting which would me to select a port range, etc, but I don't where to find these details.

Any help woudl be appreciated. Thanks.

rand0m no está en línea Stack level 3

i actually have a netgear wpn824v2 at my house.. works great w/o any issues with dropped calls or back reception at all..this is not at tmobile but, if you had to choose one from the, the linksys i heard is better!

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

Here is what I posted in the wifi section of this forum:
    "
    The only N router that is available today that is worth recommending is the D-Link Extreme DIR 655. It is the only router that will do both N (as a seperate connection) and others. From what I am finding it is the only one that can do N seperately. The others will downgrade the entire system to the slowest standard, so having N doesn't mean that you will get full N (they would be rolled back to G when the BB is connected tot he network, which if you are like me is whenever you are withini range). I have the Belkin as well and it is crap for use as a UMA router (as Belkin has locked down the firmware and given very few options to the end user).

Having said that, I tried the D-Link and the battery life on my device suffered. Others have had no problems, so maybe I didn't have it fully optimized. I thought it was just my device, but the wife's BB also saw the battery life take a hit to the tune of about half the battery life that we were used to the rest of the time prior to the new router. For right now, unless you need the extra N stuff for specific functionality, I would recommend a standard G and run the DD-WRT open firmware on the device. I just picked up a Buffalo WHR-HP-54G and the distance is outstanding (has a high power amp built in) and I have yet to update firmware or up the power output. The reviews on N just aren't that great as the standard is not yet finalized."

I'l add that I have 2 of the Buffalo routers and have them networked for seemless handoff and upped the power output on them. I constantly have signal throughout the house (and neighborhood) with full signal and great reception (usually in the -40dBm range). I have added the DD-WRT firmware and they are the greatest performers that I have had yet (blow away the Linksys T-Mo routers,and I have 2 of them as well just haven't loaded the DD-WRT firmware on them yet). The Belkin stuff is good for data but for Multimedia and VoIpI would avoid them like the plague (have had everyone but the N1-vision and the Pre-N was the best but they have next to no firmware upgrades available and when they do give upgrades the user loses more control as they lock out functions or make them unavailable to aide in the tech support end). I would highly recommend the Buffalo WGR-HP-54G if you can find it as they have a built in high power amplifier for greater coverage and they seem to connect and respond quicker than the other routers I have tried (for those wondering I have 8 at home right now from various G and N makes) and the N routers gain nothing as they all roll back to G when the curves are on them (which is all of the time I am home) as D-Link DIR-655 is the only one that allows the concurrent N and G (I am not couting the Belking POS, that also does concurrent, as there is absolutely no way to get a RELIABLE UMA signal through one of theirs, you get a signal and can make maybe 3-5 min call at max, most of miine were 10-25 seconds, before getting call failed disconnect).

I aslo found this on another site where Linksys supposedly recommend these settings on your router for better UMA calling (I have just put them into my routers so haven't fully tested them to be sure if there is any change for the better or worse):
    BEACON = 50

FRAGMENTATION THRESHOLD = 2304

RTS THRESHOLD = 2304

Hope this helps some people not have the problems as I have been working through them already (hey I somewhat enjoy the challenge).

rorycs no está en línea Stack level 1

Supposedly? Thanks for the vote of confidence...

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

What might work for you won't necessarily work for all, especially those not using Linksys routers as the signals may be processed differently by the different manufacturers CPU's (the T-Mo router uses a Broadcomm chip, whereas others Use Marvel, Intel, Atheros, etc..). I have had no problems using different settings on my router (and as was pointed out on other forums, the original from T-MO Linksys router uses different settings than recommmended to you, whay aren't they using these as defaults if these fix the problems??, and some posts you are stating to use channel 3 also. Depending if the Linksys tech did a site survey with you, these settings may be optomized for your area and ISP). Don't get me wrong as I have recently loaded and am trying these settings, but until I get more data a feedback, supposedly it is. This is the internet where anyone can post anything and without knowing their experience level and background, all can be suspect until proven. Tis the nature of an open forum, and what works for some may not work for all. You have never even stated what router you entered these into as the models make a difference due to the CPU manufacturers used by the parrticular manufacturer, not all Linksys use Broadcomm). Heck all of my posting although sound and technically backed could be nothing more than bunk, as no one knows me, but most of my theories have been proven and backed, but just cause they work for me doesn't mean they will work for all, that is why they are suggestions that may help and that is how I wirte them up.

Like I posted above people are claiming their N routers are working great with the device, but they are rolling back to G, so technically they are not using N routers, just G routers so where is the gain. Only a few N routers will maintain the N along with G and even those are not working fully as advertised, so in conclusion Supposedly it is.
    Last edited by squeakr; 12-03-2007 at 04:26 AM.

BBCurve87 no está en línea Stack level 1

i got my router from ATnT, everything is like automatic and it works great

rorycs no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by squeakr View Post
    What might work for you won't necessarily work for all, especially those not using Linksys routers as the signals may be processed differently by the different manufacturers CPU's (the T-Mo router uses a Broadcomm chip, whereas others Use Marvel, Intel, Atheros, etc..). I have had no problems using different settings on my router (and as was pointed out on other forums, the original from T-MO Linksys router uses different settings than recommmended to you, whay aren't they using these as defaults if these fix the problems??, and some posts you are stating to use channel 3 also. Depending if the Linksys tech did a site survey with you, these settings may be optomized for your area and ISP). Don't get me wrong as I have recently loaded and am trying these settings, but until I get more data a feedback, supposedly it is. This is the internet where anyone can post anything and without knowing their experience level and background, all can be suspect until proven. Tis the nature of an open forum, and what works for some may not work for all. You have never even stated what router you entered these into as the models make a difference due to the CPU manufacturers used by the parrticular manufacturer, not all Linksys use Broadcomm). Heck all of my posting although sound and technically backed could be nothing more than bunk, as no one knows me, but most of my theories have been proven and backed, but just cause they work for me doesn't mean they will work for all, that is why they are suggestions that may help and that is how I wirte them up.

Like I posted above people are claiming their N routers are working great with the device, but they are rolling back to G, so technically they are not using N routers, just G routers so where is the gain. Only a few N routers will maintain the N along with G and even those are not working fully as advertised, so in conclusion Supposedly it is.

Well Mr. Squeakr I certainly appreciate your comments. FYI, I have tried the following routers:

Linksys WRT54G v.2
    Linksys WRT54G v.8
    D-Link T-Mobile Branded
    Linksys WRT54G-TM T-Mobile Branded
    Netgear MIMO
    Buffalo
    D-Link DI-624

I think that that is a fair sample. In ALL cases, I had the IDENTICAL experience with each of the above listed routers. The audio (incoming and outgoing) would drop out after a random period of time (20 sec to 40 minutes) and then the call would drop. At that point, the phone would drop back into GSM service and have difficulty re-acquiring the Wi-Fi signal.

Both the D-Link and the Linksys T-Mobile routers were replaced TWICE as tech support suspected they were defective. When this did not solve the problem, the 8320 was then replaced under the impression that it was the problem. When that was not successful, the SIM was replaced as a last ditch attempt. When that did not work, I took a long shot gamble and spent 2 hours on the phone with Linksys Tech Support which resulted in the settings I have mentioned here and elsewhere.

I am completely AWARE that the settings that Linksys recommended are different than those that are the default in the T-Mobile branded routers. But the truth seems to be that they do work better, as is being reported in several different forums. It is actually funny, as I recieved a call today from T-Mobile Tech Support - apparently a rep has also made them aware of these posts and they wanted more information.

I am glad that this info has helped some ... and I hope that it can help many...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12