I just got a BB Curve through tmobile. Great phone by the way. Now I've ... BlackBerry Curve forum

xendlessxfirex no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Questions about GPS capability

Advertisement

I just got a BB Curve through tmobile. Great phone by the way.

Now I've been reading up about the Curves GPS capabilities. From what I've learned, the curve don't have a gps reciever built in. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but if I buy a bluetooth GPS reciever and pair it up with my curve via bluetooth, ill be able to get free GPS turn by turn directions... Right?

Now I also heared that you can pay for a program like telenav or something like that.. But it doesnt make sense cause the curve don't have a gps receiver... Unless they have another way around it..

I don't know obviously I seriously confused about this. All I want is turn by turn directions with my curve.

Any sugggestions will help. Thanks in advance!
    "Wealth Is Hidden From Those Who Must Do It All Themselves, Wealth Exposes Itself to Those Patient Enough to Train Others."

nvisi0n no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30B4DB5C

Re: Questions about GPS capability

Ok, here is a rundown! On the T-Mobile variant of the Curve there is NO internal GPS. To use actual GPS you would have to purchase a bluetooth GPS receiver. Google Maps has a GPS-like feature that triangulates your approximate location by cell site signal strengths. This is general accurate to a quarter mile or so. If you purchase the GPS module you can pair it up with a number of services. If you are looking for a setup like what you will find installed in a car, with turn-by-turn spoken directions you will have to use a pay service like TeleNav (the best one) or MapQuest. If you would just like a list of the directions you need to take Google Maps works great for free. I hope this helps.

sgtdisturbed47 no está en línea Stack level 3

Buy yourself a Bluetooth GPS receiver or GPS "puck". I bought an iBlue 737 on Amazon.com for $55 bucks.

It doesn't come with a program for GPS navigation, so you have to download and install one on your Curve.

The best free one, Nav4All, has turn-by-turn voice directions with real-time tracking and real-time recalculation if you go off course (like if you have to get off the freeway because traffic is nasty, and you can set it to recalculate if you go off course by a certain distance), and there are quite a few driving style presets for different types of navigation, like Easy Rider, No Highways, 60 MPH highways, and Shortest Distance (among many others). The program is very easy to use and quick to learn. It takes some input when you first use it, like your home address, work address, etc, and you can navigate to any address starting from your GPS-tracked location.

It doesn't have the cool 3D map that TeleNav does, but it's free and it works very well. Besides, looking at a map while driving... not wise.

xendlessxfirex no está en línea Stack level 1

Thanks for the reply guys. I just ordered me a bluetooth gps receiver through amazon. Now the hard part is waiting for it to arrive haha. By the way can you provide an OTA link for that free Nav4all sgt? Thanks.
    "Wealth Is Hidden From Those Who Must Do It All Themselves, Wealth Exposes Itself to Those Patient Enough to Train Others."

bonebox no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ just go to http://nav4all.com from your blackberry browser and click the download link.

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no

I also bought the iBlue 737. Excellent puck and a great combo to the 8320. The program you decide to pair it with really is up to your individual tastes/needs and if you're willing to pay a monthly service charge. I've very pleased with Mapquest and found it fit my uses the best.

f1
    f1 no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by bonebox View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ just go to your blackberry browser and click the download link.
    Can I use this software in a 8310 ?

rammerjammer no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    wilsticu

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~yep. NAV4ALL is free. Telenav and Mapquest are subscription type navigation.

bonebox no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by f1 View Post
    Can I use this software in a 8310 ?
    Yes.