**EDIT** -- I replaced the housing with the Blue Sapphire shell. See below. Hey stackers. ... BlackBerry Curve forum

liquidsense no está en línea Stack level 2

Sapphire Blue - Replacement Housing

Advertisement

**EDIT** -- I replaced the housing with the Blue Sapphire shell. See below.

Hey stackers. I recently purchased a "full housing with keyboard" from cnn.cn. (I am still waiting for it to come through in the mail). I have disassembled my Curve 8310 for other reasons, and I disassembled it again today, to make sure that I was familiar with all the parts and the procedure.

The link to the housing is here:
    http://cnn.cn/shop/blackberry-curve-...ng-p-3304.html

My question is as follows: Does the main back portion of the housing from cnn.cn come with all of the electrical parts attached? Or wil I have to detach all of the pieces from the old housing and transfer them? For example, the back portion of the housing contains the antenna, speaker attachment, battery connector pieces, etc, etc. Based on the picture, it appears that it does NOT come with those pieces. But does it also not come with the foam near the top?

Has anyone purchased it before?
    Last edited by liquidsense; 09-03-2008 at 08:05 PM.

micjenks no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    I have not purchased that specific housing since I am a pearl user but if you purchase a housing it is just that. A shell, you will have to replace the guts of your phone into the new housing.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Hi, sometimes it takes about 1 1/2 weeks in order to get the parts you've ordered after placing the order. The electronic parts that you mention does not come in the housing. The only thing that i comes with is the led indicator at the top right of the front place. It also brings the side volume/camera buttons(silver in color) after taking out your assembly you'd have to transfer the whole thing but the bulk between the faceplate/battery cover i would advise you to leave alone if it's in good condition because one false movement and the whole thing could get ruined. Here are some pictures from one of my old housing I ordered from cnn. Good luck
    Attached Images Attached Images

Denisenicole no está en línea Stack level 3
    I'm going off topic right now but I have a friend that's interested in purchasing a few old housings in order to experiment with custom painting. If any of you're interested in contributing or selling your housing then drop me a pm. Thx

Quote Originally Posted by raton View Post
    Hi, sometimes it takes about 1 1/2 weeks in order to get the parts you've ordered after placing the order. The electronic parts that you mention does not come in the housing. The only thing that i comes with is the led indicator at the top right of the front place. It also brings the side volume/camera buttons(silver in color) after taking out your assembly you'd have to transfer the whole thing but the bulk between the faceplate/battery cover i would advise you to leave alone if it's in good condition because one false movement and the whole thing could get ruined. Here are some pictures from one of my old housing I ordered from cnn. Good luck

So, did you not switch your midplate? I think the piece we are referring to is called the midplate. The midplate is the bulk of the housing, which provides the primary structure, but also contains all of those little electronic pieces (e.g., antenna, battery leads/prongs, etc).

If I'm understanding you correctly, you are advising not to exchange the midplate if it is in good condition, right?

Unfortunately, I think I will have to attempt to switch out the midplate because mine is all damaged where the GPS label is (the top piece). I'm just afraid that I might mess it up, considering all of the strange little pieces everywhere. For example, under the foam adhesive, there is some strange black sticker-like piece that seems to have some very small wires in it. I have no idea what that is.

Anyway, I purchased modeling adhesive and 1mm foam to replace all the foam throughout the phone. I'll report back on my success/failure.

PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Yes, we're talking about the same part. I have seen it done on youtube before but it's very scary. I wish you the best of luck though I hope your bb looks great after you're done and of course fully functional. Be careful with the piece that allows you to talk at the bottom of the midplate. I remember i did the switch one on my old 8100 and when making calls i could hear the person but they didn't hear me lol that's because i had forgotten to place that part back on the bb and then i found it on the living room floor *plop* so be very careful when taking apart your bb be sure to trace back your steps.

ooooh and let me know how that new color works out for you post pics I was gonna get it but i have the black faceplate with the silver wrapped around it so it's a Black/Silver curve ...not painted i bought the parts from cnn as well cannot afford to ruin my bb with the paint. I wanna see how this new color looks on a bb get back to us with the pics you can see mine here http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...t=80245&page=2
    Last edited by raton; 08-30-2008 at 07:26 PM.

I sure will. I opted for the expedited 4-day shipping; so, hopefully I will have it by midweek next week.

So, I replaced the housing on my 8310 with the Blue Sapphire housing last night. My midplate had extensive damage (near the GPS symbol) and so, I need to swap the midplate out too.

Transferring all the circuitry and parts from the original midplate to the new midplate was one of the most painstaking things I've ever endured (in this context). It took about 3 hours of work, contained about 25 pieces, and required using adhesive, tweezers, tools, and a lot of patience.

Many pieces were secured by small plastic posts, which were then melted to secure them in tight. I had to cut off the knobs, take the piece out, put down glue on the new piece, then a small foam sticker, then the piece, then using a hot piece of metal, melt the knobs down to secure the pieces.

The GPS antenna and regular antenna were also difficult to manage. And the foam inserts were also a pain. There are many small pads and foam pieces that you probably would not recognize without very close inspection. The speaker, for example, had a plastic ring/well piece, a foam ring sticker, an adhesive screen piece, and the speaker unit itself.

The most difficult parts were the pieces associated with the charging pads that flank the battery door button. They consist of extremely fragile pieces of metal. The process would have been much faster if I had one of those articulating illuminated magnifying glasses.

Anyway, here are some pictures:

The melted knobs I was referring to:

The fragile charger leads (one just above the 4 battery lead prongs, and one to the left):

Finished product:

Last edited by liquidsense; 09-03-2008 at 03:42 PM.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Nice work, LiquidSense! Congrats on what looks like a job well done!

You're a better man than I for having the patience to mess with something like that.

More power to ya!

Roger

Denisenicole no está en línea Stack level 3
    That's one hot looking berry

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    very nice!
    i broke off one of the prongs to the sides trying to get it out the first time, not knowing it was screwed at the bottom too. i am waiting for cnn to get the parts for BOTH sides (the convenience keys) before i order new parts. i also need a new keyboard. ever since i got it back from colorware, it seems the convenience keys don't sit right and the keyboard sticks in places. so hopefully the replacement parts fix those annoying issues.

love the midnight blue. i wish we could just order housings made in all different colors. someone needs to get on the wagon and start making them

PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Holy cow! That looks very dang nice liquidsense. I'm jealous now . Very happy for you

I would advise against replacing the midplate unless it is absolutely necessary. Not only did it take an inordinately long time, it was stressful. Ultimately, I broke one of the two gold-colored metal plates that flank the battery door button. As noted in my previous post, it is made from extremely fragile metal. You need to bend the metal straight to get it out of its place, and once you bend it, it becomes extremely brittle. I was still able to fit it into place, but it is missing a tiny arm that connects it to the main board on the inside.

That piece is only important if you using a charging cradle....which I do!! Anyway, I've been looking on ebay for Curve for parts, for which I only need that tiny-*** little piece of metal.

If anyone has that little fleck of metal and would like to sell it to me, please let me know!!