Hi, All, I mainly wanted to thank you all for the tons of good info ... BlackBerry Curve forum

webstarr no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs up Re-incarnated 8310

Advertisement

Hi, All,
    I mainly wanted to thank you all for the tons of good info you have amassed here, and relate my experiences with bringing a "broken" 8310 back to life.

I bought the phone cheaply from ebay knowing it was missing a trackball and that it had issues powering on; based on my research here and on similar sites, I expected i would need to re-install the OS. When it arrived, I flexed it laterally (wrung it's neck) a bit and popped a battery in it. Result, I got the slashed battery icon. (That one was the X-c2 battery, green, from my 8800). Then I put in the blue battery and it booted right up!

Next issue was adding a trackball - i swapped in the trackball from my 8800 to see if there was any issue, and immediately realised that while the cursor moved correctly, there was no select when pushing the trackball. A quick visual comparison between the two phones with the trackball out told me that something was different. The curve's trackball contact pad was missing. So, i ordered a new trackball assembly and a contact pad, reassembled the 8800, and waited.

Once parts arrived, i put the pad in place on the circuit board, dropped in the trackball, and secured it with the trim ring.
    Everything works, for the most part...now i need to unlock it!
    Ordered an unlock code, followed the instructions, and "Presto-chango" i have a working, useful phone!

I then used the Desktop manager (the new one) and transferred settings from my wifes's 8700 to the Curve. The transfer went effortlessly! Thanks RIM!

So, now I have a couple of questions for the group:
    1 - The trackball select (push -click) seems a bit tempermental; I readjusted the position of the pad once, and that improved it some, but I do not want to push my luck with the adhesive and have a loose pad - can I add a layer of tape or something over the contact pad to help out in assuring the trackball push actually clicks first time, every time?

2 - Right now, the phone will vibrate when receiving a call, but it will not ring. I think that the default ringtone somehow got erased. It will make alarm sounds and play the tones from the ringtone list, but not when a call comes in. I believe if I go deep enough into the profile settings I'll find the issue, but I wanted to know if anyone else encountered this quirk when working on a Curve?
    All advise and comments are welcome!
    This is a great site!

shawnvictor no está en línea Stack level 2
    This will help you for question # 2

You can restore back the ringtones with JL Commander without reinstalling your BlackBerry OS

I will give explanation how to doing this, fyi im using win XP and gonna restore default ringtones
    on BlackBerry 8310 with OS 4.5.0.153 ( This is just example you can do in another version OS and
    different type of BlackBerry too )

1. You must Have JL_Cmder installed on your pc

2. Copy net_rim_bb_medialoader_sonic_networks.cod to C:\Program Files\JL_Cmder
    – You can get net_rim_bb_medialoader_sonic_networks.cod file from
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8310-v4.5.0.153_P2.7.0.105\Java
    which is it depends on your BB type and OS, it can be
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\BBTYPE-BBOS\Java
    or just open C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\ and see what file folder reside in it, that is your blackberry loader files, and then browse to Java directory inside your BlackBerry OS files
    - Usually this folder will appear if you had installed BlackBerry OS in your pc[/FONT]
    example : I download http://blackberry.bosen.net/83xx/831...A4.5.0.124.exe
    and install it in my pc, so I will get that directory above.
    If you hadnt install BlackBerry OS in your pc you wont have directory
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\

3. Install net_rim_bb_medialoader_sonic_networks.cod using JL Commander, the command will be like this:

JavaLoader.exe -usb load net_rim_bb_medialoader_sonic_networks.cod
    example : C:\Program Files\JL_Cmder>JavaLoader.exe -usb load net_rim_bb_medialoader_sonic_networks.cod

RIM Wireless Handheld Java Loader
    Copyright 2001-2008 Research In Motion Limited
    Connected
    Loading net_rim_bb_medialoader_sonic_networksDone
    268312 bytes sent at ~715498 bps
    Disconnected
    C:\Program Files\JL_Cmder>

4. Disconnect and QuickPull / restart your BlackBerry

I hope this works for you..
    Last edited by RogerG; 08-04-2009 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Fixed formatting......

webstarr no está en línea Stack level 1
    Thanks, Shawnvictor!

loujustice no está en línea Stack level 1
    Hey guys... can anyone tell me where to download the JavaLoader.exe please???

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    You will find a thread in the Technical Support Blog link in my signature dedicated to the use of jl_cmndr as well as instructions for downloading and installing.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Here you go......