Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Well the phone use to have data, so maybe it had like a Facebook service ... BlackBerry Curve forum

Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASK

Advertisement

Well the phone use to have data, so maybe it had like a Facebook service book that was needed?

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Maybe I'll try redownloading it and see if I pick up anything? I don't know what else to try. It's no biggy - as I said before, I have IM+ and I can access FB via that ... as long as I have a wi-fi connection.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

somestone no está en línea Stack level 2
    ya my girlfriend cannot use any downloadable apps since she has no data plan, but the browser is pretty reasonable, besides the 8900's speed its astounding, it loads webpages faster than her laptop, she's constantly updating her facebook profile and cheking out people's profiles from her bb(8900)

Quote Originally Posted by somestone View Post
    ya my girlfriend cannot use any downloadable apps since she has no data plan, but the browser is pretty reasonable, besides the 8900's speed its astounding, it loads webpages faster than her laptop, she's constantly updating her facebook profile and cheking out people's profiles from her bb(8900)
    somestone, Be aware that many apps work wi-fi only and they will work on your wife's 8900. uberTwitter, Slacker, Pinstack Loader, Podcasts, Nobex radio streamer, FreeRange, Superpages Mobile, Opera Mini, Bold browser, and a number of other will work without at data plan. Of course BBM won't work and many will not also. You just have to try them out while you're connected to wi-fi. Sorry I didn't take the time to connect the links for those but you can find them using Google.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Keykey no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaricanese View Post
    The Facebook App by RIM does use WiFi.

I have used an 8900 on T-Mobile without a data plan on just WiFi. Everything worked except for BlackBerry Email, BBM, and the IM services like AIM, Yahoo Messenger, etc.
    Opera/9.60 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.14320/554; U; en) Presto/2.2.0

Keykey no está en línea Stack level 1
    My question is if you download a third party app or theme will I be charged a data fee if I'm running just a UMA connection?

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    I can tell a noticible difference when I am running WIFI vs EDGE, its like 4xs as fast!!!! If you are PPU, I would check on it some more becuse unless you can change it to hotspot browser, than you may get a fat bill!

HTH

THB
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

kparker8900 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    I am stumped as to why nobody has brought this up. You are connected to wifi if the wifi symbol on your phone is lit up. While in the browser if it says wifi in the top right corner then you are using wifi and if it says edge then you are on the carriers network. Lots of apps allow you to set wifi only so if you loose wifi it won't start using your data. I am on rogers as well with a 500mb a month data plan and I have not come close to even using 100 megs of that. Yet I have gigabytes of wifi data downloaded when I check mobile data alerter. This proves rogers allows you to use wifi on there phones.
    BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107

Quote Originally Posted by Keykey View Post
    My question is if you download a third party app or theme will I be charged a data fee if I'm running just a UMA connection?
    One way to make sure you aren't charged for data, IF you have a wi-fi connection, is to turn off your radio while you DL. Go to "manage connections" and uncheck "mobile network" - don't forget to turn it back on when you're finished because you can't get calls, etc. with it off. Hope that helps.

FYI, here's a small list of the applications that will work wi-fi only: uberTwitter, Slacker, Pinstack Loader, Podcasts, Nobex radio streamer, FreeRange, Superpages Mobile, Opera Mini, Bold browser
    Last edited by jblackfish; 09-02-2009 at 10:08 AM.

Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    One way to make sure you aren't charges for data, IF you have a wi-fi connection, is to turn off your radio while you DL. Go to "manage connections" and uncheck "mobile network" - don't forget to turn it back on when you're finished because you can't get calls, etc. with it off. Hope that helps.

FYI, here's a small list of the applications that will work wi-fi only: uberTwitter, Slacker, Pinstack Loader, Podcasts, Nobex radio streamer, FreeRange, Superpages Mobile, Opera Mini, Bold browser
    Unless you are with T-Mobile, because on UMA you can make calls and receive text via WIFI using your regular minutes and text plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaricanese View Post
    Unless you are with T-Mobile, because on UMA you can make calls and receive text via WIFI using your regular minutes and text plan.
    Right, Jaricanese. Thanks for the correction. I was with T-Mobile for a while and I actually turned off my wi-fi unless I was browsing the internet because about 1 in 2 calls I got while the wi-fi was on got dropped. That's NOT anything against using wi-fi - I loved it and it's fast. It's probably just the area that I'm in because the carrier service was quite "iffy" in my area too.

Chris44 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quick question.. Do you need a data plan in order to use the browser on Wi-fi?

Edit: I have T-Mobile. Thanks.

Chris44, no you don't need a data plan to browse wi-fi - I do it all the time on my 8900.
    BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.160 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/106

Chris44 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    Chris44, no you don't need a data plan to browse wi-fi - I do it all the time on my 8900.
    BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.160 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/106
    Can I get push email? Will apps work with wi-fi? Like ESPN and Pinstack Launcher?

My GF came over and I tried to hook up her phone to my wi-fi network. It connected and on the top right it said "uma" I called my phone and sent a SMS both went threw, but when I clicked on the browser we got an error. Are there some kind of settings I need to change to get the browser to work? Thanks.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    "uma" means that the phone didn't connect to BB's server for data purposes. It shows that you are connected over wi-fi but with no data (similar to "edge" and EDGE). You may have something in your router's firewall that is blocking it. One way to check it is to try a public hotspot and see what happens there.

Zo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast