If I bought a brand new UNLOCKED T-Mobile 8320 and used it on the AT&T ... BlackBerry Curve forum

ChrisMc73 no está en línea Stack level 3

Question about locked PINs?

Advertisement

If I bought a brand new UNLOCKED T-Mobile 8320 and used it on the AT&T network for 3 months, then sold it to someone who is going to use it on the T-Mobile network, or any other besides AT&T, would I have to call AT&T and have them "release" the PIN for another network to use before the buyer could use the phone?

I'm selling one, and he's worried about this issue, I dont mind calling, but do I need to?
    What would lock the PIN? I'm hoping I don't have to, but again, don't mind, whatever to get it to work for him.

Thanks.
    Last edited by ChrisMc73; 02-19-2008 at 07:03 AM.

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Re: Question about locked PINs?

Yes, you need to contact AT&T and tell them to release the PIN. If you don't, the next person will still get any BIS email that you have set up - even without registering or getting the service books. BIS email delivery is based solely on PIN.

When my wife purchased a BB from a co-worker, she started getting email from some strange email address - but NOT the person she got it from, it was the person the co-worker bought it from! It took a week to track down that person and get that person to "unregister" the PIN.

The new owner may not receive your email if they're on a different network, but they won't be able to register the PIN until it's released.
    JerryD

Bluebell Wood no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    You will not get the previous owners email unless the service books are still active but you do need to have the pin released from their BIS account to enable the new owner to add it to their BIS account.
    Just call the carrier & it will be done for no cost.

I didn't use BIS, I was using it with my works BES, I've wiped, is this still cause to call and release? I've also reactivated a different BB Curve 8310 with my account, so why would AT&T still be holding that old phones PIN?
    Last edited by ChrisMc73; 02-19-2008 at 12:34 PM.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

If you have put another blackberry on your service and changed the pin's on your account you have released the old pin for reuse.

Zo

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

Unlocking a phone and a registered pin should be 2 different things. The phone is unlocked to use on another network. If you registered the pin on the bis site, you'll have to call and have them release it. If you didn't wiping the phone should be alright, but you might want to get rid of the IT policy left behind by the BES.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Ok the IT Policy was an issue, that was resolved, I did also have my "internet" POP3 accounts on this sold phone, so I guess I was using BES and the POP3 via the AT&T web page where you can setup your phone with your emails via your PIN etc...I did that with this sold phone, BUT, since then I've also redone it with my current phone I'm using, so in essence would that have released the Tmobile phone I've sold from the registered PIN with AT&T? I guess call wouldn't hurt...but I think its ok?

In other words, the phone I sold, was using BES and 8 POP accounts via the AT&T/BlackBerry setup web page. https://att.blackberry.com/

But when I sold this phone, I had to remove the PIN from here and add my current phone's PIN to this site, is that going to release the previous one? So the same setup I had when I was using the 8320, is now on my 8310...I had to have released the PIN when I switched to the 8310?
    Last edited by ChrisMc73; 02-19-2008 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigotek View Post
    If you have put another blackberry on your service and changed the pin's on your account you have released the old pin for reuse.

Zo
    This is basically what I did! I have a different BB now, and redid all my emails https://att.blackberry.com/ here...and my BES is recreated and I'm all 100% with this other phone.

So I think, according to this post, that 8320 is ready to be used anywhere...

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Theoretically. Of course that depends on the buyer's carrier but as far as your end, other than wiping the phone to remove all of your personal info and settings it sounds like you have done everything you need to do.

Zo

Thanks Zo, I thought so, if not, I'll work with him, I don't want to sell him a phone that doesn't work, I'm not out to do that. I think I'm good now after hearing you all talk about this.