Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So, I recently got my 8900 and no surprise with my abusing habits of the ... BlackBerry Curve forum

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784

Lightbulb Raton's 8900's trackball not cooperating :(

Advertisement

So, I recently got my 8900 and no surprise with my abusing habits of the trackball; it has already started acting up . The trackball won't push in. I think after pressing so many darn times on the darn thing it stayed pressed lol. I can scroll and select with no issues but it's a bit sensitive now. I have a spare G1 trackball and was thinking about replacing the one I currently have. Now, the question is would it fit and second is has anyone attempted to change the trackball on a 8900 yet here at the stacks? I know there are tutorials out there but I'm just curious to find out how difficult it was. I remember on my previous 8310 i was able to replace the trackball in literally 10 seconds. I guess this would be a tremendous task now that this is a new device and the videos on this seem to be as difficult as heck . Please let me know and thank you for reading...end of yap!
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

luciferseamus no está en línea Device Pro
    ah man! that sux raton!
    sorry still on the 8330 so I can't help much just wanted to wish you luck!
    "If you ever lose your keys in a river of molten lava, let 'em go, cus' man, they're gone!!"-Jack Handey

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    That's one reason I'm shying away from the newer BBs....I like how easy it is to swap trackballs in the older devices. Haven't you modded out some of your old berries? Swapped housings etc....if you have then I would imagine you can handle this.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    That's one reason I'm shying away from the newer BBs....I like how easy it is to swap trackballs in the older devices. Haven't you modded out some of your old berries? Swapped housings etc....if you have then I would imagine you can handle this.

Yes, I have. But I guess you could say I'm still on a honeymoon with my new bb and would hate to cause any pain to it . I love my bb and if I am going to do some modding which in this case is needed I would change something else as well such as the bezel to all black or keypad to the red one. I figure since I'm gonna operate might as well revamp the whole thing . I'll keep you posted though. I still wanna hear from people who've done this though to overcome my hastiness.

camshafter no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask
    well, i just got my 8900 and mine started messing up also. i guess the track ball issue is pretty common on the 8900 from what i read at crackberry and Pinstack.over at crackberry there is a STICKY with the video, i was pretty scared to do mine as well being new and all but i did it and it was a G1 all black track ball..it took about 10 minutes..as i was super careful but it went well and the track ball looks awesome being all black, oh, you will need a T5 pr T6 screw driver..sorry cant remember which one and this plastic tool to remove bottom panel, which i got on ebay for 3.00 dollars, they show all this in the video.

you can do it

camshafter

luciferseamus no está en línea Device Pro
    raton you got this man!!
    you've delved deeper into the guts of your BB then I have ever cared to...
    you'll bee alright man! I say GO FOR IT!! YOU CAN DO IT!
    "If you ever lose your keys in a river of molten lava, let 'em go, cus' man, they're gone!!"-Jack Handey

PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    ^^LMBO!!! I'll see if I can attempt to do so Luc. I might start ordering different parts for it since I'm gonna mod it . I might as well go all out and get the red keypad though I kinda don't like it cuz my girl has the tmobile version and eh not too fond of it; maybe a black bezel or paint the whole thing...Just kidding. you don't wanna see me whining again about my horrible experience with 8310 lol

somestone no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by raton View Post
    Yes, I have. But I guess you could say I'm still on a honeymoon with my new bb and would hate to cause any pain to it . I love my bb and if I am going to do some modding which in this case is needed I would change something else as well such as the bezel to all black or keypad to the red one. I figure since I'm gonna operate might as well revamp the whole thing . I'll keep you posted though. I still wanna hear from people who've done this though to overcome my hastiness.
    lol honeymooning

somestone no está en línea Stack level 2
    well hopefully is just the ball and not the sensor

Breezy279 no está en línea Stack level 2
    I have completely dissasembled and reassembled my 8900 and it was very easy and didnt reck the honeymoon!
    I'm sure you will have no problems!
    8900 with the stock OS ;)
    T-Mobile

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Ouch Raton! I JUST went through this last week. Had to replace my 14 month old 8120 due to the same problem. I tried 2 software reloads, rolling around the trackball and pushing it in without the battery in. Nothing worked. Plus I'm too scared to take apart a phone LOL

PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    I would give anything to have your problem with your 8100. Those I can replace as mentioned above in literally "10 seconds"

fatsoomeed no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24AA7EFA
    i changed my trackball a while back as well, its not that hard i just youtubed a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f39y-x3YkG0

follow those instructions up to about a minute twenty seconds and you'll be golden
    the only part you do NOT need to do is disconnect the antenna wire,
    also i recommend keeping that warranty sticker thats on the top left corner screw on the back,
    i threw mine out before i knew it was the warranty sticker, oh well im on the stacks for a reason yeah?
    haha good luck if you have any questions free to bbm or pin me
    pin's in my sig.
    Titanium 8900
    PIN: 24AA7EFA

Past Devices:
    8100, 8800, 8320

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    I think this is a good video to watch.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WBwvqFm...ient=mv-google
    BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100

ssnxp no está en línea Device Pro
    I wrote a little tutorial a while back with pictures detailing how to take apart a 8900. It might be a little over kill as it was written for the purpose of housing swaps, but I'll dig it up if you'd like. My trackball was also acting up today (got this 8900 less than a week ago) so I was freaking out a bit.
    -Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast