Okay, So I work for the Australian Defence Force (yes, I know my profile hasn't ... BlackBerry Curve forum

CybaCowboy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21445DCA

Rear Cover WITHOUT Camera Hole?

Advertisement

Okay,

So I work for the Australian Defence Force (yes, I know my profile hasn't been updated!) and in the next few weeks they will be shipping me out to a secure base...

Now I'm allowed a phone, as long as it doesn't have a camera - this leaves two obvious options, buy a BlackBerry WITHOUT a camera, or use my camera-free Sony Ericsson M600i (not preferable - it has an almost-identical setup to SureType, which I hate with a passion).

I was thinking though, that if I can get a replacement rear cover that does NOT have the hole for the camera, I should be able to quietly get around it...

Does such a thing exist and if so, where can I get it from?

lew2 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by CybaCowboy View Post
    I work for the Australian Defence Force [...] shipping me out to a secure base...

[...]

I was thinking though, that if I can get a replacement rear cover that does NOT have the hole for the camera, I should be able to quietly get around it...

To answer the question asked, no I've not seen such a thing available.

To answer the question not asked, do you really think this is a smart idea? Military security folks tend not to have a sense of humor and I'm not sure this is an area where "whoops, I'm sorry" would really do much to get you out of a jam?

silviajdm no está en línea Stack level 3
    I've seen that question asked before and half of the time they are forced to buy a cameraless blackberry. I don't really see aftermarket covers that will fix that, but I could be wrong. I guess if you buy a replacement cover and modify it yourself would be an option as well.

Someone else told me that in some places they ask to physically inspect the phone so if they do find the camera they might deny you. But like I said, I could be wrong. If all else fails....check ebay for that particular cover.

OzzieDog no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by CybaCowboy View Post
    Okay,

So I work for the Australian Defence Force (yes, I know my profile hasn't been updated!) and in the next few weeks they will be shipping me out to a secure base...

Now I'm allowed a phone, as long as it doesn't have a camera - this leaves two obvious options, buy a BlackBerry WITHOUT a camera, or use my camera-free Sony Ericsson M600i (not preferable - it has an almost-identical setup to SureType, which I hate with a passion).

Like the others I have not seen one that would cover the camera hole.
    And if true that you are going to secure location and or in a security field, way would you even post that information? With technology as it is today would they not know who is asking?
    It was always my understanding that no person would imply or infer that they worked for any "security" field.
    Just my two cents

seattlepolis no está en línea Stack level 2
    I have friends who do installation work at the house of a very wealthy redmond based gazillionaire. The security is insane (background checks, nobody who has a concealed weapons permit can enter [which is like half of WA], etc). One of the no-no's is camera phones. Camera covers, disabling the camera, is still not acceptable.
    Why even make it an issue? I'd just get the 8820.

PittsDriver no está en línea Stack level 3
    I heard talks of Seido doing one. Might want to check with them.

CrazEtooN no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    245FA336
    Quote Originally Posted by seattlepolis View Post
    I have friends who do installation work at the house of a very wealthy redmond based gazillionaire. The security is insane (background checks, nobody who has a concealed weapons permit can enter [which is like half of WA], etc). One of the no-no's is camera phones. Camera covers, disabling the camera, is still not acceptable.
    That's funny. Due to the background checks and stuff involved with just getting a concealed weapons permit, you'd think that would be a plus for the person.

Anyway, the cover idea just won't work. Government security is no joke and when they say no camera, they mean no camera. They will inspect the device and when they find the camera, they may outright confiscate it. There is also the fact that hiding it never looks good. In other words, passing off a camera phone as a non camera phone may very well make you look suspicious and could cause you more problem than you really need.

I say get a new, camera-less BB; or use one of the other devices you have if the stay in high security is temporary.

Kyo0tdemon no está en línea Stack level 5
    I don't know if this will work or not, but can't you just tape the back of your bb with black electrical tape or something and then put a black skin on it? That way, everything is black. For you to use the camera, you would actually have to take off the skin and then take off the battery cover. It's just a suggestion though..

PIN/ID
    21445DCA
    Quote Originally Posted by silviajdm View Post
    Someone else told me that in some places they ask to physically inspect the phone so if they do find the camera they might deny you. But like I said, I could be wrong.
    Yeah, since I started this thread someone told me that they randomly inspect electronic devices, and also devices that they are suspicious of...

Quote Originally Posted by OzzieDog View Post
    And if true that you are going to secure location and or in a security field, way would you even post that information? With technology as it is today would they not know who is asking?
    It was always my understanding that no person would imply or infer that they worked for any "security" field.
    Just my two cents
    Hence the reason specific details of where or why I am going were not offered...

Quote Originally Posted by seattlepolis View Post
    We don't have the "8820" here, but we DO have a BlackBerry without a camera... The BlackBerry 8800 I think it is.

It's old and thus difficult to get a hold of new, plus I prefer the keypad on my BlackBerry Curve 8300...

Quote Originally Posted by CrazEtooN View Post
    Anyway, the cover idea just won't work. Government security is no joke and when they say no camera, they mean no camera. They will inspect the device and when they find the camera, they may outright confiscate it. There is also the fact that hiding it never looks good. In other words, passing off a camera phone as a non camera phone may very well make you look suspicious and could cause you more problem than you really need.
    You have some very good points here - enough to convince me to look at alternative options...

Quote Originally Posted by CrazEtooN View Post
    I say get a new, camera-less BB; or use one of the other devices you have if the stay in high security is temporary.
    This is what I'm leaning towards, but how much effort is it to switch back and forth between BlackBerry devices?

I understand that my data is unlikely to copy over to the new device under a BlackBerry Individual Solution (BIS), but how will changing back-and-forth between BlackBerry devices affect my e-mail services?

Admitedly, I won't REGULARLY be switching back-and-forth, it'll be every couple of months if I was to get a second device, but I'd still like to know how it would affect my e-mail services...

Worse-case scenario, I would consider switching to a camera-free BlackBerry (the BlackBerry 8800?) full-time, if it offers similar or the same functionality as my BlackBerry Curve 8300.

Is anyone aware of any camera-free BlackBerry devices that are likely to become available in the near or immediate future?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

OzzieDog no está en línea Stack level 3
    Since you don't have the 8820 available, try the 8700.

PIN/ID
    21445DCA
    There's the BlackBerry 8707g available locally (one of the few, if not the only, 3G/UMTS devices RIM has released to date), but I can tell you from first-hand experience that they're virtually impossible to get a hold of new because they're so old - I spent an entire month trying to find one!

There are a few still around interstate, but you'd have to be pretty desperate.

By the way, I found out that the camera-free model I am thinking of is in fact the BlackBerry 8800, so this likely what I will end up buying (they're old, but more widely available than the BlackBerry 8707g, plus they're officially available from my service provider).

thechadj no está en línea Stack level 4
    I understand that my data is unlikely to copy over to the new device under a BlackBerry Individual Solution (BIS), but how will changing back-and-forth between BlackBerry devices affect my e-mail services?

From what I understand and feel from my service provider (hopefully most have similar protocol) the transfer would be virtually seamless. And with the help of BBDM transferring your information from one device to another should be a snap too!

Best of luck

regards
    cHAd

Kyo0tdemon no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by thechadj View Post

From what I understand and feel from my service provider (hopefully most have similar protocol) the transfer would be virtually seamless. And with the help of BBDM transferring your information from one device to another should be a snap too!

Best of luck

regards
    cHAd

You will have to keep on resending your host routing table and redo your bis. Basically, you will need to reregister your device each and everytime you switch from one bb to the other.

PIN/ID
    21445DCA
    Quote Originally Posted by thechadj View Post
    And with the help of BBDM transferring your information from one device to another should be a snap too!
    I don't own a (working) computer at the moment. :-(

One of these days I'll get around to replacing it, but I haven't bothered to date because I've got Internet/e-mail access on my BlackBerry, and advanced productivity on my Microsoft Windows Mobile: Professional 6-based Pocket PC, using Microsoft Office Mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyo0tdemon View Post
    You will have to keep on resending your host routing table and redo your bis. Basically, you will need to reregister your device each and everytime you switch from one bb to the other.
    Damn.

I was hoping you wouldn't say that...