Hi there, i am very interested in getting an 8320. I cannot figure out from ... BlackBerry Curve forum

bimmian no está en línea Stack level 2

Question about WiFi on 8320

Advertisement

Hi there, i am very interested in getting an 8320.
    I cannot figure out from the resources i have seen whether the following would be true:

if my 8320 was configured for and within range of my home wifi network and i wanted to visit a webpage on the phone, would it use wifi or edge?

Ditto for retreiving email messages

I am on the rogers network, and i know the VOIP handoff part will not work but what about these others.

This would give me the ability to downgrade my data plan as i am within wifi range 80% of the time, be it at home or work,

Thanks in advance

mi0j no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    AskMe4It

Re: Question about WiFi on 8320

From what it looks like, the default browser uses edge, but if you go into Browser Configuration under options, you can switch it to a wifi Browser. It is not very fast and there have been speed tests done on BGR, but it does download higher resolution pics.

ddmaxx007 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24243e18

I use the 8320 and with wifi enabled as soon as you get within the wifi area the 8320 automatically detects it and moves over to the wifi. Browser and email automatically go through wifi and although i did not sign up for the at home connection the phone moves over to UMA for stronger reception. Hope this helps!

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee
    Quote Originally Posted by mi0j View Post
    From what it looks like, the default browser uses edge, but if you go into Browser Configuration under options, you can switch it to a wifi Browser. It is not very fast and there have been speed tests done on BGR, but it does download higher resolution pics.
    I would disagree with the speed tests done on BGR. There are so many other factors involved in wifi speed. I find that the wifi speeds on my 8320 are 2-3 times faster than edge. I won't even browse via edge anymore unless its a necessity, as it now seems turtle-like.

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

I agree with Todd

jkai2188 no está en línea Stack level 5

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~agreed. My wifi is so much faster then the edge speeds. Plus when loading a page with wifi you can start to scroll down before the page has been loaded, but if you load one on edge you can scroll down but when its done loading its scrolls all the way back to the top.

Thanks everyone for your insight. I will probably get the 8320 then.
    I do a lot of international roaming and end up just turning off email delivery to save high international MB charges, but now i can leave it on when i am within wifi range, great, thanks!

i dont know if this makes a difference, but i am on a BES server, so the real-time sync of phonebook and calendar, and email download to the device will all go Wifi when within range?

One other thing: What about if i am in a country that has NO EDGE/GPRS support, or if i am using a foreign simcard that has no GPRS access, would the phone still connect to BES over WIFI?

Thx

allywallydally no está en línea Stack level 1

ok i have the 8320 and i was wondering if i didn't buy the hotspot connection, can i still connect to wifi?

apparently i have been able to.. but i do not know what i get from it, like if i can actually go online or if its just connected with no service.

thanks!

alice

Encrypt no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241BC6F6

You can use the wifi without even turning on the gsm/edge radio. I believe that it will still synk with a BES over wifi. I can still connect to my BIS with just wifi. I can see in the wifi diagnostics that rhere is a check for bes/bis connections.

Thanks for all your help.
    i bought the 8320 and it works great.
    i am able to access 90% of items over wifi
    Strangely: opera 4 works over wifi but ONLY if my simcard is in. GSm radio does not need to be on, but SIM needs to be in.

QUESTION: i think the answer to this is NO, but if i want to force all data to go over Wifi, but still have the ability to make voice/data calls is there any way to do this?

the only way i found to force data over wifi turns off the GSM radio.

When i am roaming i dont want to incur high roaming data charges, but still want to get calls.

Thanks

vfresh2001 no está en línea Stack level 1

what is the point to have wi-fi without fully access internet? i ddon't have data plan but have wi-fi connection from my router. i can't access to internet, aim, yahoo. or bb maps. do i need to get data plan or other services to get these working. thanks.

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

Quote Originally Posted by bimmian View Post
    Thanks for all your help.
    i bought the 8320 and it works great.
    i am able to access 90% of items over wifi
    Strangely: opera 4 works over wifi but ONLY if my simcard is in. GSm radio does not need to be on, but SIM needs to be in.

QUESTION: i think the answer to this is NO, but if i want to force all data to go over Wifi, but still have the ability to make voice/data calls is there any way to do this?

the only way i found to force data over wifi turns off the GSM radio.

When i am roaming i dont want to incur high roaming data charges, but still want to get calls.

Thanks
    You could go into mobile network setup and select wifi only for the connection settings and that should allow all data over the wifi and still allow voice call (if no wifi is available then you could temporarily change the settings to allow data over GPRS if needed).

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

Quote Originally Posted by vfresh2001 View Post
    what is the point to have wi-fi without fully access internet? i ddon't have data plan but have wi-fi connection from my router. i can't access to internet, aim, yahoo. or bb maps. do i need to get data plan or other services to get these working. thanks.
    Need more info, such as what device you have (I know this is the curve forum, but we get these tyoes of answers from Pearl user as well as 8800 users, or just those that think that their device has wifi even though it doesn't), who is yur provider (you could be usin unlocked on another provider and that would change the way things are handled), what country you are in (data plan rates can be expensive in other countries), and what you are trying to do with the device.

If with T-Mo you could have them send the BB enabler service book to get some of those features back (yahoo, aim, internet) but alot of the BBB specific might not work as alot are routed through the RIM servers and they would not allow you access to that info without the data plan. You really should pnioy up the dollars and get the data plan as the device is not even half of what it could be without the data plan.