Forgive me if this has already been discussed; I searched but didn't find what I ... BlackBerry Curve forum

Alienwhere no está en línea Stack level 2

Questions about restoring databases

Advertisement

Forgive me if this has already been discussed; I searched but didn't find what I was looking for. That being said, if someone can point me to a thread as opposed to keeping this one going, that would be fine as well.

I know more than I'd care to about Windows Mobile, having used those devices for years. The Curve is my first BB, and although I'm very comfortable with it, there are still a few things I'm unsure of.

My main question is this: if I were to mess up my system to the point that I would do a wipe to factory settings and start over, if I restore my databases from a backup I made, am I restoring any problems I had prior to the wipe?

I would always make a "clean" image of my phone the way I wanted it, with any customizations, on WM. I keep a pretty light system on my Curve, so it's not a big deal for me to do a reset like that, but I don't know how the database restore actually works. I looked at what is being restored within the backup file, but is it akin to the WM registry? That is to say, would issues causing the phone to not perform well be added to those backup files I might make?

I like trying out new software and themes, but I've noticed after I do it for a while, my Curve runs a little slower and doesn't seem as snappy. If I wipe it, it goes right back to feeling really quick again.

So can anyone help out with some general backup/restore answers? As I said, if I missed a thread, I apologize. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

END OF LINE

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    Hello Alien welcome to the Stacks,

Depending on the issues if you restore onto a clean slate the problem may or may not come back. If you're wiping the device it should be your complete last resort. Most conflicts can be solved by just uninstalling the application that is causing the issue.

If you're getting JVM errors then something on the actual OS is corrupt and then you will have to reload the OS.

You can restore selectively if you go into the Advanced Button and choose the database that you would like.

Anytime you restart it takes just a little bit to have the device running smoothly again. Is it still sluggish once it has completely reboot and you're a few minutes in?

I'm sorry I have never used a WM device and have tried to avoid it at all costs
    Are you actually having issues with your device now?
    Last edited by reddog187; 03-12-2008 at 12:25 AM.

Thanks for the info (and the welcome), reddog - no, I'm actually not having any issues right now. Occasionally mail seems to get hung up, but I re-send the service books and things seems better for a while.

I had noticed that after installing and un-installing several different apps and themes, even with them gone, I was "missing" memory that re-appeared after I wiped the device. So I ended up having issues with a Curve, sending it back to AT&T and getting a new one, and decided to not re-install my backup but just set my options manually again.

I've noticed what you said about being a little sluggish after restarting. I got used to that, and that's not what I'm thinking of. To be quite honest, I'm still getting used to not restarting my device one or more times daily just to keep it working properly (as I did with WM). You've done yourself a service to avoid it.

I also noticed the selective restore, and I may end up using that function in the future. I guess I was just wondering how the OS worked as far as this was all concerned. From the sound of it, most issues are fixed by dropping the offending app and possibly doing a quick restart.

I guess I just won't worry too much about it. Even if I did have to wipe, it only takes about 20-30 minutes for me to be up and running the way I was, compared to 1-2 hrs with WM.

I'm more than happy to leave that kind of stuff behind.

END OF LINE

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    Yeah, the blackberry OS is considerably more stable than WM.

I would just keep an eye on your Free Memory. If you don't have Security Enabled and activated the Memory Cleaner I would suggest you do that. If you have a holster with a sleep magnet also you can have it clean everytime you holster. It's a nice little function.

Keep and eye on what applications are running also. There will always be the Basic 5(homescreen, BBM, Messages, Browser, Phone) but if you have anymore it maybe cause some sluggishness. I have Empower, BBAlerts, and Viigo on top of my five and it's usually never bogged down on me.

Also if you do have an offending Application you can always check the Log. ALT+L,G,L,G. If any application is causing issues it will be in BOLD. Then you at least narrow it down.

Let us know if we can help you any further, and welcome to the more stable world

Ok, so first, how would I enable security and activate the memory cleaner?

Second, I checked my log, and found these entries in bold:

E net.rim.otafm - TERR - 8321
    E net.rim.otafm - ?TRN - 8321
    E net.rim.mdp - TEma

S Java Exception - NullPointerException (5x)

E net.rim.istp - TEfa

So are these things I should be concerned with?

I do in fact have a holster, so how would I set it up to clean the memory upon holstering? Is that even really necessary (or is it just a tweaker luxury)?

Also, I uninstalled BBM because I never use it at all, so I have one less thing running consistently. Viigo is always on, though.

My free memory always seems ok, though - at best somewhere close to (or slightly in excess of) 23 and at worst, when a lot is going on around 18-19.

(Oh - and uh, sorry for getting off topic a bit.)
    Last edited by Alienwhere; 03-12-2008 at 09:22 AM.

END OF LINE