I tried searching through the forums and I see a lot of people saying "it ... BlackBerry Curve forum

draiko no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    PM Me!

Question Question about Alltel and Verizon

Advertisement

I tried searching through the forums and I see a lot of people saying "it can't be done" but no real reason why, so I thought I'd see if I could get some further clarification.

If I were to go to Alltel and purchase an 8330 (full price, without service), then hop online to my Verizon account and 'change phones' to use their online ESN update. Could I then use *22801 to activate the phone (read on a different site that *22801 can be used when your carrier is the B side carrier vs. A side carrier, which Alltel is the A side carrier in my area)?

The process seems pretty simple and Alltel confirmed that I would have 15 days to return the phone, so I'm thinking of trying it out anyway, but I wanted to know if anyone knew if this would work? More specifically, if it won't work, can someone explain why?

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    The first problem you will run into is unlocking the phone. Even though it is CDMA it still needs to be unlocked from Alltell's network and moved over into Verizon's system. Once you have that done, you need to contact Verizon's new department that handles programming of non-vzw handsets.

Zo

kreesedup no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30bc9b43
    True ^^^ still need to unlock the handset. This will be huge WHEN they finally do this "open handset policy" that VZW & Sprint have annonced. I havent seen an update but here's this VZW's "any app any device" http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=171 Looks like its still a couple mths away.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    Verizon and Sprint are both currently supporting unlocked phones from each other (apparently they have been doing it for over a year or so but haven't told anyone about it). Whether either will support an unlocked Alltell unit I honestly don't know.

Zo

kreesedup no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30bc9b43
    http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/19/v...-any-apps-any-

Heres an update I was trying to find the website I did see the 1-800 number they have set up. On that first article I posted it dose say that both Sprint and Alltel phone are supported. Yeah, not exactly something they want to advertise. I have tried to activate a non-sprint phone (cdma of course) unsucessfully. I'll try to find that number for VZW they have a seperate dept for this. They warned no tech suppourt for non VZW handset