Hey folks, Gotta question. My wife and I both upgraded recently from a couple of ... BlackBerry Curve forum

captain_tinker no está en línea Stack level 2

Repurposing an old 8300 Curve?

Advertisement

Hey folks,
    Gotta question. My wife and I both upgraded recently from a couple of refurb 8300's to some brand new Bold 9000's and we love it! Now we have a couple of old 8300's sitting in the closet, unused. I had an idea the other day, why not find some way to repurpose them, and maybe make them useful for my two kids? Here's what I'm thinking... My two kids are still very young, so they don't need a phone - or a texting device or anything... What they would be more interested in is something that they can watch little videos on or music or look at pictures with while in the car on trips etc. A media device in other words. I figured that there could be a few ways to accomplish this.

First idea, just create a theme to put on that hides all the other functionalities of the phone except for the media functions, and make it able to access the media card etc. Probably the easiest way to do this, but the problem is my kids are smart and would figure out pretty quickly how to un-hide things and get into stuff they don't need. There wouldn't be a SIM card in the unit, so they couldn't call anyone except 911, and we don't need that...

Second idea, why not see if there has been anyone out there enterprising enough to create a completely new (non-blackberry) OS for the unit that specifically does nothing but turn it into a high tech media player unit, without any phone or communication stuff, except maybe if the phone had wi-fi or Bluetooth or something, it may be able to use that somehow, maybe for web browsing or Pandora or for using bluetooth stereo headsets or something.

This would ONLY be for using on older, no longer being used as phones, units. So it could be a linux based OS, or something completely different. Maybe even just a very stripped down Blackberry OS, maybe using Shrink-a-OS or BB Master Control Program or BBSAK or something to strip it down...? I really haven't used those programs much yet, so I'm still fairly unfamiliar with them, but if that would be a good way to accomplish what I'm thinking about, maybe i'll try it?

Anyone have any cool ideas, or suggestions, or would like to try putting together an OS to try on it? Thanks!

-capT

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    I would give them something other than a used BlackBerry. I have 3 young nieces (8, 6 and 3) and the older 2 will have Nintendo DSi's by Christmas to play games on (the 8 yr old already has one. The 6 yr old will get hers for Christmas). If they want movies, music, tv shows, etc. I would honestly give them an iPod Touch.

captain_tinker no está en línea Stack level 2
    I would not want it to play games. I am against nintendo's etc, and will not have them in the house. I am also not planning on an iPod or anything, trying to save money you know... My kids are ages 4 and 6, so it would be more for just keeping them busy in the car on longer trips more than any really serious stuff. Besides, I hate seeing a good piece of hardware go to waste sitting in a closet. My kids are already familiar with the interface, and can move the trackball around and click on things, I figured keep it simple with what they already know. Any other stuff can be for years down the road when they can afford it themselves.

-capT

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    I was just suggesting those, along with the PSP, because you said you don't want them making phone calls, texting, etc even with a SIM card not in the phone. Those can use movies, etc. Oh well.