Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BlackBerry Curve 8320 - Phone Reviews by Mobile Tech Review 8320 vs 8120 Comparing these ... BlackBerry Curve forum

uberspeed no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24aa4e29

RAM? 8320 vs 8120

Advertisement

BlackBerry Curve 8320 - Phone Reviews by Mobile Tech Review
    8320 vs 8120
    Comparing these two phones and still finding inconsistencies and/or missions of data on various sites (mobiletechreview, pcmag, bgr, here, etc). Some sites list 8320 with 32Mb, most omit, some list 8120 with 16MB I believe I saw?
    I have seen pretty consistently that the Flash is 64MB on both and the processor 312MHz.
    Can anyone verify please?
    TIA

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28
    it has 64mbs of internal memory and the processor's are the same. however whe you load the software preloaded media,etc it will range as little as16mbs-32mbs. it's different per device
    The BlackBerry Guru

[x] My Minds Eye - Life Behind The Lens Of A BlackBerry
    [x] Pinstack Blog
    [x] Twitter

PIN/ID
    24aa4e29
    I see now, the 64MB is used for storage of the apps and for RAM also, like a pagefile or swap file in various OS'es as I understand it now. Am I correct?

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157
    That's pretty much it, both should have 64MB total. Then the OS and everything else starts taking away from the 64.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    24aa4e29
    So other than form factor, screen size and suretype vs qwerty it's the same device; that said comparing the 8120 and 8320...

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by uberspeed View Post
    I see now, the 64MB is used for storage of the apps and for RAM also, like a pagefile or swap file in various OS'es as I understand it now. Am I correct?
    Not quite. There is 32 MB of dedicated (volatile) RAM on the 8320. Some of the internal flash can be used as a flash cache. I don't know how much is on the 8120, though.

PIN/ID
    24aa4e29
    Quote Originally Posted by Thyth View Post
    Not quite. There is 32 MB of dedicated (volatile) RAM on the 8320. Some of the internal flash can be used as a flash cache. I don't know how much is on the 8120, though.
    Dangit, that's exactly what I'm trying to find out. Comparing the 8320 to 8120 to see which I and the wife get...
    I'm leaning towards 8320 she towards the 8120 but I can't come up with any hard facts to sway her, RAM would definitely be one!

While I'm not certain, I expect it is the same. The 8120 and 8320 are similar as far as internal computing architecture, as evidenced by the similar capabilities in the operating systems, and similar device performance.

PIN/ID
    24aa4e29
    I'm into specifics, trying to track this down has been painful. Almost everywhere I read it states they both have 64MB Flash and that's it, no separate RAM, but http://www.mobiletechreview.com/phon...Curve-8320.htm shows separate RAM. I want to make sure I get my wife the right phone, not something "inferior" in terms of horsepower, so to speak.

Then I'd recommend tracking down a store that would have both models and get a feel for their responsiveness and speed. The amount of RAM should be the same for all 8xxx series phones, except the 87xx series, which is previous generation and, I believe, had 16 MB.

But, if you're so concerned about how a potential device might perform, I think time is better spent trying the device, rather than locating exact numerical specifications. Most of the internal device specifications are impossible to find outside of RIM, and what I know about the low-level device operations comes from limited reverse engineering of the OS software and looking at device PCBs.

mattdiano no está en línea Stack level 1
    I have a Curve (8320) and bougth my wife the Pearl (8120) as she wanted a smaller phone. I have been able to perform all the same upgrades and app downloads on both phones, and I do not see a noticable difference in the performance of the Pearl, and I use them both. Not a fan of the suretype keyboard, and I absolutely LOVE my Curve, esp with the new 4.5 OS on it!! If price or size is a factor, roll with the Pearl, if not, then get the Curve. JMO

letstlk70 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    215B2775
    I think the curve is the best. But its just my opinion. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by uberspeed View Post
    I'm into specifics, trying to track this down has been painful. Almost everywhere I read it states they both have 64MB Flash and that's it, no separate RAM, but http://www.mobiletechreview.com/phon...Curve-8320.htm shows separate RAM. I want to make sure I get my wife the right phone, not something "inferior" in terms of horsepower, so to speak.
    You might want to send a PM to kieranwest, one of the experts here on the board. He seems to have knowledge of such internal specs and might be able to answer this question for you.

PIN/ID
    24aa4e29
    Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    You might want to send a PM to kieranwest, one of the experts here on the board. He seems to have knowledge of such internal specs and might be able to answer this question for you.
    I will ask, thanks!

kieranwest no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me:)
    I checked out BlackBerry universe to no avail tonight as it was quasi down....I will be talking to the developmental relationship manager tomorrow AM to see if he can give me some more low level details ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast