Hello -- first post here although I've done a lot of reading over the last ... BlackBerry Curve forum

dnels no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Problem with echo on outgoing calls on 8300 and 8310

Advertisement

Hello -- first post here although I've done a lot of reading over the last year.

I got an 8300 last July and loved it except for a persistent echo that is so annoying! It seems to only happen on outgoing calls. It is my voice that echos and only I can hear it; the person I've called does not hear the echo. I thought it was a service issue (Cingular, now AT&T), but when I was in a store in May I asked about it and was told it's a device issue. I googled it and saw that others had experienced this problem with the 8300 so I exchanged under warranty for an 8310. I've been using the 8310 for about 5 weeks, and just heard the echo on an outgoing call! After doing some more online reading, I see that the 8310 is supposed to have echo cancellation. Is this the type of echo that is supposed to be canceled in the 8310? I'm not seeing that a lot of people are having this problem with the 8310.

Can anyone tell me whether this is a device issue or a service issue? My one-year warranty expires over the holiday weekend, so I basically have tomorrow to start yet another warranty exchange if that's what I need to do. But this would be a waste of time if the problem is really on the service side.

Thanks so much!
    Debbie

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    debbie -- welcome to posting

before handing it in for a warranty exchange, maybe update the OS to the most current?

i get that every once in awhile with my 8310 but also have got the same thing on other bb's and other cells. so not 100% sure it is a device problem (the carriers always want to blame the cells and vice versa)

lalctaylor no está en línea Stack level 3
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I agree with Cherri about the different handsets. With my 8700, I heard an echo more often, with the 8310, only every now and then. I have noticed (actually today, before seeing this post), that it tends to happen near an intersection near work. Could this be a tower issue?

lalctaylor no está en línea Stack level 3
    Oh yeah, how rude of me. Welcome to the Stacks. Happy posting. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Thanks for the reply! I see from my profile that maybe I posted a message before...can't remember it!

I reviewed my warranty exchange info and I think I've got a little more time to figure this out, as it reads greater of original warranty or 90 days. Thanks for the advice about the OS. I'll do that and see how it goes.

Before I did the warranty exchange for this issue, I had noticed that the "echo calls" were becoming more frequent, but I was not noticing any pattern at all. At first, I could disconnect and call back and the echo would be gone, but at some point it became more the norm that the echo would still be there on the second try. It's incredibly annoying! My husband got an 8300 a month or so after me, and he's never heard the echo. I don't really think it's a tower problem in my case.

Elreed1 no está en línea Stack level 1
    I had the same issue and finally determined it was a bad 3G SIM. Had to contact AT&T and they arranged for me to take it to local store and replace SIM at no cost. Problem gone...

Thanks for the feedback on your resolution...will keep that in mind as a possibility.

nashmax no está en línea Stack level 1
    Obscure observation, but I noticed that if you turn the hearing aid compatibility on, the echo stops. How wierd.

Enough with the wrok around, I am going to try a new SIM tomorrow. Many thanks to dnels for bringing this up!