Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've just down loaded ABC Amber. I can see in the "Contacts" there's space for ... BlackBerry Curve forum

Rob1960 no está en línea Stack level 2

In-putting database into BB 8300 & ABC Amber software

Advertisement

I've just down loaded ABC Amber. I can see in the "Contacts" there's space for email addresses, but not phone numbers. My objective is to prepare a database exactly as I want it, then covert to an IPD file and download to my blackberry. What's the best way to do this , if not with ABC Amber? I don't want to in-put 300+ names, emails, phones, into the BB one contact at a time

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: In-putting database into BB 8300 & ABC Amber software

I would use the Desktop manager's capability to sync (Import and export) a character separated ASCII file with the Blackberry. The easiest way would be to completely fill in one entry in your BB then using the synchronize settings set up an export to a text file. Import that file into an Excel file or other program that can import character separated text files. Use that format to enter all your contacts, then Export if from the Spreadsheet and Import it back into the BB with the sync app.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Thanks Rcbjr. I have just created and edited a CSV file which opens in Excell, containing all the contacts I want imported to my BB 8300. Column A contains the person's last name. B is their first & last name. C is their email address, and D is phone number. Some names do not have BOTH phone & email. I'm open to any suggestions about a better way to do it. Also, I can't figure out how to import this file from Excell into the BB using the sync function of Desktop Manager version 4.3.0.15 . could you give me a quick Step 1, 2, 3 on the proceedure to do that. Thanks very much. Rob

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Quote Originally Posted by Rob1960 View Post
    Thanks Rcbjr. I have just created and edited a CSV file which opens in Excell, containing all the contacts I want imported to my BB 8300. Column A contains the person's last name. B is their first & last name. C is their email address, and D is phone number. Some names do not have BOTH phone & email. I'm open to any suggestions about a better way to do it. Also, I can't figure out how to import this file from Excell into the BB using the sync function of Desktop Manager version 4.3.0.15 . could you give me a quick Step 1, 2, 3 on the proceedure to do that. Thanks very much. Rob
    I'm not really positive about re-inputing it but this should work. Don't really have time to play with it tonight. If it doesn't work, I play with it tomorrow and correct any problems.

1. Edit all your contact information in excel
    2. Save it as a CSV file (Remember the name)
    3. Connect BB to PC
    4. Open Desktop Manager
    5. Open Synchronization
    6. Click on Configuration Tab
    7. Click on Configure Button.
    8. Select Contacts and ASCII
    9. Enter File name.
    10. Put Check mark beside Import.
    11. Close
    12. Click on Synchronize Now button.

That should do it.

But make sure you mapping is correct. That is why I suggested you export the file first from the BB so that you already have the correct field order.
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

cfrench no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

What is all this for? If you don't mind me asking!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

To Rcbjr - Thank you for the detailed instructions. I seem to be have trouble finding the right path. I just tried to sync the CSV file, and it's not showing up on the BB. I've got to leave and work on this again this afternoon. If you can think of any other details of how to make this exchange of data, it would be most gratefully appreciated. Thanks again.

To cfrench - My purpose is to transfer the large number of contacts from my old Nokia cell phone to the brand new BB 8300. But I also want to edit the contact file, and add email addresses and other data fields to the old information. Also wanted to delete some old names and add some new ones. My BB will be used mostly for buiness. Being able to easily see and edit all the data in an Excell format seems extremely useful. Now I'm trying to get that new updated file back into the BB. Doing it manually, one name at a time would be a grueling task.

Robt

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

As I said, you need to make sure you mapping is correct.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

It's the mapping path I'm not sure how to do. If you could give me some pointers on that, I think everything else will fall into place.

thanks, Robt

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Once Again, start from the BB. The easiest way would be to completely fill in one contact entry in your BB then using the synchronize settings set up an export to a text file. Use that file for the layout of the excel file. It will have the columns already mapped and you can determine which need to be filled in and with what. Just copy all the appropriate information to the correct column. Complete the process I listed above.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

Re: Exporting FROM BB ... almost ready to throw it out the window

I'm about ready to throw it out the window! All attempts at syscronization lead to dead ends, error messages, or wrong applications. Can somebody tell me how to do an export FROM the BB to a text file, as suggested above? Thanks.

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Here you go.

1. Connect BB to PC
    2. Open Desktop Manager
    3. Click Synchronize
    4. Click the Configuration Tab.
    5. Click on Configure sync
    6. Select Address Book
    7. Click Choose
    8. Select ASCII Importer/Exporter
    9. Set the Export Button
    10. Create a Text file,
      1. Click on Browse,
      2. Browse to the directory where you want the file
      3. Click Open.
      4. Enter file name and extension to save as
      5. If the file doesn't exist you will be asked to create the file, Click Yes.
    11. Click OK
    12. Click on the Options Button
    13. Set Tab and Double Quotes as the options
    14. Click Ok
    15. Click OK again
    16. Click on the Synchronize Tab
    17. Click Synchronize Now button.
    18. Respond to the prompts to complete the process

I just verified that this is the complete procedure for exporting your BB Address Book from the BB to the PC

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

RCBjr- Thanks for the specific export directions. It all saved into a CVS file which I've attached. What I'm needing to know now is how to use this data, and prepare my list of contact data [also in a CVS format] to re-syncronize and import back into the BB. I tired taking my edited cvs file and copy and pasting into the file that just came from the BB. But that didn't seem to look productive. I'm sorry to be so dense on this. And thanks for your help.

Robt
    Attached Images Attached Images

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

You did use the Tab Setting didn't you? If so and you edited it in Excel, when you save it, save it back to the same csv file in the same format. Then repeat the procedure above except in step 9 select the Import button, and in step 10 select the file to import Don't know if there are any other changes later in the process but if so, they should be really straight forward.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

Do I have to use the format shown in the attachments of the previous post? They seem to suggest all the 200+ names would be alphabetized by first name. Can I change that? I very much need it by last name. Actually, I only need just a few fields on my BB contact list....ie: Last name; first name; phone numbers, and email address. Yes, The edited version is in Excell cvs format. How do I SAVE it BACK to the same cvs file in the same format? Does that mean cut and paste the colums back into same cvs file? thanks.

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Once you import it back into the BB Address book, you can use options for the sort. I use last name also. For save it back use the Save as, select text files browse to where it was opened from and select the file name you opened. It should save with the same format as it was when opened.

And don't worry about the empty fields. Doing it this way just eliminates you having to manually change the filed mapping.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast