Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hey guys, just want to know, what is the best router out there for a ... BlackBerry Curve forum

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

Router Recomendation

Advertisement

Hey guys, just want to know, what is the best router out there for a WiFi Device such as the 8320, 8820. Something that has good coverage with faster speed. Because I'm using a Belkin Pre-N router, data is working fine, but when I place or receive a call, the call keeps breaking up, then my Wi-Fi UMA signal will drop to one bar. Your recommendations would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I know T-Mobile sells the linksys and dlink router but their coverage isn't that great.

krabme no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Router Recomendation

I think is best to stick with the Linksys and Dlink routers since the roms on these routers prioritize voice packets over regular data packets. A pre-N or a MIMO router will not work since the 8320 uses the plain b/g wifi. UMA is fairly new, you may want to try using one of the branded routers and buy the same branded repeater(s) and put the repeater(s) strategically in dead areas.

My 8320 is connected to a 2wire wifi home gateway on ATT 1.5 DSL and the signal and voice quality has been good throughout the house and in the backyard. I also live on the second level of the house; you also may want to reposition your router in the center and higher up as well.

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

the t-mobile dlink and linksys routers are the best way to go. now when it comes to which one to pickk out of those two, it really doesn't matter. they both do the same exact thing the same exact way its just preference. i have sold a lot more linksys routers than d-link. that seems to be the more popular choice

PIN/ID
    3319688f

Thanks guys! I'll def look into that

PIN/ID
    3319688f

Yea if i'm gonna have to pick one I'll pick linksys. And aren't you guys doing a $50 rebate right now on routers?

likefre no está en línea Stack level 4

I sent my rebate yesterday!...got the linksys.
    Took my old router(when I mean old I mean it: Microsoft mn-700 wireless router) to my office, hooked it up and it worked great!..wifi, UMA, I even think it has better reception than the linksys..but could me my home's layout.

jkai2188 no está en línea Stack level 5

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~if you use the linksys router though its better because its made to enhance your UMA signal

PIN/ID
    3319688f

I will pick it up today

PIN/ID
    3319688f

I wonder what's causing the choppiness tho.... interferance?

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

I use a linksys Wireless N gigabit router
    Works great
    N is (and pren should be) fully backwards compatable, so g and b should still work. I love mine. Cant tell the difference in the calls.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by flash24
    I wonder what's causing the choppiness tho.... interferance?
    Sure. If you live in a dense urban zone, there are probably several access points in the neighborhood. I use netstumbler to find the channels that are in use and select an open channel. Usually the default setting occupies channel 6 or 11.

Also, if you have 2.4 Ghz cordless phones in the house, the base stations and receviers can also interfere with the signal as well.

aergern no está en línea Stack level 3

I use my AT&T 2700HG-B Gateway and it works just fine. I did notice that once I disabled it's built in firewall (just for the BB) I got way better performance as far as UMA was concerned. It also seems that my browsing and email are speedier.

Remember that you have to cost out your bandwidth for your devices that connect to your router. What I mean is that you have to make sure your upstream bandwidth available to your phone is constant so that calls are smooth. If you have lots of devices in your house using your network then it can drown out your calls. I for example have 768k upstream and I noticed if my wife is syncing her site via Dreamweaver then my calls can get choppy or even drop. It's a drawback of VoIP and has to be addressed. I'm not sure but I would think the TMO routers cost bandwidth higher to it's mobile phones then to your Macs/PC's. That's just a guess.
    Last edited by aergern; 09-25-2007 at 06:53 PM.
    --
    Faith is the truth of passion.
    Since no passion is more true than another,
    faith is the truth of nothing.

PIN/ID
    3319688f

Quote Originally Posted by krabme
    Sure. If you live in a dense urban zone, there are probably several access points in the neighborhood. I use netstumbler to find the channels that are in use and select an open channel. Usually the default setting occupies channel 6 or 11.
    A Tmobile rep told me to use either Channel 1 or 11

aergern no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by flash24
    A Tmobile rep told me to use either Channel 1 or 11
    The only reason they said that is because most cordless phones run on 3, 5, or 6.

I still would make sure you've got no hoops such as firewalls in front of your phone and if you can specify how much upstream bandwidth the phone gets ..that's good as well.
    --
    Faith is the truth of passion.
    Since no passion is more true than another,
    faith is the truth of nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast