Ok so I'm starting a new job. My job is going to setup me up ... BlackBerry Curve forum

explorer125 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    208f1fc5

question about outlook

Advertisement

Ok so I'm starting a new job. My job is going to setup me up with an outlook email addy. My ??? Is I am on bis and was wondering if I can sync my bis bb with a work addy and if so how
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Are they settng you up on a BES system or will you just have a work e-mal that you access through Outlook? My situation is the latter, but I can access my work e-mail through Outlook Web Access (OWA) which therefore allows me to set up my work e-mail in my BIS account.

mikedoan no está en línea Stack level 3
    I manage our company's IT systems and Exchange etc.. I found the following on another site which I can't link to here on the stacks... so... here's my version...

Depending on how tight (or loose) their IT policy is, and how easily the IT management can be bribed..

I'd get them them to add a contact in active directory.. call the name of that contact "yourname" and set it's email address as your BIS address.
    get them to set a forward from your exchange account to the new contact..

This will get your work email to your BB..

next..

login to your BIS site on the internet and edit the BIS account..
    Set the reply address the same as your actual work email account..
    Also, set auto BCC to your work email account..

This will make sure any email you send from your BB via that account will appear as though from your work account, and will send a copy to your work email address (i.e. it will end up in your outlook)

Next..

While logged into your BIS site, add a filter to the account.. set the filter to not deliver email from your work account..

This will stop you from getting emails you send out from your BB (and are being BCC'd to your work account) sent back to your BB.

Lastly..

In Outlook.. setup a rule that any email received from your work email account to your work email account are moved to your sent items folder..

Whew... any prob's give me a PIN or PM..
    BB 7100g (R.I.P.)
    BB Pearl 8100 (R.I.P.)
    BB BOLD 9000 (on the shelf)
    BB STORM (R.I.P.)

iPhone4

Here are instructions for setting up your BIS to access OWA:

Next. If the This is a personal email account option is selected, complete the following steps:
    If the This is a work email account option is selected, complete these steps:
    1. Select I will provide the settings to add this email account if you access the account using POP or IMAP settings. Click Next.
    2. Type the messaging server name, the user name, and the correct password (Microsoft Outlook Web Access URL and Mailbox Name for a Microsoft Outlook Web Access account) in the appropriate fields. Click Next.
    POP or IMAP

If the following message is displayed, the integration is complete. Click OK.
    Last edited by RogerG; 03-19-2009 at 03:17 PM.

ice44 no está en línea Stack level 5
    One thing you need to remember is this...if you redirect your email to a personal device without letting your IT/Company know you can be fired. Most companies have a data security policy to try and protect the company from being held liable for all the data if they should be sued in the event the data got into the wrong hands.

For example: we dont allow users to have any Company data on their PDA, USB Thumb drives, or Blackberries unless they are issued and controled by IT. This way when the courts come to us and say WE NEED TO KNOW ALL THE PLACES YOUR EMAILS AND DATA ARE STORED we point them to our data servers and portable devices and show that they are encypted and we control them.

also keep in mind that all of these emails you have forward now sit on your carriers BIS server and they can see everything you receive/send.....not saying they would or do....but it's been know for employees to review peoples emails and what if this person saw some information in a email that they could use to sue someone or blackmale a company.....case in point ENRON data...after the company thought they distroyed all of their data some files were found on a PDA that someone was syncing up to their Outlook....

Just becareful....might be worth asking what the IT DATA SECURITY Policy is before you go an sync your Outlook.
    Last edited by ice44; 03-19-2009 at 03:49 PM.
    The young man knows the rules, and the old man will enforce them!

Thanks for chiming in, Ice!

stnkyq2 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    IMTHTG
    I am going to try this out to see if I can add my work account! I will let you'll know if I am successful..
    "A clear cut vision is the best path to success.. persistence is the vehicle you arrive in..." -Rev. Run

Crackberry @ddict for LIFE..........

ice44 no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by stnkyq2 View Post
    I am going to try this out to see if I can add my work account! I will let you'll know if I am successful..
    Remember....you company has to have an outward facing OWA ( Outlook Web Access ) setup so that the BIS can connect to it...I am 97% of that...LOL...
    The young man knows the rules, and the old man will enforce them!

explorer125 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    208f1fc5
    My main concern is scyncing the calendar with mine so I don't have to input everything one at a time.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

stnkyq2 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    IMTHTG
    Quote Originally Posted by ice44 View Post
    Remember....you company has to have an outward facing OWA ( Outlook Web Access ) setup so that the BIS can connect to it...I am 97% of that...LOL...
    Okay... Just so I understand; what is an "Outward facing OWA?" One of the guys here just got it to work on his Sprint Vue or which ever one it is.. His connected right away and he did it from his phone. I tried several times from the BB and then logged on to my BIS from the computer and it failed everytime... I know I am missing something..... I followed the steps exactly from the instructions above....
    "A clear cut vision is the best path to success.. persistence is the vehicle you arrive in..." -Rev. Run

Crackberry @ddict for LIFE..........

Make sure you have the server name right, stnky.....most likely somthing like mail.yourcompanyname.com. Should be the same URL you type in to Internet Explorer, minus the http://.

Here are complete instructions for adding e-mail accounts to BIS, including another method for adding an OWA account that might work for you.